PDA

View Full Version : I don't know how to put together my AR

XDRoX
09-27-2010, 2:56 PM
Well I just got my first package of parts from the UPS guy. Going to pick up my lower tomorrow and expect my upper on Thurs. I have someone coming over to help me build it, but I wanted to read up so I also know what's going on. I suppose everything will be fairly easy to figure out except the lower parts kit.

Are there any good websites with instructions?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of some of the stuff:D
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/magpul.jpg

Cyc Wid It
09-27-2010, 2:59 PM
There's a link to instructions on the top of every page here.

Alternatively, you can try ARFcom or youtube.

tomd1584
09-27-2010, 3:04 PM
Brownells has an excellent instructional video(s) on how to assemble the lower.

my first time took me about 40 minutes, going super slow using only electrical tape, pliers and maybe a hammer. Good Luck!

MAGPUL KoolAid! dont worry, i drink it too.

1forall
09-27-2010, 3:16 PM
Looks like your going to have fun, cool.

dieselpower
09-27-2010, 3:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

Disconnecter spring has the fat side going into the trigger troth
pay close attention to the way you place the hammer spring.

used a 6" 1/4 drive socket extension as a hammer block to keep the hammer away from the lower. Used on the Bolt release pin if you are not using the vise grip method.

just watch the video the whole way once, then GO BACK and do it step by step pausing for each.

wash
09-27-2010, 3:28 PM
I think Brownell's has some videos.

The things to watch out for are launching detents and the roll pins.

I always do the trigger guard last because it uses a roll pin and the gun will work without a trigger guard and a Magpul MOE trigger guard is so much better than the stock trigger guard that I usually go with one of them.

Also make sure you install the disconnector spring correctly. It is about the same size as the bolt hold open spring but it has a taper with one end larger than the other. Don't mix them up and make sure the large end of the disconnector spring goes DOWN in to the trigger. Installing it small side down can cause the disconnector to fail and allow out of battery firing which isn't a good thing.

A common mistake is the direction you install the hammer spring. Make sure that when the hammer goes back it tightens the coil.

Since this is your first, go slow.

Out of habbit I always seperate my LPK in to little assemblies: the front takedown pin (has a flat side) with detent and detent spring, the rear takedown pin (round head) with detent and detent spring, the hammer with hammer spring and pin, the trigger/disconnector assembly with pin, disconnector spring, trigger spring and pin, the selector with detent, detent spring, pistol grip, pistol grip bolt and lock washer, the magazine release with mag release spring and mag release button, the bolt hold open with bolt hold open spring, bolt hold open strut(?), the buffer retainer pin with the buffer retainer spring and the trigger guard with roll pin.

That allows you to inventory and inspect your parts so that you can find an obvious problem before you start the assembly rather than in the middle of it.

Good luck (but it's pretty easy), ask if you have trouble with the bolt hold open roll pin, that's the trickiest part (but easy if you know the right trick).

XDRoX
09-27-2010, 3:31 PM
Thanks for the replies. Good advice and info.
Thanks

chesterthehero
09-27-2010, 4:12 PM
the brownells "how to" videos are great and easy to follow..
ive found that using an AR wrench as a spacer for assembling the trigger gaurd is the "hardest" part simply because its prettymuch the only one that if you screw it up.. yer screwed..
harbor freight has punch sets that work just fine.. theres no need to get every fancy tool.. an AR wrech is the only "specialty" tool ive ever used.. it also doubles as a nice hammer for all the pins..

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-assemble-lower-receiver-your-own-ar-15-rifle-267084/

Jonb.
09-27-2010, 5:12 PM
I 2nd the being careful not to launch detents!
Try to do it on a clean area thats a flat color white would be best but a wood floor would work cus those suckers FLY! The last thing you want to do is go carpet commando searching for a spring or detent! I know this from experience... lol.

Vtec44
09-27-2010, 5:51 PM
ive found that using an AR wrench as a spacer for assembling the trigger gaurd is the "hardest" part simply because its prettymuch the only one that if you screw it up.. yer screwed..

After several AR lowers, I've learned that you can put the trigger guard between the "ears" while hammering in the roll pin. That way, it takes the force away from the ears. So, typically I install the front portion of the guard, the slide it between the ears and hammer down the roll pin.

stix213
09-27-2010, 6:19 PM
There are some good instructions on youtube. I built my first AR recently using the youtube instructions without ever owning one before, and it didn't even explode when I fired it :D

In fact I can't even get the thing to jam when shooting Russian steelcased ammo so I must have done something right :p

dieselpower
09-27-2010, 6:25 PM
After several AR lowers, I've learned that you can put the trigger guard between the "ears" while hammering in the roll pin. That way, it takes the force away from the ears. So, typically I install the front portion of the guard, the slide it between the ears and hammer down the roll pin.

