PDA

View Full Version : ...

doubledgarage
09-27-2010, 10:27 PM

bjl333
09-27-2010, 10:51 PM
Check three things. 1) buffer tube not bent. 2) hammer not loose. 3) the magazine's catch hole not too low,causing the mag to ride high in the gun.

G-forceJunkie
09-27-2010, 11:01 PM
Is the bullet tip hung up on the feed ramps? Magazine feed lips may be bent/damaged/incorrect geometry. Have you tried other mags? What mags are you using?

joedogboy
09-28-2010, 12:28 AM
Is it usually the first round in a mag?

10 round mags seem to have less "give" (because they want to avoid the possibility of an 11th round fitting in), and this can keep them from seating properly - especially if the bolt is forward when you insert the magazine.

SixPointEight
09-28-2010, 12:32 AM
Yeah, it's usually the first round in a mag. I was thinking about that too!

I will be trying a rebuild kit in "Arizona" with some snapcaps. I'll let you know if I can prove anything with it lol.

OR try your current mags with only 9 in them. See if that helps. It sounds a lot like a mag issue, but I haven't heard of many feed issues at all when it comes to PMAGs

joedogboy
09-28-2010, 8:17 AM
Also, make sure to give the base of the mags a good upward slap to make sure that they are fully seated - downward pressure on a fully loaded mag can sometimes get it to fail to seat properly, although it will hold in place.

Dave A
09-28-2010, 9:44 AM
Good thread/subject.

Had one Pro Mag give me trouble on the first round. Will make sure bolt is open when seating mags from now on, although as I recall it was open after last shot in another clip. Have some ten round Colts and they have been flawless so far.

tacticalcity
09-28-2010, 9:54 AM
I used to experience this problem when I had the bullet button tightened down too far. It only needs to be tight enough that you cannot use your finger, but loose enough that it is not "clamping" down on the magazine. The magazine needs some breathing room to shake, move and wiggle a little bit in order to feed properly. It is not meant to clamped firmly into place. If you screw the bullet botton down like a vice, it causes lots of feeding issues.

Just one possible reason for your problem. Solution, loose the bullet button.

tacticalcity
09-28-2010, 10:07 AM
Reads better to me myway. But whatever makes sense to you.

If it is down like a vice, then that is definately the cause of your problem. I had to learn that one the hard way. There might be other stuff going on, but that is definately a major cause of feeding problems.

bjl333
09-28-2010, 10:12 AM
Check this: After the last shot of the mag, the bolt stays open right? Open the top and see if the hammer is cocked. I am guessing the hammer is not being cocked and its hanging up your bolt. Thats why you have to pull the charge handle back and release. When you do that the hammer gets cocked.

Suvorov
09-28-2010, 10:15 AM
Saw this exact issue while working at the range the other day. Happened with a brand new build and a high $$$ upper (maybe it was DD). The rifle was running bone dry so the first thing we did was lube it. The problem still persisted so we looked at the magazines. Slowely charging the weapon would induce the failure and it looked like the feed angles were not what they should be. All the mags were Pmag 10 round conversions and one in particular caused the failure to feeds. The owner shot with the other two magazines and didn't have any further issues. Maybe it is an issue with the Pmag geometry compunded with the conversion process a tight bullet button?

Try some non Pmag magazines.

bjl333
09-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I noticed slowly charging it is more likely to cause a failure. However, charging it quickly (and not riding it) can still cause a failure.

I do have 2 Pmags from RifleGear.... lol.

I'll definitely loosen up the tight bullet button, check all the aforementioned components, and pick up a non Pmag. What is a quality non P-mag? How's C Products?

Thanks!

I have around 10 10rd C Prod steel mags and they all work in my various uppers.

gemini1
09-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Check this: After the last shot of the mag, the bolt stays open right? Open the top and see if the hammer is cocked. I am guessing the hammer is not being cocked and its hanging up your bolt. Thats why you have to pull the charge handle back and release. When you do that the hammer gets cocked.

After the last shot, the bolt is in the buffer tube, how can you open the upper? And how would the hammer not be cocked the first time the bolt is pulled back, then it gets cocked if you pull the charging handle?

OP, the pic you have is dark, cant see the inside, is the bolt hitting against the bolt catch or the back side of the mag? As others have said, it most probably is a mag issue. Try 9 rounds or less and function test, or try a different mag.

gemini1
09-28-2010, 11:25 AM
I noticed slowly charging it is more likely to cause a failure. However, charging it quickly (and not riding it) can still cause a failure.
I do have 2 Pmags from RifleGear.... lol.

I'll definitely loosen up the tight bullet button, check all the aforementioned components, and pick up a non Pmag. What is a quality non P-mag? How's C Products?

Thanks!

So where is it getting stuck? is the ammo sliding out of the mag and into the chamber, or does it get stuck in the feed ramp?

gemini1
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM
Do you have snap caps/dummy rounds? if not then take the bolt out first and remove the firing pin, safety first brother.

Do you get this problem only on the first round on a full 10 round mag? or does it happen even with less?

Ron-Solo
09-28-2010, 11:48 AM

You should never "slowly" charge the firearm. Pull the charging handle all the way back and let it go. Do not "ride" the charging handle home. That will greatly increase your failure rate. Let the buffer spring do one of it's jobs, which is to seat the bolt.

Try locking the bolt back, then insert the mag, release the bolt catch, letting the bolt go home. If it still fails to feed, it is probably not the mag and you have other issues.

Good Luck.

gvbsat
09-28-2010, 12:18 PM
If you have tried all the other suggestions, I would swap out the charging handle. Just a thought. I have had this issue in my very very short experience with my AR.

killshot44
09-30-2010, 1:09 AM
It looks like the back of the casehead isn't getting picked up cleanly.. Could be the feed-angle of the mags? (though Pmags are usually ok), soft mag-spring? Mag/Lower fit?

Trying different mags is the easiest in the process of elimination.

Where's Randall when you need him....

/actually knows where Randall is.