PDA

View Full Version : Convert Saiga 7.62 to use 10rnd AK magazines

kophinos
09-27-2010, 5:29 PM
Suppose one was to install a bullet guide in a Saiga 7.62 to use standard AK magazines. This would be legal if they were to use 10rnd US (all 3 parts) magazines and add (1) additional US part, as the stock Saiga 7.62 has (14) import parts. Correct?

zfields
09-27-2010, 7:07 PM
most people dont like using the mags as complience parts. Idea is once the mag is dropped, it no longer meets compliance.

!@#$
09-27-2010, 7:14 PM
most people dont like using the mags as complience parts. Idea is once the mag is dropped, it no longer meets compliance.

it still does until you put in a mag with less USA made parts.

stix213
09-27-2010, 7:16 PM
Suppose one was to install a bullet guide in a Saiga 7.62 to use standard AK magazines. This would be legal if they were to use 10rnd US (all 3 parts) magazines and add (1) additional US part, as the stock Saiga 7.62 has (14) import parts. Correct?

This is correct, the hand guard is an easy one for that last part. As stated above its better to not use the mags for compliance, but if you don't temp yourself by keeping a bunch of foreign mags around you have to remember not to use, you should be fine.

kophinos
09-27-2010, 8:03 PM
i figured it would be easier to replace the gas tube with a US made AK gas tube. it wouldn't bother the stock Saiga hand guard, and its going to need to be replaced anyway if a full AK conversion was decided on at a future date.

Bigtwin
09-27-2010, 9:20 PM
I believe yes, just don't by mistake put a non US mag in there!
I think that is why many folks frown upon the "mag as a compliant part" because they have other AK's that may find mags in the wrong gun!

SJgunguy24
09-27-2010, 9:21 PM
i figured it would be easier to replace the gas tube with a US made AK gas tube. it wouldn't bother the stock Saiga hand guard, and its going to need to be replaced anyway if a full AK conversion was decided on at a future date.

The tube doesn't count, the piston does.

SJgunguy24
09-27-2010, 9:23 PM
I believe yes, just don't by mistake put a non US mag in there!
I think that is why many folks frown upon the "mag as a compliant part" because they have other AK's that may find mags in the wrong gun!

I don't advise relying on mag parts because you are only able to use that mag. If you have a few AK and a bunch of mags it just makes sense to make the guns compliant by themselves.

Bigtwin
09-27-2010, 9:46 PM
I don't advise relying on mag parts because you are only able to use that mag. If you have a few AK and a bunch of mags it just makes sense to make the guns compliant by themselves.

I think that was the point I was trying to get there!:)