PDA

View Full Version : Magazine Springs

map
09-28-2010, 7:24 AM
What is the best way to store magazines? Should they be stored with rounds in them and left alone? Should they be rotated everyday?

I've heard two schools of thought. The first school of thought says that spring wear is caused by regular contraction and expansion of the spring. Continued contraction of the spring has little impact in wearing it out. So, it is better to leave a magazine loaded than to load and unload on a regular basis.

The second school of thought is to rotate magazines because continued contraction is more likely wear out the spring. Which do you do and why? Thanks.

Mr.Pickles
09-28-2010, 7:43 AM
I would like to know too. I personally had no issues with keeping mags loaded. I had some 30s that were loaded for about a year and worked when I went to shoot them. Still would like to know other input though.

stphnman20
09-28-2010, 7:44 AM
I once had a loaded mag stored away and couldn't find it. Years later I found it and it still worked. Like if it was brand new.

CHS
09-28-2010, 8:40 AM
Springs wear out from cycles of use. They will not just wear out by sitting loaded for years upon years.

Going to the range and using your magazines will wear them out much faster than loading one up and leaving it in your bedside table for a year.

Physics backs this up. So does anecdotal evidence of many people finding magazines from 20, 30, and even 40 years ago loaded up with rounds and then firing every single round successfully.

Milsurp Collector
09-28-2010, 11:53 AM
See http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=346550

kendog4570
09-28-2010, 11:56 AM
If a spring wears from being loaded, then it isn't a spring. I load them and dont worry. Have had some 1911 mags loaded for over 20 years. No issues.

NoExpert
09-28-2010, 12:41 PM
Grab a paper clip and bend it back and forth. It'll break right? Same thing goes on with your mag springs, load and unload them repeatedly and they wear. Loaded or empty they'll keep their strength but cycling the spring will wear it.

kendog4570
09-28-2010, 3:24 PM
Actually, I believe it is electrolysis that wears them out. What you are describing is work-hardening, which happens when you repeatedly bend something past it's yield point. A loaded magazine spring should be no where near it's yield point.