PDA

View Full Version : Which AK to buy and from whom?

MKUltra
09-27-2010, 8:50 AM
I did a quick search for this topic but did not find what I was looking for. I am looking to purchase a Cali legal AK-47. I need help with which ones are worthless and problematic and which ones are solid and reliable which is what an AK should be. I've read good and bad things about the WASR and don't know if I want to go that route. I am willing to pay more for something that is well built and have a chrome barrel.

What manufacturers do you recommend and which ones should I avoid? Also, where are you guys buying them from?

I was also wondering what is a Cali legal AK? As I understand it:

1) No Pistol Grip but you can have an easily detachable mag.

2) Pistol Grip but you must have the clip button thing on it. Can you still mount any stock you like for this?

Turk
09-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Check out the flow chart in the thread "How to not get arrested" that will answer your easy question of whats legal.
http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Be prepared to be inundated with info about AK's. I'm on the hunt for my first and the guys here have helped immensely. How much do you want to spend ? Are we talking AK 47 or 74 ? Buying an AK is like buying a car there are a crap load of options from high to low pick your poison. But the just I got of it is they are all pretty much the same , if you buy anything from Century make sure you inspect it , you can get a Century WASR from 350.00 to 460.00 you can buy a Yugo for 600.00 you can by a Bulgarian for 1300.00 or you can by saiga and convert it. Just do your homework and get something YOU want....Welcome to the club:D

CSACANNONEER
09-27-2010, 12:00 PM
Personally, I would go with a WASR or build my own. Of course, all the AKs I own are 3 WASRs, a PARA (I like strange guns) and a "few" homebuilt AKs. The main difference between a $350 WASR and a +$800 (insert any manufacture name here) is fit and finish. Either one should work just fine. Sure, I've seen AKs with problems functioning but, they have not been limited to the "cheaper" makes. The exception to all of this would be milled receivers. If you want to spend more than $500 on a shooter AK, you should be looking at milled builds!

If you have any interest in manufacturing your own AK, just shoot me a PM and I can help point you in the right dirrection.

ZX-10R
09-27-2010, 12:28 PM
WASR if you are price sensitive...I have had 2 and a PSL (large AK) and they are both from Century and are all shooters. My WASR right now is my favorite gun...Very accurate and trouble free.

Join AK Files if you are interested in AKs...Quite a few of us there have WASRs and other makes.

There is very little in design deviation from most AK pattern rifles so expect them to shoot similarly. People will say WASRs are junk. They were mass produced arms and being they are stamped have more tolerance in them.

I would not trade my WASR for any boutique AK pattern rifle...That is how much I enjoy and like mine.

MKUltra
09-27-2010, 12:52 PM
WASR if you are price sensitive...I have had 2 and a PSL (large AK) and they are both from Century and are all shooters. My WASR right now is my favorite gun...Very accurate and trouble free.

Join AK Files if you are interested in AKs...Quite a few of us there have WASRs and other makes.

There is very little in design deviation from most AK pattern rifles so expect them to shoot similarly. People will say WASRs are junk. They were mass produced arms and being they are stamped have more tolerance in them.

I would not trade my WASR for any boutique AK pattern rifle...That is how much I enjoy and like mine.

Hey Guys, thanks for the information. I should have been more specific so here are my guidelines for an AK. I am willing to spend up to $1000 for a solid AK platform. This means NO issues and I can put crap ammo in there and it will still fire lots of lead down range. I am ex Mil and have fired Russian ones and they are awesome. The SF guys that were letting us play with them were doing pushups with the clip on the ground and their entire body weight over them.

I do not care about the finish...just pure function and reliability. If you guys suggest the WASR can for fill that role...than sign me up. As long as it gets a decent grouping at 100 yards, I am happy. I would like to put an aftermarket stock on it like this one but do not know if it's legal?

My friend in Atlanta showed me his Mak-90 and that was awesome but I know we can't buy them here.

Hey ZX-10R, I'll be at Thill Oct 9th and 10th if you’re riding. Let me know if you’re going.

Martan
09-27-2010, 12:53 PM
Are you sure you want AK ?
Check out this gun: https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/53562
From my personal experience carrying this gun around and using it as a service weapon, I highly recommend.

ZX-10R
09-27-2010, 1:27 PM
Hey Guys, thanks for the information. I should have been more specific so here are my guidelines for an AK. I am willing to spend up to $1000 for a solid AK platform. This means NO issues and I can put crap ammo in there and it will still fire lots of lead down range. I am ex Mil and have fired Russian ones and they are awesome. The SF guys that were letting us play with them were doing pushups with the clip on the ground and their entire body weight over them.

