PDA

View Full Version : Ipod-Video failed

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Any hope for repairs. It doesn turn on jsut shows an Ipod with a sad face and a wrning sign. When its trying to turn on i can hear it clicking on the inside. Im assuming the hard drive failed.

any repars or is it toast. the apple tech support was un helpful. just refered me to an Apple store.

stphnman20
09-27-2010, 12:09 PM
I'ts done with dude. Same thing happened to my nano.

Go get the new Ipod touch.

AJAX22
09-27-2010, 12:15 PM
The ipod touch is wayyyyyy more awesome... offload the old ipod on ebay for parts and put the money towards one of the ipod touch's

gunn
09-27-2010, 12:16 PM
Any hope for repairs. It doesn turn on jsut shows an Ipod with a sad face and a wrning sign. When its trying to turn on i can hear it clicking on the inside. Im assuming the hard drive failed.

any repars or is it toast. the apple tech support was un helpful. just refered me to an Apple store.

I like my iphone but I absolutely detest apple customer service.

To me, "just buy a new one" without any consideration as to if the original product is repairable is a) ****ty for the environment and b) just another indication of our disposable consumer focused society.

Contrary to what any genius tells you, ANYTHING is repairable. For you, it should just be a question about whether or not it is cost effective.

If you are handy with tools, you can crack open your IPOD and fix it. The "clicky sound" is usually indicative of a dead/dying HDD.

If you are less mechanically inclined, there are folks that would replace that HDD for you if you want. My suggestion is to go on Craiglist as there are always a bunch of college kids willing to make a few extra bucks by helping you do this while you wait (I had a guy softmod an old PSP for $10 while I waited b/c I didn't have the proper debug tool). Some of the more enterprising ones will also carry inventory of spare parts but will NOT have the overhead of a retail storefront or shipping (like the Mac/Cellphone fixit places or ebay/online services). IMO, that's a good thing.

Summary: Don't just fall into Steve Job's trap of buying whatever new iPoop he's shoveling this week. Call a few folks off CL and get some quotes. Ask yourself if its worth it. Check what sad mac ipods go for on ebay/CL. Do the math.
-g

SoCal Bob
09-27-2010, 2:09 PM
I have used this guy before and have been very happy. One he could fix and did so at a reasonable price and another he said would not be cost effective to fix, so I was just out the postage.

Joe at the:
iPod Repair Clinic
1520 Reeves St.
Los Angeles, CA, 90035-2929
www.iPodRepairClinic.com

Apple also sells refurbished Ipods on the apple site if you are looking to save a few bucks. Good luck.

xibunkrlilkidsx
09-27-2010, 5:38 PM
I have used this guy before and have been very happy. One he could fix and did so at a reasonable price and another he said would not be cost effective to fix, so I was just out the postage.

Joe at the:
iPod Repair Clinic
1520 Reeves St.
Los Angeles, CA, 90035-2929
www.iPodRepairClinic.com (http://www.iPodRepairClinic.com)

Apple also sells refurbished Ipods on the apple site if you are looking to save a few bucks. Good luck.

30gb hard drive not avail. but ill try to call them and see what they can do.

I like my iphone but I absolutely detest apple customer service.

To me, "just buy a new one" without any consideration as to if the original product is repairable is a) ****ty for the environment and b) just another indication of our disposable consumer focused society.

Contrary to what any genius tells you, ANYTHING is repairable. For you, it should just be a question about whether or not it is cost effective.

If you are handy with tools, you can crack open your IPOD and fix it. The "clicky sound" is usually indicative of a dead/dying HDD.

If you are less mechanically inclined, there are folks that would replace that HDD for you if you want. My suggestion is to go on Craiglist as there are always a bunch of college kids willing to make a few extra bucks by helping you do this while you wait (I had a guy softmod an old PSP for $10 while I waited b/c I didn't have the proper debug tool). Some of the more enterprising ones will also carry inventory of spare parts but will NOT have the overhead of a retail storefront or shipping (like the Mac/Cellphone fixit places or ebay/online services). IMO, that's a good thing.

Summary: Don't just fall into Steve Job's trap of buying whatever new iPoop he's shoveling this week. Call a few folks off CL and get some quotes. Ask yourself if its worth it. Check what sad mac ipods go for on ebay/CL. Do the math.
-g

its not worth much to be honest. i use it 99% of the time in my truck to play music through the stereo. but would like to use it when in the gym since im going again. im the same way. if it can be repaired for a reasonable amount ill go that route.

My gf brother is real techno savey. i can see if he knows anyone of his friends that can do a repair on it.

Thanks for all the responses.

radioed22
09-27-2010, 6:36 PM
Check out iFixit.com. They sell parts. Its the hard drive thats the problem. Get the model of the Hard Drive then look for the best price under ebay, and google shopping. You might get one really cheap. I replaced the battery on my gen3 which is before the click wheel.

JDay
09-27-2010, 7:41 PM
I'ts done with dude. Same thing happened to my nano.

Go get the new Ipod touch.

It's not dead, you can either do a hard reset or replace the hard drive if it has failed.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1320?viewlocale=en_us&locale=en_us