Thats how .mil taught me too

DougJ
09-27-2010, 6:26 PM
Don't worry. It's actually a very simple design, follow any of the instructions mentioned here and you'll be OK. If you do get stuck or have an issue check back in before you force the issue, and take your time.

It'll be fun.

barbasol
09-27-2010, 6:28 PM
I built my first lower two weeks ago. I used a hammer a steel punch I had already tape a razor blade and the stock wrench. I just put the YouTube video on and did one step at a time.

I also printed out the picture of the lower parts kit on ar15.com and laid all my parts out on top of it so I knew what was what. You may have some duplicated with things like the grip screws and trigger guard screws depending on your parts kit

Good luck!

keson
09-27-2010, 6:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iA_Vkb2UB1w
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq4KfUaVp8M

Disconnecter spring has the fat side going into the trigger troth
pay close attention to the way you place the hammer spring.

used a 6" 1/4 drive socket extension as a hammer block to keep the hammer away from the lower. Used on the Bolt release pin if you are not using the vise grip method.

just watch the video the whole way once, then GO BACK and do it step by step pausing for each.

+1 on Youtube. PAUSE and GO back to do it step by step

Caiden07
09-27-2010, 6:48 PM
Don't worry you'll be ok...just let us know if it's a boy or a girl.:yes:

TKM
09-27-2010, 7:12 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I have a complete set of AR tools in case you need anything special.

chesterthehero
09-27-2010, 7:26 PM

its never the top ear im worried about breaking.. its the bottom one.. :shrug:

Cokebottle
09-27-2010, 7:29 PM
http://www.calguns.net/OLL/assembly.html

XDRoX
09-27-2010, 7:34 PM
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782

I have a complete set of AR tools in case you need anything special.

Thanks for the offer TKM. I think I have everything though.

Honeydos
09-27-2010, 7:44 PM
When you install the bolt release roll pin, TAPE THE RECEIVER AROUND THE BOLT RELEASE AND USE A PUNCH FROM A DISTANCE TO PREVENT SCRATCHING YOUR RECIEVER! DO NOT TRY TO TAP THE ROLL PIN IN DIRECTLY WITH THE HAMMER! This is the most common "idiot mark" you will see on first time builds. Good luck and have fun!

Cokebottle
09-27-2010, 7:54 PM
When you install the bolt release roll pin, TAPE THE RECEIVER AROUND THE BOLT RELEASE AND USE A PUNCH FROM A DISTANCE TO PREVENT SCRATCHING YOUR RECIEVER! DO NOT TRY TO TAP THE ROLL PIN IN DIRECTLY WITH THE HAMMER! This is the most common "idiot mark" you will see on first time builds. Good luck and have fun!
I just tape the heck out of the jaws of a pair of Vise-Grips. I haven't used a hammer and punch for any of my lowers.

To avoid issues with the trigger guard roll pin....

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=1237

Out of stock right now, but these things rock!

javalos
09-27-2010, 8:49 PM
Well I just got my first package of parts from the UPS guy. Going to pick up my lower tomorrow and expect my upper on Thurs. I have someone coming over to help me build it, but I wanted to read up so I also know what's going on. I suppose everything will be fairly easy to figure out except the lower parts kit.

Are there any good websites with instructions?

Thanks.

Here's a pic of some of the stuff:D
http://members.cox.net/chrismosteller/magpul.jpg

In my opinion, this is thee best one I've seen, well laid out, step by step. This is where I learned how to put mine together.
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-build-stripped-ar-15-rifle-lower-assembly-255593/

Cashrip
09-27-2010, 8:52 PM
+1 for brownells how to videos
i built my first lower last week and it ended up being alot easier than i thought it would be.

Nessal
09-27-2010, 10:06 PM
If you were local i would totally help you build it.

joedogboy
09-27-2010, 11:25 PM
Don't forget to perform a function check before you load it or try to fire it.

orangeglo
09-28-2010, 12:12 AM
Don't launch the detents!

wrightb
09-28-2010, 2:37 AM
Don't forget to perform a function check before you load it or try to fire it.

