PDA

View Full Version : Will all Garand experts please speak up.

Mstrty
09-27-2010, 6:34 PM
I won an M1 garand at the GRPC over the weekend. I know nothing about the garand. 30-06 with en-blanc clips, is about as far as my knowledge. I was going to sell it, but everyone tells me every safe needs 1. If it was in .308 I wouldnt think twice about keeping it. M2 ball ammo can be difficult to find and I hear other than some Garand specific ammo (expensive) CMP is the place to go for ammo. So keep it or sell it? If I keep it why? I dont currently hunt, but I do dabble in 3gun. 3gun is the main reason for the riffle's I have. This is clearly not a competitive rifle for current 3gun. I have not seen the riffle (other than when I bought the ticket) So I know nothing about this specific rifle. I know nothing about garand's either:o

thoughts and advice?

hnoppenberger
09-27-2010, 6:40 PM
well ill throw out the first one. get some M2AP and you have a relatively cheap anti-terminator weapon.
other than that, its a Garand, you either get it or you don't.

Milsurp Collector
09-27-2010, 6:47 PM
Once you shoot it you will probably lose all thoughts of getting rid of it.

The CMP has plenty of M2 ammo for sale http://www.thecmp.org/ammosales.htm You can also handload for it. There is also Federal American Eagle .30-06 ammo made specifically for Garands.

The alternative is to use an adjustable gas plug. That will allow you to shoot any .30-06 ammo (after you adjust the gas plug for that ammo). There are two brands:

Schuster

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?tabid=9&categoryid=12513&categorystring=10636***10560***9260***12508***

and McCann

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1538/Product/M1_GARAND_ADJUSTABLE_GAS_SYSTEM

NiteQwill
09-27-2010, 7:13 PM
Just like a 1911, every gun owner NEEDS a Garand. ;)

Like Milsurp said, once you shoot it, you'll never want to rid of it.

BTW, that is one nice prize to win!

Jarhead
09-27-2010, 7:36 PM
he don't get it otherwise he wouldn't be asking ......................

russ69
09-27-2010, 8:00 PM
A Garand is a must have.........unless you have a M1A. In that case you can manage without a Garand.

Thanx, Russ

Milsurp Collector
09-27-2010, 8:47 PM
I know nothing about garand's either:o

"[The M1 Rifle is] the greatest single battle implement ever devised by man."

General George S. Patton, Jr.

evUY9aHOTi4&fmt=22
OZNFMiWNBYQ&fmt=22

z5VCvfeF9P8&fmt=22XRNbcCobcvA&fmt=22

QC2WmnfTpn0&fmt=22U3aUIyrHXUI

NelBNtNm8l0&rel=0

choprzrul
09-27-2010, 9:10 PM
The problem here is that thet didn't draw ticket #1, 2, or 3. Think of how much easier your life would be if we just pretended thay they drew one of my tickets :-)) I'll even be a swell guy and pay all of the tranfer fees when I pick it up.

Rule .308
09-27-2010, 9:44 PM
The M1 is simply a great gun, a real piece of history for sure, but I am sure that it is not for everybody. I own a nice M1A and it has remained unfired for years because it just does not do it for me. My advice would be to get yourself a bando of M2 ball and go shoot it, if it does not do it for you then sell it off. The CMP is your best source of ammo for it and it is reasonably priced for what it is.

G-forceJunkie
09-27-2010, 10:19 PM
Shoot it then be honest with your self. If its not for you, sell it to someone who wants it. No reason for a nice rifle to rot away in the back of a safe when it could be loved and shot by someone who appricates it.

Milsurp Collector
09-27-2010, 10:31 PM
I took someone (a liberal Obama supporter BTW) who had never fired a gun in his life to my gun club and let him shoot 3 of my handguns and 3 of my rifles (including an AR-15). His favorite? The Garand.

