PDA

View Full Version : CA assault rifles AR platform

strickmike@gmail.com
09-28-2010, 1:14 PM
If I understand correctly, a new CA legal AR 15 will not have a magazine that releases but rather it is fixed, an integral part of the gun. Top loading magazine. Am I correct? What can be the magazine capacity on a CA legal AR-15? Are there other requirements that make it CA legal?

Thanks,
Mike

Vtec44
09-28-2010, 1:18 PM
If I understand correctly, a new CA legal AR 15 will not have a magazine that releases but rather it is fixed, an integral part of the gun. Top loading magazine. Am I correct? What can be the magazine capacity on a CA legal AR-15? Are there other requirements that make it CA legal?

Thanks,
Mike

There's no PC that requires the magazine has to be fixed, only that it cannot be "detachable" if it has all the "evil" features. Detachable means it can be readily removed without the use of a tool. So, you can't just use your finger(s) to remove the magazine. As long as it requires a tool to remove the magazine, you're legal.

Non-detachable magazine release (bulletbutton)
VseNzVcIjtc

ke6guj
09-28-2010, 1:23 PM

Thanks,
Mike

you can go "featureless" and use standard detachable magazines of any capacity, or, you can go with a fixed-mag build with evil features. As a semi-auto centerfire fixed mag build, you would be limited to magazines that are <11-rounds.

Look at the AW flowchart for more info on how the law works.

KaLiFORNIA
09-28-2010, 1:29 PM
You can't get an assult rifle in ca anymore... You can get an AR 15 style rifle. Ca currently has a 10 rd mag limit unless you owned them before the ban.

Exile Machine
09-28-2010, 3:31 PM

Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,
You can go fixed magazine and limit it to 10 round mags released by a tool, or you can go with a finger-detachable magazine on a featureless rifle and run as many rounds as you like. Caveat being that if you didn't own the mags before the ban it's dang hard to legally get them now, though ownership and possession are not illegal, and you're free to borrow all you want from a buddy who stays within an "accessible vicinity" at the range.

Here are some examples of featureless guns using our Hammerhead grip:

http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP015.JPG
http://www.exilemachine.com/images/IMG_9811_C.JPG
http://www.exilemachine.com/images/customer_photos/CP014.JPG

BTW no one does top loading anymore, that's so 2005. :D

-Mark

stormy_clothing
09-28-2010, 3:35 PM
there should be a new restriction - newbs should have to search 50x before posting.

dieselpower
09-28-2010, 3:47 PM
I belong to a website that will not allow new members to start a thread unless they have posted 10 replys in other threads + the account must be over 3 days old. This gives the Mods time to review them. Posting 10, "yeah I agree" "Cool story bro" doesnt count. Any more then 4 replies like that gets you reset to zero.

Code7inOaktown
09-28-2010, 4:30 PM
You can always email him and tell him so. I think his email address is easy to find.

Rekrab
09-28-2010, 4:45 PM
Come on guys, be cool and don't hassle the new guy.

Mike, don't sweat the razzing. It's par for the course, especially with topics that are well covered in stickied threads and everywhere else.

Acquaint yourself with the Assault Weapons Flowchart that's on the top of the website. California makes it tricky. But the basic break down is that if you have a flash hider, pistol grip, folding/telescoping stock, or pistol grip you need a "bullet button" type device. These devices lock your 10 round or less magazine in place so that it cannot be released with your finger, you'll need a tool to do it.

Exile Machine showed you some great examples of "featureless" builds that can be used with a detachable magazine of any capacity.