Or take it to a gun store to have them function check it, just to be sure. My local store checked mine for free

joedogboy
09-28-2010, 7:14 AM
It is not difficult to perform a function check - and it let's you know if something is wrong with the FCG assembly.

with no magazine or ammo anywhere near the AR:
pull the charging handle to the rear and release (bolt carrier group should go forward)
place on safe
pull trigger (nothing should happen)
place on fire
pull trigger and hold (you should hear the hammer going forward)
while continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release the charging handle (bolt carrier group should go forward)
release trigger (there should be a small click as the FCG resets)
pull trigger (you should hear the hammer going forward)

Problems with these last two indicate a poor fit of FCG components, which can be problematic on AR builds.

Honeydos
09-28-2010, 7:56 AM
I just tape the heck out of the jaws of a pair of Vise-Grips. I haven't used a hammer and punch for any of my lowers.

I'll give that a try, good idea, thanks.

radioburning
09-28-2010, 8:08 AM
Put a towel, or a sheet over your head and hands when installing the detents/springs. When they fly, and they will fly, the towel/sheet will keep them from flying across the room and getting lost. Also, eye protection at this time is not a bad idea.

BANG BANG
09-28-2010, 8:16 AM
Don't worry you'll be ok...just let us know if it's a boy or a girl.:yes:

thats funny, never thought about it that way. I think mines going to be a girl.

....a naughty girl that can do evil things lol

I just dros'd a lower and will be putting it together myself too. OP.. it does not look very hard if you watch the vids and go slowly.

C_1
09-28-2010, 9:36 AM
Yep, thats how I first learned, watching videos and reading and whatnot. Now I can install a LPK in just a few minutes. All I use is a small hammer, a punch, and a stock wrench to put together an AR lower.

Go slow, take your time, and be careful not to launch detents or springs. A buddy of mine recommended working inside a plastic bag so if the spring/detent goes flying, it will be contained in the bag. Tape up the receiver so you dont scratch it. Use a bit of oil on the roll pins to help it slide in. Protect the ears when installing the trigger guard roll pin.

Its been a while since I installed a LPK so Im probably leaving out some other tips and tricks. But just watch the video(s) and you should be good.

Res
09-28-2010, 9:59 AM
Put a towel, or a sheet over your head and hands when installing the detents/springs. When they fly, and they will fly, the towel/sheet will keep them from flying across the room and getting lost.

I know I probably looked silly when my wife and her friends walked into the living room to see me with a sheet over my head and a flashlight :p

metalliman545
09-28-2010, 12:07 PM
It is not difficult to perform a function check - and it let's you know if something is wrong with the FCG assembly.

with no magazine or ammo anywhere near the AR:
pull the charging handle to the rear and release (bolt carrier group should go forward)
place on safe
pull trigger (nothing should happen)
place on fire
pull trigger and hold (you should hear the hammer going forward)
while continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear and release the charging handle (bolt carrier group should go forward)
release trigger (there should be a small click as the FCG resets)
pull trigger (you should hear the hammer going forward)

These last two indicate a poor fit of FCG components, which can be problematic on AR builds.

problematic? really? every m16/m4 (more than i can count) that ive handled int he army does this. my AR at home does this. ive never had a problem with either and ive fired thousands upon thousands of rounds. when we were taught all this stuff by our drill sgts they explained its suppose to do that.

Cokebottle
09-28-2010, 5:03 PM
while continuing to hold the trigger to the rear, pull the charging handle to the rear
Also, at this point, if the trigger "rocks" forward against your finger's pressure, it's called "trigger slap" and can lead to accidental bump-firing if the FCG is "able" to reset when the bolt comes forward before your finger pressure brings the trigger back again.

joedogboy
09-28-2010, 6:04 PM
problematic? really? every m16/m4 (more than i can count) that ive handled int he army does this. my AR at home does this. ive never had a problem with either and ive fired thousands upon thousands of rounds. when we were taught all this stuff by our drill sgts they explained its suppose to do that.

Sorry if I was not clear - I meant that if the bolded items don't check out properly, it indicates a problem.

I hate ambiguity! Let me go and edit that.

norcal.xd
09-28-2010, 7:13 PM
i built mine with the help of you tube....its so easy and quick... just take your time and pay attention to what you are doing and you should be fine....also use masking tape to tape off areas that you are going to be messing with. i see alot of people with chewed up ars from banging the $#!T out of there new rifles.... i think i got written instructions from ar15.com but only used it for back up instructions....