Noonanda
09-27-2010, 10:33 PM
If you decide you dont want it there are many people here that would

oddjob
09-27-2010, 10:33 PM
advice?? Sell it to me for a decent price!!! You will regret it, but I will buy it for the right price.

ir0nclash86
09-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Hey well if you don't want it ill trade you my unfired Remington 700 in 338 Lapua with AICS 1.5 stock

New2guns
09-27-2010, 10:44 PM
I won an M1 garand at the GRPC over the weekend. I know nothing about the garand. 30-06 with en-blanc clips, is about as far as my knowledge. I was going to sell it, but everyone tells me every safe needs 1. If it was in .308 I wouldnt think twice about keeping it. M2 ball ammo can be difficult to find and I hear other than some Garand specific ammo (expensive) CMP is the place to go for ammo. So keep it or sell it? If I keep it why? I dont currently hunt, but I do dabble in 3gun. 3gun is the main reason for the riffle's I have. This is clearly not a competitive rifle for current 3gun. I have not seen the riffle (other than when I bought the ticket) So I know nothing about this specific rifle. I know nothing about garand's either:o

thoughts and advice?

The Garand is much better appreciated by the admirers of "the great generation" I wanted one all my life and $50 was just too stiff for a busboy that made $1.35 an hour. I bought one for my 61st Birthday last May. My first owner rifle ever Paid $530 for it. It is a beauty and don't think I'll give it up for anything.

I'll buy it if you want to sell but if not I will sell you a bandolier of 6 en blocs of 8 rounds of M2 AP for $48 FTF. This rifle is exempt so you can sell FTF without 10 day or DROS to a qualified individual

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=341910&highlight=Bandolier+AP+M2

Ron-Solo
09-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Shoot it, you'll fall in love.

oddjob
09-27-2010, 11:16 PM
On a serious note......don't sell it. Buy some ammo and shoot about a 100 or 200 rds through it. Then make a honest decision about selling it. My guess is you won't. I have two Garands. One is a national match 7.62 and the other is a 30-06. I like the 7.62 and LOVE the 30-06. I would get rid of my 7.62 before the 30-06.

But if you decide to sell it......I will buy it for the right price.......So will about a couple thousand other Cal Gunners!!!

Mstrty
09-27-2010, 11:40 PM
On a serious note......don't sell it. Buy some ammo and shoot about a 100 or 200 rds through it. Then make a honest decision about selling it. My guess is you won't. I have two Garands. One is a national match 7.62 and the other is a 30-06. I like the 7.62 and LOVE the 30-06. I would get rid of my 7.62 before the 30-06.

But if you decide to sell it......I will buy it for the right price.......So will about a couple thousand other Cal Gunners!!!

Guys, Thanks for all the great advice. I will transfer it to me and take my vietnam veteran dad out to the range and throw some lead down range. If he or I fall in love with it, I will be forced to keep it. Since I know nothing about the Garand do I just buy some M2 Ammo and have at it? Or does it need a good ju-ju chant and blessing from my priest?:eek:

ke6guj
09-27-2010, 11:45 PM
. Since I know nothing about the Garand do I just buy some M2 Ammo and have at it? Or does it need a good ju-ju chant and blessing from my priest?:eek:Ty, I'd suggest getting some M2 ammo on clips and maybe start a thread looking for a local iwth a Garand that can meet you at the range to show you the ropes on it.

Army
09-27-2010, 11:49 PM
My Garand has never seen the range. I don't plan on shooting it. I do plan on passing it on in my will :)

oddjob
09-28-2010, 12:05 AM
Don't use 30-06 hunting ammo. It has higher pressures and could damage the rifle. Use M2 ball ammo. And the most important thing......Have FUN!!

G-forceJunkie
09-28-2010, 12:13 AM
Like how to not get you thumb smashed by the bolt :)Ty, I'd suggest getting some M2 ammo on clips and maybe start a thread looking for a local iwth a Garand that can meet you at the range to show you the ropes on it.

ke6guj
09-28-2010, 12:18 AM
Like how to not get you thumb smashed by the bolt :)what?, garand thumb is a rite of passage. Nothing better than a 10# gun hanging from the end of your thumb :43:

OX5q6xydjKw

Milsurp Collector
09-28-2010, 12:27 AM
Since I know nothing about the Garand do I just buy some M2 Ammo and have at it? Or does it need a good ju-ju chant and blessing from my priest?:eek:

One thing you want to learn is the correct way to load the M1 Rifle so you don't get "Garand thumb" or "M1 thumb" (not my thumb, a web picture), caused by the bolt slamming shut on your thumb:

http://i44.tinypic.com/21eyfiq.jpg

Keep the back edge of your right hand against the op rod handle as you are loading the en bloc clip so you can keep the op rod and bolt from springing forward on your thumb.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/images2/e62-4.jpg

See http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu62.htm

CL4VsZ9M5L8

You will find that the weight and gas-operated action of the M1 Rifle dampens recoil and makes it more pleasant to shoot than almost any other full-powered World War I or II rifle.

