PDA

View Full Version : Use an Acog as a zero power red dot or 3.5x scope in 1 second

problemchild
09-27-2010, 10:57 PM
A tweak allows you to use your Acog as a zero power red dot or as it was designed. All you have to do is place a piece of duct tape over the exit of the scope. Now hold the gun and scope up as you normally would and look with both eyes open. You will see the red dot or chevron superimposed in your vision giving you an instant zero power red dot scope.

Cool trick huh? I just tried it with my Acog and it works great.

JP also makes a magnetic scope cover for the exit lens that does the same thing. The tape is cheaper.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=PM-TA11FC

chris_m90731
09-27-2010, 11:10 PM
A tweak allows you to use your Acog as a zero power red dot or as it was designed. All you have to do is place a piece of duct tape over the exit of the scope. Now hold the gun and scope up as you normally would and look with both eyes open. You will see the red dot or chevron superimposed in your vision giving you an instant zero power red dot scope.

Cool trick huh? I just tried it with my Acog and it works great.

JP also makes a magnetic scope cover for the exit lens that does the same thing. The tape is cheaper.

http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=PM-TA11FC

Very cool. I might try that...

keson
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
Knew about the both eyes open but never heard of the tape method, I might have to try that out :)

MrPlink
09-28-2010, 3:27 AM
neat trick, but the idea of buying an ever so expensive ACOG just to kill the magnification on it is rather amusing to me. I know its a not a permanent thing.. it just defeats the primary purpose of the optic.

problemchild
09-28-2010, 5:08 AM
neat trick, but the idea of buying an ever so expensive ACOG just to kill the magnification on it is rather amusing to me. I know its a not a permanent thing.. it just defeats the primary purpose of the optic.

This is my rifle....................

What it actually does is allow you to do close in work rapidly like a zero power. Then when you have distant objects you peel the tape off. Two scope in one! Like an eotech with a flip down magnifier.

Bueno?

Dreaded Claymore
09-28-2010, 5:24 AM
This is actually how the very first red dot sights worked.

TMC
09-28-2010, 6:16 AM
You need to test this if your potential target will be small. Depending on your eye dominace and how your brain deals with two different images it may not work "just like a red dot". When I do it the bullet will impact 2-3" to the right (or left I can't remember).

Try this at home. Hold the gun in a way so it won't move as you do, do the both eyes open thing and hold the reticle on a small target then without moving the rifle look through scope as you nornally would with one eye closed and you may find the reticle is no longer on the target.

If it does work for you there are few companies that make a flip up cover for the objective lens of the ACOG for just this purpose.

Now for 3 yard hosing at full sized targets, let it rip!

tomd1584
09-28-2010, 6:58 AM
Interesting. might have to just buy an ACOG to try out.

NORCAL#1
09-28-2010, 7:05 AM
Thats why I bought the ECOS model it has a red dot on top of the acog! The only way to go!

insin
09-28-2010, 7:35 AM
Isn't that what BAC is for?

SuperSet
09-28-2010, 8:03 AM
You need to test this if your potential target will be small. Depending on your eye dominace and how your brain deals with two different images it may not work "just like a red dot". When I do it the bullet will impact 2-3" to the right (or left I can't remember).

Try this at home. Hold the gun in a way so it won't move as you do, do the both eyes open thing and hold the reticle on a small target then without moving the rifle look through scope as you nornally would with one eye closed and you may find the reticle is no longer on the target.

If it does work for you there are few companies that make a flip up cover for the objective lens of the ACOG for just this purpose.

Now for 3 yard hosing at full sized targets, let it rip!

Absolutely correct. You have to account for Phoria.

Noonanda
09-28-2010, 8:13 AM
this is part of the binden aiming concept (SP) to have both eyes open yet still see the cheveron. we use this when we conduct CMP shoots, cant remember which table we did it on

Droppin Deuces
09-28-2010, 8:30 AM
You can look right over the top of a Millett DMS 1-4x and still see the dot. Costs slightly less, too.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-28-2010, 8:45 AM
This is actually how the very first red dot sights worked.

