PDA

View Full Version : More CA shotgun law questions

2nd Amender
05-25-2006, 5:20 PM
So I read the law & I've searched the forums. I understand that a magazine can't hold more than 10 rounds. I've been looking at a Mossberg 500 with a detachable magazine. Knoxx makes a 6 round straight & a 10 round circular. I was ready to start buying.

I ran into a guy at a party that said you can't have a detachable magazine with more than 3 rounds. A 10 round factory magazine is OK (but it would stick out past a 18.5" barrel). I seem to remember seeing something about removable magazines on automatics, but not pumps.

I really like the look of the mossberg with a 10 or 6 round magazine & folding stock w/ a light & barrel vent. But I mostly would like to swap out ammo quickly. I was thinking of having it loaded with rubber balls, then swapping out to bird shot or slugs if things get ugly.

http://www.knoxx.com/store/showitem2.php?item_id=5

Altahick
05-25-2006, 5:32 PM
as far as i know i think that is ok, if its on a pump gun,

blkA4alb
05-25-2006, 8:43 PM
Yes you can have knoxx's setup on your pump mossberg. Detachable magazines are only restricted on semi-auto shotguns.

12276.1. (a) Notwithstanding Section 12276, "assault weapon" shall also mean any of the following
(6) A semiautomatic shotgun that has both of the following:
(A) A folding or telescoping stock.
(B) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon, thumbhole stock, or vertical handgrip.
(7) A semiautomatic shotgun that has the ability to accept a detachable magazine.
(8) Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder.

bonjing
05-26-2006, 1:42 AM
your good to go, i've seen them on a mossberg 500. yhe guy had the 10 rounder and the spec ops stock put on. looked fugly as heck with the charging handle on the forearm. don't know if he put it together wrong but the system didn't seem to work very well, ftfeed every other round.

i still want a spec ops stock though.:cool:

2nd Amender
05-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the update. I've been looking at the knoxx copstock. I want the shortness & the recoil spring looks handy.

http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/COPstock.htm

RobT2K
05-30-2006, 12:08 PM
I have the SpecOps and I've tried the Copstock on a mossberg 500. The specops definitely absorbs more felt recoil, the problem with the copstock is the wirestock digs into your shoulder much more than the buttpad of the specops.

My brother is going through this same choice between the two, he loves my specops but his inner mall ninja insists on the copstock.

Also you may want to do a search in the tactical shotguns section on shotgunworld.com some of the users of the copstock didn't like the way the wire stock "wiggles" when fully extended. It doesn't feel like it is very sturdy unless you pull it very tight into your shoulder(like you should). It didn't make a difference to me, but I think the newer version of the copstock that knoxx is coming out with in a month or two looks alot beefier. It's listed on their site as the "Folding SpecOps" so maybe they are trying to get away from the negative feedback on the Copstock name.
http://www.knoxx.com/NewStyleKnoxx/Products/SpecOps_Folder.html

2nd Amender
05-30-2006, 12:53 PM
Yes, the new stock looks much better. I hear what you're saying about the recoil, etc. I don't hunt anymore, nor do I skeet shoot, etc. My inner ninja is also telling me I need a folding stock for home protection.

I used to have a sawed off dbbl barrel that I kept in a thigh holster I made. It started off as a holloween Mad Max costume. I got pretty good at shooting one handed. I got rid of it because it really freaked people out, especially the police.