PDA

View Full Version : in the movie zombieland woody harrelson's lever action pistol can i buy it or...

bob7122
09-27-2010, 7:28 PM
make it; would it be legal? it looks absolutely stunning and where can i go to buy it. what would be a ball park price

-HITMAN-
09-27-2010, 7:31 PM
rossi just came out with one and it's pretty cheap, but i dont know if it's cali legal yet or at all... someone chime in, cause i want one too! haha

JRent54
09-27-2010, 7:31 PM
Put me down for one too

bob7122
09-27-2010, 7:32 PM
look at the scene when they are at the natives store and he shoots the zombie in the head that made me want one soooooo bad:party::punk::83:

even if it is not so good i would buy just because it looks so cool heheheheheehe

straykiller
09-27-2010, 7:34 PM
:iagree:

Taildraggerdave
09-27-2010, 7:34 PM
It's called a Mare's Leg pistol. They are pretty cool.

Dave

bob7122
09-27-2010, 7:38 PM
but is it CA legal? thats what's important

sd1023x
09-27-2010, 7:47 PM
Taurus/Rossi is getting sued by the 'original' designer of the mares leg. So a moderately priced one is probably some time off.

bob7122
09-27-2010, 7:56 PM
is it legal though in CA

jonni
09-27-2010, 7:59 PM
I think I saw one on sale in Baine and Davis last time I was there

supermario
09-27-2010, 8:25 PM
Puma/Legacy Sports makes a cool one too! 44, 45colt

http://i644.photobucket.com/albums/uu165/supermariov/DSC08205.jpg

bob7122
09-28-2010, 8:14 AM
whats the price though?

CHS
09-28-2010, 8:42 AM
Yes, they are legal in California.

They have to be imported with a plug in the magazine though, otherwise they're not importable due to not being on the safe handgun roster.

With a plug in the magazine they fall under the single-shot pistol exemption. You can take the plug out after you've brought the pistol home.

The Rossi ones are like $550. Pretty affordable.

hammerhands32
09-28-2010, 8:43 AM
looks like it would be easier to pack than my 8 inch 629

The Original Godfather
09-28-2010, 8:52 AM
This one?

http://www.imfdb.org/images/thumb/7/79/Model1892MaresLeg.jpg/800px-Model1892MaresLeg.jpg

It's a Winchester 1892.

I'm not sure if it's legal. Maybe it would qualify for CR?

CHS
09-28-2010, 9:35 AM
This one?

It's a Winchester 1892.

I'm not sure if it's legal. Maybe it would qualify for CR?

A Cut-down '92 would be an SBR.

The Rossi Ranch Hand is a '92 clone built from the factory as a handgun, and is legal in CA. It looks exactly like the picture you posted.

sd1023x
09-28-2010, 1:02 PM
Think its a contract issue, crazy how he can trademark to a name/design even when it probably existed long before him.

Huntertown gun maker sues major company
He says the company stole his trademarked gun

Updated: Friday, 24 Sep 2010, 1:35 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 23 Sep 2010, 4:38 PM EDT

* Chris Hopper

HUNTERTOWN, Ind. (WANE) - A Huntertown gun maker is suing a major international gun manufacturer for allegedly stealing his trademarked gun.

Jim Buchanan is the owner of J.B. Custom Incorporated. He has been making guns in Northeast Indiana for a number of years.

In the late 90's Buchanan created a new version of the "Mare's Leg" lever action gun. Steve McQueen made a similar version if it famous when he used it in the show "Wanted: Dead or Alive."

Buchanan trademarked his gun, and a few years later he teamed up with Brazilian firearms maker, Amadeo Rossi . Rossi made the guns for Buchanan, and he would sell them.

Rossi was eventually bought out by Taurus International Manufacturing . Buchanan said that's when his relationship with Rossi went away. Buchanan said Taurus and Rossi officials would not return his calls.

Soon after the buy out, Buchanan heard Taurus was selling his gun under a different name. Buchanan said the company is also selling it for a third of the price. Buchanan sold the gun for well over a $1,000, but Taurus is selling the "Ranch Hand" under the Rossi name for $536.

"They just put me out of the picture and thought they could go right ahead without any regard to what I had done previous," said Jim Buchanan, Huntertown gun maker.

Buchanan filed a federal lawsuit against Taurus to recover damages. He said the lawsuit is worth millions of dollars. Buchanan claims his business is ruined.

"They've basically destroyed my market by producing and selling it for a third of what I was getting. That was the main one, my mainstay, and it's just like they are taking away everything I ever did," said Buchanan.

NewsChannel 15 tried to contact Taurus and Rossi but did not receive a response. Buchanan said he will continue to design guns, but he will make them himself in the future.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/huntertown-gun-maker-sues-major-company

Flinch
09-28-2010, 2:17 PM
Is that the cut down rifle Steve McQueen as Josh Randall used in the old TV series "Wanted Dead or Alive"? He wore a trick holster rig...that was really cool!
Flinch

CHS
09-29-2010, 2:24 AM
If Rossi actually made the original guns for Buchanan, then his prices are/were absolutely absurd.

