PDA

View Full Version : I thought the prince50 mag lock was a no-no

high_revs
09-28-2010, 1:41 PM
But yet I still see some vendors selling it. I read the description many times to make sure my head injury over the weekend isn't getting the better of me (required stitches). But it is indeed the original mag lock that makes you top load (I had one years back).

I didn't see anything changing from recent searches but it makes me wonder if the PRK DA's backed off on the prince50 since many abused it (turning the screw back to make mag release possible w/o a tool) for rifles that require a bullet button? I'm surprised manufacturers are still making it?

ocspeedracer
09-28-2010, 1:44 PM
the newest bullett button can be made to work like a prince50 or a BB or a normal mag release button. Don't see why it would be a no-no, unless you configure to release w/o the tool.

E Pluribus Unum
09-28-2010, 1:47 PM
But yet I still see some vendors selling it. I read the description many times to make sure my head injury over the weekend isn't getting the better of me (required stitches). But it is indeed the original mag lock that makes you top load (I had one years back).

I didn't see anything changing from recent searches but it makes me wonder if the PRK DA's backed off on the prince50 since many abused it (turning the screw back to make mag release possible w/o a tool) for rifles that require a bullet button? I'm surprised manufacturers are still making it?

Prince-50 can be used legally. If it is installed correctly on a stripped lower and is never loosened. The problem is, many loosen it to replace the mag, and in doing so, manufacture an AW. That, and it is easy for a LEO to "accidentally" loosen the screw, and then claim that is how he found it.

This, coupled with the convenience of the bullet button, it comes down to the only people who buy the prince-50 are those that don't know of the bullet button.

Recession
09-28-2010, 1:48 PM
As long as you use it the way it was intended to then it is legal. It is your choice if you want to turn the screw and break the law.

CSACANNONEER
09-28-2010, 1:49 PM
It has never been a no-no if used properly. The problem with it comes from idiots who do not use it properly.

high_revs
09-28-2010, 1:49 PM
Ok. Makes sense. I thought I remember CGF even commenting last year that they might not (or won't) defend against the Prince50 users prosecuted because DA's were starting to consider them illegal, most likely because idiots or those who don't know better.