PDA

View Full Version : Here's Jeff Cooper

Old Fud
05-26-2006, 6:31 AM
We were worried about him. His commentaries hadn't been updated in a long time.

Well, He's back.
http://www.thesconce.com/

Read to the bottom.
Seems there is a new term in our vocabulary now ---- "Friscan".

Agree with him or not, the man is always interesting.

Fud

glen avon
05-26-2006, 6:39 AM
I am worried that the popmpous *** is back. he has never interested me. only irritated me.

oh well. I wish him no harm, but I also wish never to come across his self-promoting tripe ever again. reading him is like listening to Dr. Laura.

the sooner he happily retires the better for me.

I wonder how the rest of CalGuns feels? please post whether you like or dislike him and/or his commentaries.

Mute
05-26-2006, 7:10 AM
Sometimes I agree with him, sometimes I disagree. I don't see a need to insult the man, especially when it's not to his face.

glen avon
05-26-2006, 7:27 AM
if he wasn't a public figure putting his opinion out there and holding himself out as a "guru," I would agree that my opinion would hve been misplace. but that's not the case. he is just as critical in his commentaries about others.

chris
05-26-2006, 9:01 AM
don't really care for the man or his comments. i only remember him always talking about his "scout rifle" that drove me nuts. i'm sure the man has a wealth of knowledge of firearms but he is a bit arrogant in his opinions.

NRAhighpowershooter
05-26-2006, 9:57 AM
I take ALL the ex-spurts advise on shooting with a grain of salt. I have been shooting long enough and know what works and what doesn't....

eckerph
05-26-2006, 12:21 PM
don't really care for the man or his comments. i only remember him always talking about his "scout rifle" that drove me nuts.

He still is talking about his scout rifle. Never cared for it much myself or for him.

saber
05-26-2006, 12:47 PM
Am I the only one that thinks that his comments are all completely random and jump around in no particular order?

What also strikes me as odd are the breadth of areas he discusses.

I can accept that he knows a lot about guns, shooting, and other related matters. In the commentary just posted, he discussed the Cyclone radial engine, pole arms, and the African sable.

If wrote something with that train of thought, my wife would have my on ADD/ADHD meds so fast...

rkt88edmo
05-26-2006, 1:15 PM
At least you can say that he is consistent in his views and isn't just trying to wring your ear about the flavor of the month.

I view Jeff Cooper as one of the founders of practical pistol shooting technique and modern American firearms training. He really did play a pioneering role and brought up many of the expert trainers today. I don't know enough about riflery, hunting, and safaris to comment on those areas.

Mute
05-26-2006, 2:07 PM
He is critical of others, but I don't remember him insulting anyone or calling them pompous when he disagreed with their opinions.

Yute
05-26-2006, 4:16 PM
I've always wondered - is he a californian? I swear I read somewhere he was a Stanford University grad.

rkt88edmo
05-26-2006, 5:07 PM
It actually took a bit of web searching, but the anti-NRA site nraleader*com had this listed on Jeff Cooper:

BIO
Nominated for re-election by Nominating Committee. Author, lecturer, trainer. consultant. small-arms designer. Born Los Angeles. 1920. B.A. Political Science. Stanford. M.A. History, U.C.R.

Is the MA from UC Riverside?

MadMex
05-26-2006, 5:08 PM
I saw him a couple of times last year being chauffeured (presumably by his wife) around Gunsite. Regarding his physical well-being, he has definitely seen better days.

NwG
05-26-2006, 5:19 PM
Cooper is a great man.. I got to meet him a few years back in AZ. Talking with him in person really clears up much of the odd and questionable ideas you may have about him.

I would love to see sombody insult him to his face. The intellectual beat-down you would receive would be simply sweet. The old guy is still very smart and could most likely still whip most of us at the range.

glen avon
05-26-2006, 5:58 PM
yes, UCR. IIRC, he taught a member of my family history in some capacity somewhere too.

nobody doubts he is smart.

odd and questionable aren't the issue - there is no doubt in my mind he revels in it.

insult him to his face? if and whan it was appropriate, I would insult him to his face same as anybody else. for now, he expounds in writing, so it is fair to comment thereon in writing.

intellectual beat-down? don't bet on it. he hasn't won any Nobels, yet. sure, he is plenty smart and plenty qualified, but he still puts on his pants one leg at a time like we do.

whip us at the range? prolly.... that is his thing after all.

but the fact that he has been there and done that, and he has, does not justify his pompousness. but that's just his shtick. he holds himself out as a "guru" and presents his opinion in as controversial and crusty a manner as he likes. the result is that he is pompous and opinionated, and sometimes wrong. not a big deal, you probably care more about my opinion of him than he does.

rkt88edmo
05-26-2006, 7:41 PM
sure, he is plenty smart and plenty qualified, but he still puts on his pants one leg at a time like we do.

...but then he makes gold records :p

moulton
05-26-2006, 9:34 PM
I still favor the "butter-knife" bolt on the Mannlicher action. Ease of the second shot is not a critical factor and the true Scout is neater.

SHUT UP ABOUT THE $&#^ING BUTTER KNIFE BOLT ON THE MANNLICHER ACTION!!!!:mad:....

I love the "ping pon ball" type bolt on my mosin;) :D

kantstudien
05-27-2006, 3:38 AM
If it weren't for Cooper, all of you would be point shooting your handguns one-handed from the hip.