PDA

View Full Version : Directv TiVo - dead boxes

Curtis
09-28-2010, 9:57 AM
I have two Directv TiVo boxes that have died. The hard drive have quiet on them. I did a search and the cost of replacement/repair is more than its worth (for me). My wife has talked Directv into providing a couple of new boxes for free. I'm sure that I could down load some software and swap out the drives for cheaper, but it would take more time than I'm willing to put into the project.

So if someone is interested in putting the time in, I would gladly offer them up to a good home.

NapaCountyShooter
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM
I've had probably 6 or 7 directv dvrs die in the 3 years I've had it and they will keep sending you free ones. You don't have to worry about paying to replace them. You do have to send the old ones back to them though, so you can't give them to someone else.

JDay
09-28-2010, 9:07 PM
You should get rid of the TiVo and get a Google TV box when they become available soon.

mark2203
09-28-2010, 9:11 PM
DirecTV is supposed to have a new HD DVR that supports Tivo, but it's a secret covert operation and neither company has any update on progress. I hate DirecTV's DVR. POS.

bsim
09-28-2010, 10:24 PM
Directv won't take back old Tivo boxes, they're worthless to them. I have 3 shiny new Directv DVRs and 3 boxes of what used to be Tivos collecting dust in the garage.

Man I miss Tivo.

Directv / Tivo combo boxes will be available in ... TWO WEEKS.

Sheepdog1968
09-28-2010, 10:44 PM
My girlfriend had the Dishnetwork DVRs. They aren't nearly as friendly as a TiVo but once you set up the shows you want to record it isn't so bad. It does take some getting used to though.

mark2203
09-29-2010, 5:51 AM
Directv / Tivo combo boxes will be available in ... TWO WEEKS.

You just made my morning!

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
My girlfriend had the Dishnetwork DVRs. They aren't nearly as friendly as a TiVo but once you set up the shows you want to record it isn't so bad. It does take some getting used to though.

Unless things have changed, they are the same DVRs that are used by Comcast. It does take a little getting used to, I know because I went from DTV with TIVO to Comcast, but the boxes aren't that much different.

There are hardware glitches, like some of the boxes will permanently begin to freeze once the harddrive has hit 30% capacity. By that I mean EVER. Comcast won't take my word for it, but I've had four of the HD DVR boxes do that. I'm not sure if the latest gen has fixed that, but I've been up to 60% capacity and still no freezing.