PDA

View Full Version : savage 223 issues

demo
09-27-2010, 10:39 PM
I've had a bad string of luck with new guns. I'm getting a little discouraged. I'm going to factor the cost of shipping back to the manufacture as part of the cost of buying a new gun.

I bought this brand new savage 25 in 223. been having accuracy and vibration issues. I reload, but 223 is a new caliber for me. so i bought a bunch of PMC bronze and was trying to sort out the rifle with it. after I shot up all my PMC I'd load some with the old PMC brass. I shot a few reloads and inspected the casing. and the primer looked real strange... I figured a messed up the load some how(but I didn't).

anyway. once I got home I de-capped all my used brass... but then I noticed... all the factory ammo I shot had the same primer issue. check it out. page 60 of speer#14 calls this a cratered primer, which it describes as a gun malfunction.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_wVYW09JAmHU/TKGIpO3pVBI/AAAAAAAAAGA/GXqklcV86NI/s512/m25%20primer%20crater.JPG

SixPointEight
09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Were they difficult to extract? Any popped primers while firing?

eaglemike
09-27-2010, 10:53 PM
Was the ammo 5.56 or .223?
You might also check out the Savage forum:
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php
IIRC there is a firing pin protrusion adjustment on some (all?) of them.
all the best,
Mike

bjl333
09-27-2010, 10:54 PM
take the bolt out and look at how big is the firing pin hole. if it is very big compare to the firing pin then they could've over drill the hole, eventhough it is highly unlikely. answer JT's ^^ question too. visually check the fired brass and see if they look offshaped.

bjl333
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Was the ammo 5.56 or .223?

pmc bronze are 223s

Army
09-27-2010, 10:55 PM
Any decent 'smith with a Savage wrench can quickly reset the headspace on your rifle.....or you can.

rksimple
09-28-2010, 6:40 AM
That happens on my Salvages too. The firing pin channel is a bit larger than the firing pin so the primer will flow into that space. You don't have a headspace problem. The firing pin channel needs to be bushed. Or you can shoot it as is. It won't hurt anything. Cratered primers are not really a big sign of overpressure. Flat primers, ejector swipes, and hard bolt lifts (who am I kidding, its a savage, of course its going to have hard bolt lifts) are more indicative of overpressure.

demo
09-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Were they difficult to extract? Any popped primers while firing?

naw. extraction was easy. cases looked fine. I ran them thru the full length re-sizer and didn't notice any issues or bulges.

only other odd issue is the rifle has a resonance after I shoot it. it just vibrates for a few seconds. like a tuning fork. when I re-acquire the target to see where the bullet hit, if my ear can touches the stock I'll hear it rattle my muffs. strange. it vibrates for a long time.

demo
09-28-2010, 11:48 AM
Any decent 'smith with a Savage wrench can quickly reset the headspace on your rifle.....or you can.

this is a model 25 classic. I don't think it has a barrel nut.

Army
09-28-2010, 8:19 PM
this is a model 25 classic. I don't think it has a barrel nut.
Ahh. I read just "classic" and missed the 25.

Still, don't worry about it. Craters can be from certain ammo, and not be an indicator of trouble.

demo
09-29-2010, 3:35 PM
it is still under warranty... and I called the shop and they are going to ship it for me... so I'm going to give savage a second chance at this rifle.