PDA

View Full Version : Single Vs Two Stage Triggers

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Im looking to replace the trigger in my AR. Im up in the air as far as ss vs ts triggers. I know they say that ts triggers are safer, but what are the true pros and cons of both?

CrippledPidgeon
09-27-2010, 12:39 PM
Im looking to replace the trigger in my AR. Im up in the air as far as ss vs ts triggers. I know they say that ts triggers are safer, but what are the true pros and cons of both?

As long as they're tuned by someone who knows what they're doing, they can both be very safe, and they can both be very nice.

A lot of what it comes down to is price and personal preference. SS triggers tend to be less expensive than TS triggers because there are fewer parts involved. However until the M16 at least, the military only used TS triggers.

After that, if you have a SS trigger and a TS trigger, each set at 4.5lb, the TS trigger will feel lighter, because you take up the first stage with 1-2lb of pull, and you'll only need an additional 2.5-3.5lb for the trigger to break, whereas the SS will require pulling that 4.5lb all at once.

odysseus
09-27-2010, 12:56 PM
I know they say that ts triggers are safer, but what are the true pros and cons of both?

Never heard that in terms of "safer". In fact when you think on that the whole idea of applying "safety" to this seems more an odd conversation.

It's going to be about your preference. TS triggers as mentioned give you a stop point in the pull with a set lighter pull. Lot of people like that, but one instructor I had, an ex-marine too, hated TS and said SS on a combat rifle (for him) was the only way to go. I have both depending on which AR of mine you pick up.

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-27-2010, 1:03 PM
Never heard that in terms of "safer". In fact when you think on that the whole idea of applying "safety" to this seems more an odd conversation.

It's going to be about your preference. TS triggers as mentioned give you a stop point in the pull with a set lighter pull. Lot of people like that, but one instructor I had, an ex-marine too, hated TS and said SS on a combat rifle (for him) was the only way to go. I have both depending on which AR of mine you pick up.

I have done some research on this subject and I heard it was "safer". IDK it could be FUD. But of the two you own, which one do you prefer? which one has the shorter trigger reset

odysseus
09-27-2010, 1:15 PM
I have done some research on this subject and I heard it was "safer". IDK it could be FUD. But of the two you own, which one do you prefer? which one has the shorter trigger reset

I am leaning right now on liking TS.

dfletcher
09-27-2010, 1:26 PM
Honestly, I went with the two stage because at the time the RRA could be had for $76.00 (now it's $99.00) postage included. Brownells just started carrying the CMMG for $100.00. I'd suppose I'm not a serious AR shooter, but they work well enough for me and I don't even think much about pressing through the 1st stage.

Nathan Krynn
09-27-2010, 1:29 PM
The safer comes from a 2.5 lbs SS vs. 2.5 lbs (second stage) TS.

CrippledPidgeon had a great explanation at 4.5 lbs.

I however have a lot of customers who request a 2.5 lbs trigger and I advise I won't sell a single stage that low on an AR platform but will on a two stage.

stphnman20
09-27-2010, 1:31 PM
I don't see a point on these trigger in an AR. Maybe doing precision stuff but not on a AR.

Spyder
09-27-2010, 1:37 PM
...What about on a precision AR, hmmmm?

stphnman20
09-27-2010, 1:40 PM
...What about on a precision AR, hmmmm?
Ok fine.. Long range AR. But not in a 16in bbl AR. I dont see the point.

Happy? my friend.. :D

killshot44
09-27-2010, 1:42 PM
Try as many types as you can. It really is a personal preference; what I like you might not.

I happen to prefer a 2lb single stage on my target AR. Others swear by two stage. It's like Brunettes vs Blondes vs Redheads.....;)

Vtec44
09-27-2010, 1:44 PM
I love red heads.

stphnman20
09-27-2010, 1:45 PM
I love red heads.
Fire crotch eh..

Nathan Krynn
09-27-2010, 1:45 PM
Don't discount a 16" AR-15. Most of them can out shoot the owners. Also they can reach out further then what they get credit for.

Some people can handle low single stages but I have seen so many that can't we don't sell them anymore, 2 stage only below 4 lbs.

Vtec44
09-27-2010, 1:48 PM
Fire crotch eh..

Not if she's skillful with a razor... :o

Don't discount a 16" AR-15. Most of them can out shoot the owners. Also they can reach out further then what they get credit for.

I have an RRA 2-stage on my soon to be 16" 6.8 SPC. My other RRA 16" mid-length 5.56 can get sub MOA with factory ammo on a shooting rest. So the rifle is capable, the owner needs a lot more practice.

Wildeman_13
09-27-2010, 1:49 PM
Thanks for this post! I never really thought about 2-stage versus Single stage until this past weekend where I was trying to practice letting up on the trigger just enough to feel the reset. Then I realized that there was no take up at all on the trigger after a shot. I'm guessing this makes it a single stage trigger.

<--- AR newb.

hoozaru
09-27-2010, 1:54 PM
Timney Ar-15/Ar-Style .308 Drop-In Trigger

Nathan Krynn
09-27-2010, 1:56 PM
Since I am married to a blonde I have to go with that or I will have one po'ed SPC come hunt me down in her BDU's and sadly they taught her a thing or two.

Mr_Monkeywrench
09-27-2010, 2:05 PM
LOL.. you guys are too much... I have a 1911 with a single stage trigger and I LOVE IT!! I was using that as kind of a comparison (may be apples to oranges). But this is what Ive been eyeballing.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=864051

CrippledPidgeon
10-02-2010, 6:34 PM
Thanks for this post! I never really thought about 2-stage versus Single stage until this past weekend where I was trying to practice letting up on the trigger just enough to feel the reset. Then I realized that there was no take up at all on the trigger after a shot. I'm guessing this makes it a single stage trigger.

<--- AR newb.

A properly setup single stage trigger (AR or not) will have no take up whatsoever. An improperly setup trigger with creep will feel like the pull weight steadily increases as the trigger moves back to the break.

A two stage trigger will have a light take up followed by a noticeable increase in pull weight (no creep), or will feel light for a while and then start increasing to the break (with creep).

LOL.. you guys are too much... I have a 1911 with a single stage trigger and I LOVE IT!! I was using that as kind of a comparison (may be apples to oranges). But this is what Ive been eyeballing.

I think you may be confusing single stage with single action. They are two entirely different things. A single action trigger is one where pulling the trigger performs a single function in regards to the firing sequence: releasing the hammer. A double action performs two or more: typically cocking and then releasing the hammer (rotating a cylinder may also be involved).

Double action triggers are (to the best of my knowledge at least) only found in handguns. Rifles and shotguns are exclusively single action and have no ability to recock hammers or strikers by pulling the trigger.

Single stage triggers refers to stages of trigger pull weight. Single stage triggers are set at a single weight and shouldn't move until you reach that weight. Two stage triggers have a light first stage (otherwise known as take up), and a heavier second stage that shouldn't move until the break.

And so we don't confuse creep with overtravel. Creep is movement in the trigger's final stage before the break. Overtravel is movement after the break.

Joe
10-02-2010, 6:40 PM
I have a Timney 3lb single stage trigger. Its awesome

Sicarius
10-02-2010, 6:46 PM
For my non precision rifles, I like a single stage. That is just my preference...
Kevin