Mstrty
09-28-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks for the heads up on the thumb saver:eek: I guess the rest of you were waiting for my "Here is what left of my thumb update"?:)

mstlaurent
09-28-2010, 8:53 AM
Another note: Depending on the age of the rifle, it may need new springs. This can cause a lot of problems, such as FTF, FTE, etc. If you do run into problems, replace the springs before you write off the rifle.

Garand thumb hurts. Before I let anyone shoot my Garand I pop the follower with a pencil in front of them. They get the picture.

Bhobbs
09-28-2010, 9:12 AM
Get some good grease and make sure the rifle is greased up properly. It will make the whole rifle run much smoother.

polojeff
09-28-2010, 1:29 PM
The garand was my first real rifle (Christmas present from my dad at the age of 15.) Its the only possession I have that would never sell for any reason. The CMP ammo is pretty nice and the price is (was) right. Do yourself a favor and shoot a garand match. In citrus heights, you're close enough to Sac Valley and not terribly far from Chabot. The matches concentrate experience and awesome people and make a perfect learning environment. And a +1 to the grease.

jdberger
09-28-2010, 1:40 PM
Keep the Garand. Get some HXP from the CMP.

But if you want to get rid of it, do I get first shot since I was the first one to tell you that you won?

wash
09-28-2010, 1:45 PM
I bought a can of Korean 30-06 on Garand clips. So far it works fine.

If you buy Korean, make sure it's not corrosive primed or else wash it out after you fire it.

The head stamp can tell you if you've got corrosive ammo or not.

I've heard good things about the surplus Greek ammo that the CMP is selling.

I also bought a few bandoleers of WWII surplus black tip...

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-28-2010, 2:02 PM
.....yu ahve a garand and dont kinda want it.

and yet im here drooling for one. life is cruel.

Nathan Krynn
09-28-2010, 2:03 PM
You will enjoy this rifle, they are great. I have 2 of them and love each one.

To throw you off a little one of mine I have is a tanker Garand in .308.

CSDGuy
09-28-2010, 2:47 PM
Guys, Thanks for all the great advice. I will transfer it to me and take my vietnam veteran dad out to the range and throw some lead down range. If he or I fall in love with it, I will be forced to keep it. Since I know nothing about the Garand do I just buy some M2 Ammo and have at it? Or does it need a good ju-ju chant and blessing from my priest?:eek:
M2 ammo (it's cheap through the CMP) and you're golden. You're going to love the Garand. It's the quintessential battle rifle, IMHO. At about 10 lbs, it's a pretty mild shooter. Can it be used for 3 gun? Yes. Will you be competitive with box-mag semi-auto rifles? No. Would it be absolutely fun? Yep.

If you have some free time, PM me and perhaps we can get together and have a Garand shoot. Seriously. I'm no Garand expert... but I've done some learning with mine over the past couple years. One day, I'll find time to take mine to a longer range shoot - just to see what it's capable of!

Personally, I reload for my Garand. I have a LOT of fun with that too!

vf111
09-28-2010, 6:05 PM
Once you hear the *ping* you can't go back....

Nihonto Chicken
09-28-2010, 6:12 PM
The CMP Greek M2 ammo is the best deal going, but your range will need to allow steel jacketed bullets (many PRK ranges don't due to perceived spark and fire danger). The Greek bullets are copper plating over a steel jacket and they will attract a magnet. Otherwise, if you don't reload, the Federal M1 ammo is the ticket, though pricey. Garands are big, heavy and cumbersome, and yet are so filled with history and competence that they are irresistible. You will know whether or not you are susceptible to Garanditis at the first "ping". If so, buy another safe, and start being very, very nice to your wife!!! :p