Nope. The first red dot was the Aimpoint Electronic, developed in 1974. It worked just like red dot scopes do today. You may be thinking of something else.

brando
09-28-2010, 10:17 AM
Actually he is correct that that's how the first RDSs worked. The Son Tay raiders used the forerunner to the Armson EOG by Singlepoint during their famous POW raid in 1970.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-28-2010, 10:22 AM
All I know is that Aimpoint claims to have invented the concept, and made the original one.

"THE ORIGINAL
Aimpoint is the recognized worldwide leader and originator of the red dot sighting technology. After more than 30 years of working closely with military weapon systems experts, experienced hunters and marksmen around the world, Aimpoint red dot sights remain the No. 1 choice for combining speed and accuracy. "

That is straight from their website.

brando
09-28-2010, 10:39 AM
Big deal, they are a company not history ;)

Saigon1965
09-28-2010, 10:51 AM
I had forgotten about this raid until reading your post -

Actually he is correct that that's how the first RDSs worked. The Son Tay raiders used the forerunner to the Armson EOG by Singlepoint during their famous POW raid in 1970.

brando
09-28-2010, 11:00 AM
It's a huge part of SF lore and a watershed event on par with Desert One - forever changing the SOF community. There were several "firsts" on that raid, including the Singlepoint RDS which helped increase the raider's night fighting accuracy. Dick Meadow's team literally crashed their helo into the compound to initiate the rescue.

Scott Connors
09-28-2010, 11:01 AM
All I know is that Aimpoint claims to have invented the concept, and made the original one.

"THE ORIGINAL
Aimpoint is the recognized worldwide leader and originator of the red dot sighting technology. After more than 30 years of working closely with military weapon systems experts, experienced hunters and marksmen around the world, Aimpoint red dot sights remain the No. 1 choice for combining speed and accuracy. "

That is straight from their website.

IIRC, the Germans issued a 1x scope with a triangular reticle during WWI. Peter Senich had photos in THE GERMAN SNIPER.

Saigon1965
09-28-2010, 11:33 AM
We have to learn somehow -

http://98.196.65.94/retroblackrifle/ModGde/Aces/SinglePoint.html

Nice set up back then -

I toured the Son Tay area in 92 - Ironically my father was born there - He however left for the South and fought against communism -

It's a huge part of SF lore and a watershed event on par with Desert One - forever changing the SOF community. There were several "firsts" on that raid, including the Singlepoint RDS which helped increase the raider's night fighting accuracy. Dick Meadow's team literally crashed their helo into the compound to initiate the rescue.

MrPlink
09-28-2010, 1:31 PM
This is my rifle....................

Like an eotech with a flip down magnifier.

this is what Im getting at.
The key word here is "LIKE"
Like perhaps, but isnt ultimately.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with this idea at all though.

Im just waiting for somebody to figure out how to defeat the illumination in their Acog that way it performs just LIKE.... :p

Ruiner
09-28-2010, 1:37 PM
Why don't you just use it with both eyes open? You don't need the tape to use BAC.

Noonanda
09-28-2010, 2:59 PM
Why don't you just use it with both eyes open? You don't need the tape to use BAC.

some people have a problem with eye dominance when trying to use the BAC. I have to concentrate on it myself if I am not using tape. If it is taped I have no problems though

MasterYong
09-28-2010, 3:22 PM
ZERO power huh?

Uh...

1x maybe?

Zero power would be... interesting.

UserM4
09-28-2010, 3:26 PM
You can do the same thing with any illuminated scope with the flip up cover closed.

Ruiner
09-28-2010, 3:48 PM
some people have a problem with eye dominance when trying to use the BAC. I have to concentrate on it myself if I am not using tape. If it is taped I have no problems though

Ah gotcha. :)

Booshanky
09-28-2010, 6:42 PM
I thought everyone knew this. Shot at the range with a guy that had a 4x ACOG and he'd just flip the front cover down to be a 1x optic. Worked great!

gun toting monkeyboy
09-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I stand corrected. While Aimpoint claims to be the originator of the concept, looking up Armson O.E.G. online clearly shows that their occluded eye gunsights can well before the Aimpoint models. As far as I can tell, the only thing Aimpoint can use to substatiate their claim is that theirs may be the first view-through version. My bad.