View Full Version : 16in barrel LR 308?

09-28-2010, 1:43 PM
What would my effective rang be? How much would I gain going to an 18 or 20 in barrel? My friend the " gunsmith " is telling me I'm cutting my self off short. I'm trying to keep this build light/ accurate as possible( I realize I may have to sacrifice weight for accuracy/precision, I'm ok with that) . I'll be using the gun for range work/ hogs/ deer for now but eventually want to get into shooting longer ranges.

09-28-2010, 1:59 PM
Well I had no problem nailing the little piggy at 600 yards with my 16" .308 LMT, and I seemed to have no problems with shooting rocks at ~~700 yards as well.

You will obviously gain velocity and range with more barrel length, but its up to you how far you want to shoot and with what kind of precision you require.

For me, nailing that piggy at 600 and the rocks at 700 is fine. Im sure it would be fine for human sized steel out at 800 too, and Im fine with that. I dont need extreme precision at those ranges.

Just make sure to be realistic about your requirements for your semi-auto.

09-28-2010, 3:24 PM

09-28-2010, 3:54 PM
If long range(beyond 600 yards) is a serious consideration I would at least step up to an 18" barrel. I only shoot with pretty basic irons so I'm not super big on accuracy but I have no issue hitting steel out to 300 yards with bad eyesight.

09-28-2010, 4:38 PM
You'll lose a bit of velocity but not enough to keep you from out of battle rifle range. As long as you keep that in mind and not treat it like a precision rifle then you'll be fine.