PDA

View Full Version : CA Legit?: DPMS AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper Assembly @ $399?

SoCalLA
09-27-2010, 9:42 PM
I apologize in advance for potential laziness, but Midway is running an amazing deal on DPMS AR-15 A3 Flattop Upper Assembly.

- 5.56x45mm NATO
- 1 in 9" Twist
- 16" Lightweight Contour Barrel
- Chrome Moly Matte with GlacierGuard Hand-guard
- A2 Front Sight
- Flash Hider
- Pre-Ban

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=934062&eblastid=92720103&custnum=102816050&utm_

I am looking to build my first AR, and don't want to screw it up. My concern is with the "flash hider". Is this concern justified?

Thanks in advance.

AIMSMALL
09-27-2010, 9:57 PM
The flash hider is not a problem as long as you use a bullet button (making it a fixed mag rifle). If you want to use your hi-cap magazines you owned before the ban you will need to build a "featureless" rifle which would mean you can't have the flash hider or a pistol grip, and no forward grip either.

jtmkinsd
09-28-2010, 12:17 AM
It's all about the bullet button...being your first build, as long as you have the BB on your lower, you can have all the evil features you want :43:

SoCalLA
09-28-2010, 12:54 AM
It's all about the bullet button...being your first build, as long as you have the BB on your lower, you can have all the evil features you want :43:

Thanks to both of you who responded. So what say you? Good deal?

railroader
09-28-2010, 6:00 AM
Personally I like chrome lined and that upper isn't. But that's just me. Mark

sniper4usmc
09-28-2010, 7:53 AM
I would avoid pencil thin barrel

bwiese
09-28-2010, 10:18 AM

Also, the barrel is not chrome lined.

Noobs' first ARs should always have chrome lined barrels.

dfletcher
09-28-2010, 10:50 AM
Well, the assembly does come with the BCG, so that's a pretty good price. Given no chrome and pencil barrel, it is of the very basic variety. I suppose you just want to ensure it's something you're buying because it's what you want as opposed to buying just because it's a good price. You'll have to add a rear sight or a scope and base, may find you want a different gas block/sight. If you want basic I guess it's fine.

Res
09-28-2010, 11:12 AM

Bill,
What is the benefit for a Noob to have a chrome lined barrel?

Ksmash01
09-28-2010, 11:46 AM

Agreed.

Bill,
What is the benefit for a Noob to have a chrome lined barrel?

Chrome lined barrels are easier to clean/keep clean. They resist fowling in the barrel, and last longer.

Experts please chime in, and correct me where I'm wrong. I'm still a newbie to black rifles.

As far as DPMS goes, I have one of their SS bull barrel uppers, I love it. I probably would go Rock River next time, but I'm happy for now.

Mail Clerk
09-28-2010, 8:15 PM

SoCalLA,

If this is your first one then for the price it's good in my book. Be aware it's their "Sportical" version and has no shell deflector.... nothing to owrry about if your right handed. Also the sale price is actually $359 instead of the $399 you mentioned. For that price so what it has no chromed lined barrel! Just clean the chamber and bore well when you get it before you shoot it.

Mail Clerk

ExtremeX
09-28-2010, 8:27 PM
Dang, thats pretty decent price for a starter AR.

You may want to look at this too:
http://www.turners.com/engage/displayads.php

$799 for a complete setup. Upper seems like its a simmilar spec to the DPMS. May be a little more expencive, but the quality is going to be around the same.

uxo2
09-28-2010, 8:32 PM

Why???

Maybe he wants a light weight..

Is not going to be in an Extended high volume fire fight.

Or do 600yrds shots...

did I miss something...