Rossi probably wasn't selling enough of them at over a $K each.

Putting the prices into realistic territory is better for the market, better for Rossi, and who cares about Buchanan if he can't compete? Welcome to capitalism Buchanan. Go do something else. Or make a BETTER Mare's Leg.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 8:17 AM
Think its a contract issue, crazy how he can 'own' the rights to a design even when it probably existed long before him.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/huntertown-gun-maker-sues-major-company

Imagine trying to manufacture and sell and exact replica of the Colt Python...I suspect that even though it's not currently in production, Colt would sue over trademark.

Wherryj
09-29-2010, 8:21 AM
If Rossi actually made the original guns for Buchanan, then his prices are/were absolutely absurd.

Rossi probably wasn't selling enough of them at over a $K each.

Putting the prices into realistic territory is better for the market, better for Rossi, and who cares about Buchanan if he can't compete? Welcome to capitalism Buchanan. Go do something else. Or make a BETTER Mare's Leg.

I suspect that the issue was.
A. Buchanan owns the trademark (the design)
B. He was having them manufactured by Rossi, either sold through Rossi with a royalty to Buchanan or Buchanan had Rossi manufacture and he personally sold them for the additional profit.
C. Rossi is bought by Taurus who then decides to steal the design, manufacture them and cut the owner of the trademark out of the picture entirely.

I hardly think that this amounts to capitalism at its best. It is theft of intellectual property. Taurus doesn't own the design and apparently isn't paying Buchanan for using it. At least that is how it appears from the brief report posted.

cseabass
09-29-2010, 9:48 AM
Wouldn't it be considered a single action?(I'm not up to date on the SA stuff, does it state only revolvers are exempt?)

elSquid
09-29-2010, 11:30 AM
I suspect that the issue was.
A. Buchanan owns the trademark (the design)
B. He was having them manufactured by Rossi, either sold through Rossi with a royalty to Buchanan or Buchanan had Rossi manufacture and he personally sold them for the additional profit.
C. Rossi is bought by Taurus who then decides to steal the design, manufacture them and cut the owner of the trademark out of the picture entirely.

I hardly think that this amounts to capitalism at its best. It is theft of intellectual property. Taurus doesn't own the design and apparently isn't paying Buchanan for using it. At least that is how it appears from the brief report posted.

I'd guess that Buchanan registered the term "Mare's Leg".

He certainly doesn't own the rights to the 1892 design. Rossi has been making 92s for a long time. As have several other companies.

The actual "Mare's Leg" wielded by Steve McQueen predates Buchanan's business, so I'm not sure how he can claim design rights on cut down 92s.

If Rossi satisfied the terms of the contract that it had with Buchanan then I don't see what the legal problem is.

From a consumer viewpoint, the Ranch Hand is a huge win. I'm 'a gonna probly fetch one fer meself. :D

-- Michael

CHS
09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Wouldn't it be considered a single action?(I'm not up to date on the SA stuff, does it state only revolvers are exempt?)

The Rossi Ranch Hand is a lever-action pistol. I GUESS you could call it "single action", but the only "single action" roster exemption in the PC is for revolvers that meet certain dimensional characteristics. Minimum 5 rounds, and a minimum barrel length (can't remember what it is right now).

The only way to exempt the Ranch Hand from the roster is by plugging the magazine tube with a $.10 dowel and importing it as a single shot pistol. Not single action.

Rick530
09-29-2010, 12:28 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2010/08/17/rossi-ranch-hand-not-available-until-2011/

1911su16b870
09-29-2010, 12:51 PM
Will riflegear bring in single shot Rossi Ranchhands's to CA?

CHS
09-29-2010, 1:11 PM
Will riflegear bring in single shot Rossi Ranchhands's to CA?

Riflegear has never had a problem importing anything that's legal.

bob7122
09-29-2010, 6:21 PM
do you think if i ask riflegear to order one they can and will get it for me?

SFgiants105
09-29-2010, 6:24 PM
Go to http://www.maresleg.com/maresleg.htm . It says it counts as an SBR. =(

jeffyboy
09-29-2010, 7:17 PM
Go to http://www.maresleg.com/maresleg.htm . It says it counts as an SBR. =(

Next time read the full article:

The original Mare's Leg™ ("Mare's Laig") as seen in the TV show is not legal to own without paying a $200 Federal registration fee, as it is a "short-barelled rifle" under Federal firearms laws of the USA. Our PISTOL is not, and has never been, a rifle. It has been built from the beginning as a pistol and falls under normal handgun rules.

sd1023x
09-29-2010, 7:44 PM
Imagine trying to manufacture and sell and exact replica of the Colt Python...I suspect that even though it's not currently in production, Colt would sue over trademark.

