PDA

View Full Version : Oroville Clean UP? Fish and Game?

Wicked Pete
09-27-2010, 2:52 PM
Made a recent trip to the Oroville Range: what a mess. Is it run by Fish and Game? Does anyone know who takes care of cleanup there? Just a mess: hundreds of left over targets, broken glass everywhere; tons of crap. This creates a pretty bad stereotype.

Spyder
09-27-2010, 7:46 PM
It's a good range, that a lot of people screw up. I believe its the third Thursday of every month where they shut it down and do a big cleanup, but it's not often enough. More than anything, people just need to not be dirtbags.

scoob_i_e
09-28-2010, 6:22 AM
I'll be in for a cleanup if/when one is scheduled.....

tacticalcity
09-28-2010, 9:01 AM
It is a great open range. We need more of those in this state. One of the few places you can train from the holster.

There is a lot of junk down range so people have something to shoot at. There are no fixed targets or target stands. Other than make shift targets, lots of brass, and a few empty ammo boxes here or there it has never seemed like a junk yard to me. I've never seen the broken glass or garbages full of stuff or anything along those lines. Just make shift targets left for the people who forget to bring their own.

You can't expect an open range to 100% prestine like a managed range.

omgwtfbbq
09-28-2010, 9:19 AM
I think Oroville is pretty decent considering the alternatives for open range shooting in the area. I would much rather drive out there than go to some other ranges (spenceville comes to mind) but yes there always tends to be a couple yahoos who don't clean up after themselves, and the unfortunately reality of an open, BYOT range, it's difficult, in not impossible to keep it clean.

As previously stated, the DFG does a cleanup on a monthly basis. Whether or not that's changed because of budget cuts or something, I don't know.

tileguy
09-28-2010, 9:45 PM
the 3rd thursday of every month the con-crews clean up with a dumpster

omega
11-12-2010, 7:39 PM
the Oroville Range is better, the parking lot has packed in rocks & gravel so you dont have to worry about driving in the mud , there are other places to go nearby you can have lunch in Oroville or buy ammo or shooting supplies at Huntingtons in Oroville, pick up a sandwich at Walmart, buy some gas

they even have a rest room at the range

Spenceville has nothing but dirt roads and nowhere to take a break

wakesin
12-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Good to see some other Butte county shooters!

I would be down for an oroville range clean up. Typically me and my buddies head up to cohasset for some inna woods shooting, that could also use some cleaning up

keep me posted!

BigDogatPlay
12-18-2010, 4:03 PM
Made a recent trip to the Oroville Range: what a mess. Is it run by Fish and Game?

The Clay Pit range near the airport is "managed" by DFG. The wardens spend most of their time up in the hills chasing tweaker poachers so the State Park Rangers from Lake Oroville (there is an OHV area at the Clay Pit that they manage) were spending more time there than DFG.

SinisterBud
02-28-2011, 9:28 PM
Its a great range and yes it can get dirty i have family in Biggs and Oroville so when i go down to see them i bring my guns and shot there. I clean my mess up and the mess around me. Yes it nice they have a nice bath room and a cement pick-nick tables.

5spd
03-19-2011, 9:04 PM
I see it has not changed since I moved from Chico to WY.
My sons & I hauled a ton of trash out of there over the years Ive shot there.
Ive told others there to clean up their targets/trash and got nasty look more times than I can count.
Same above Cohasset where shooters very rarely cleaned up. We cleaned up there like Oroville on my dime.

yakmon
03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
they probably called off the cleanup cause of the weather.

tony56shooter
03-20-2011, 7:09 PM
Leaving a mess is not ok in my opinion, but the inmates from the jail do clean it up the last Thurday of each month. They close the range that day so don't show up!