The idea pre-dates Buchanan. Did Wanted: Dead or Alive buy theirs from Buchanan?

http://i33.tinypic.com/rvvqde.jpg

evollep3
09-29-2010, 10:39 PM
these things are so bad *** ! i say group buy! :)

SFgiants105
09-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Next time read the full article:

The original Mare's Leg™ ("Mare's Laig") as seen in the TV show is not legal to own without paying a $200 Federal registration fee, as it is a "short-barelled rifle" under Federal firearms laws of the USA. Our PISTOL is not, and has never been, a rifle. It has been built from the beginning as a pistol and falls under normal handgun rules.

My mistake. Sorry bout that.

Wherryj
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
The idea pre-dates Buchanan. Did Wanted: Dead or Alive buy theirs from Buchanan?

http://i33.tinypic.com/rvvqde.jpg

The outside look may be the same, but he's arguing that the design is his. Someone granted him a patent or trademark for it.

Let's take the actual LOOK of the weapon out of it. You decide to start a new company named "Ariel". You have a great idea for a modern version of the Shelby Cobra.

You contact Honda and purchase some of their new Civic engines and put a couple turbos on it. You call the new car the "Atom"...

You eventually decide to sell your company to Ford (hasn't happened). Is Ford now legally entitled to make and sell Honda's engines without permission and a royalty?

The issue at hand is if the guy REALLY DOES have a patent or trademark on the DESIGN. You can show me all of the engines that LOOK superficially the same as the Honda's, but if it is made with the same design, you had better own a license to manufacture Honda's intellectual property.

Perhaps the guy thinks that he owns more, but it isn't as simple as showing a picture of a similar appearing weapon from a TV show decades past and saying, "Case closed".

sd1023x
09-30-2010, 12:26 PM
The outside look may be the same, but he's arguing that the design is his. Someone granted him a patent or trademark for it.

Let's take the actual LOOK of the weapon out of it. You decide to start a new company named "Ariel". You have a great idea for a modern version of the Shelby Cobra.

You contact Honda and purchase some of their new Civic engines and put a couple turbos on it. You call the new car the "Atom"...

You eventually decide to sell your company to Ford (hasn't happened). Is Ford now legally entitled to make and sell Honda's engines without permission and a royalty?

The issue at hand is if the guy REALLY DOES have a patent or trademark on the DESIGN. You can show me all of the engines that LOOK superficially the same as the Honda's, but if it is made with the same design, you had better own a license to manufacture Honda's intellectual property.

Perhaps the guy thinks that he owns more, but it isn't as simple as showing a picture of a similar appearing weapon from a TV show decades past and saying, "Case closed".

Let's be clear, Buchanan owns the trademark for the term "Mare's Leg" which he applied and received in 2009. Its also clear, he didn't invent anything, not even the name.

Trademark is used to:

protect words, names, symbols, sounds, or colors that distinguish goods and services from those manufactured or sold by others and to indicate the source of the goods. Trademarks, unlike patents, can be renewed forever as long as they are being used in commerce.

Buchanan's case is weak, Taurus has yet to sell any of these handguns in the US and its marketed under the name "Ranch Hand". Only way he's going to see anything is if he had some protection clauses on his original contract with Rossi.

If Winchester wanted to make a mare's leg style pistol as long as its not named 'Mare's Leg', then I don't think anyone could legally stop them. This is a contract issue between Buchanan and Taurus/Rossi. Your analogy is incorrect.

dfletcher
09-30-2010, 1:36 PM

Creating an engine is one thing, cutting down or making a "short version" of the existing 1892 does not seem particularly original and I don't think there is a patent involved, only the trademark.

It seems to me he had a contract with Rossi, it expired and now Taurus is making their own version with a different name to avoid trademark infringement. That seems defensible. It seems to me that even if the fellow still had a contract with Taurus unless there was some sort of exclusivity involved Taurus could make the same gun for him, same gun for another fellow and for themselves, each give it a different name and sell it for less.

bondmid003
09-30-2010, 1:44 PM
The gal from Firefly and Serenity carried one of these, very awesome

Bruce
09-30-2010, 2:33 PM
Interesting the Buchanan has a trade mark on the term "Mare's Leg". I have a toy version manufactured by the Marx Toy Co. that has the name "Mare's Laig" molded into the plastic. I've had it since it was given to me by my parents for Christmas almost 50 years ago. IIRC, Steve McQueen is credited with naming the sawed off '92 "Mare's Laig".
And no matter what it's called....I WANT ONE!

evollep3
11-07-2010, 9:16 PM
any news on these yet where we can get one

bob7122
11-08-2010, 6:35 AM
none im still searching the internet i am goin to go to laguna hills to the oc armory to see if they will be able to get one for me. they are really nice and helpful so hopefully it will work.