I do not care about the finish...just pure function and reliability. If you guys suggest the WASR can for fill that role...than sign me up. As long as it gets a decent grouping at 100 yards, I am happy. I would like to put an aftermarket stock on it like this one but do not know if it's legal?

My friend in Atlanta showed me his Mak-90 and that was awesome but I know we can't buy them here.

Hey ZX-10R, I'll be at Thill Oct 9th and 10th if you’re riding. Let me know if you’re going.

My signature pic is from THill. My wife does not allow me on the track any longer due to one spill on the track and one on the street due to Turkeys in my neighborhood...Last time I asked I had to hear so much gibberish I just walked away and said ok. Thus, I got a dirtbike to get my thrills instead. My 10R would be a beast to handle on Thill...However, on Redwood Road in Norcal I can get pretty aggressive with it.

WASRs are awesome...My AR I treat like a queen my WASR gets thrown a bit. Things to know:

1) Buy where you can sellect from...I picked up a 1972 since it is known that quality of parts were better in older years than newer years. 72 is also my wife's year.
2) Cants on the front sight. Fixable with rubber mallet or gunsmith. The one I got from Riflegear is cant free. Cant on gas tube is different...Watch for that.
3) Rust...Do not confuse with cosmoline.
4) Mag wobble is fine but not too loose...People make a huge deal on this but it is acceptable depending on how loose it is.
5) Loose parts/ rivets.
6) Matching numbers is not a must but most are matching.
7) See if you have pin and threads to remove muzzle device. Aftermarket is worth getting. I got the AK74 muzzle device but am looking at Romanian muzzle device to keep it Romy (I am going there next year to visit in-laws so I may hold off - can I bring back parts?)
8) Scope mount it on tight with no movement at all.
9) Stock is always not a concern since you can remove and refinish.
10) Cleaning kit comes with it...There is a pin extractor you will need one day.
11) Actions are all smooth and not ruff. Pull charging handle and there is no bite back and forth.

Should be it...

You should pay OTD total less than $580...The remaining $420 can go to Yugo brass ammo $260 to your door for 1260 rounds. Scope mount for optics or red dots, etc for $40. KVAR stock which is longer by 1.25 inches for $80 or $120 for handguards and stock...There you go. Just add a red dot or optic of your choice and you are golden.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb85/mosepeda2000/AuraLita.jpg

MKUltra
09-27-2010, 2:57 PM
Bummer but crashing is part of tracking riding. It's way safer than riding street as I have not been on the street in 4 years and do not miss it. If you ever do come out, look for 63.

Thanks for the info on the WASR...I will definitely be checking them out. I'll ping you later as that quad rail your rocking looks bad ***. Thanks for the info.

My signature pic is from THill. My wife does not allow me on the track any longer due to one spill on the track and one on the street due to Turkeys in my neighborhood...Last time I asked I had to hear so much gibberish I just walked away and said ok. Thus, I got a dirtbike to get my thrills instead. My 10R would be a beast to handle on Thill...However, on Redwood Road in Norcal I can get pretty aggressive with it.

WASRs are awesome...My AR I treat like a queen my WASR gets thrown a bit. Things to know:

1) Buy where you can sellect from...I picked up a 1972 since it is known that quality of parts were better in older years than newer years. 72 is also my wife's year.
2) Cants on the front sight. Fixable with rubber mallet or gunsmith. The one I got from Riflegear is cant free. Cant on gas tube is different...Watch for that.
3) Rust...Do not confuse with cosmoline.
4) Mag wobble is fine but not too loose...People make a huge deal on this but it is acceptable depending on how loose it is.
5) Loose parts/ rivets.
6) Matching numbers is not a must but most are matching.
7) See if you have pin and threads to remove muzzle device. Aftermarket is worth getting. I got the AK74 muzzle device but am looking at Romanian muzzle device to keep it Romy (I am going there next year to visit in-laws so I may hold off - can I bring back parts?)
8) Scope mount it on tight with no movement at all.
9) Stock is always not a concern since you can remove and refinish.
10) Cleaning kit comes with it...There is a pin extractor you will need one day.
11) Actions are all smooth and not ruff. Pull charging handle and there is no bite back and forth.

Should be it...

You should pay OTD total less than $580...The remaining $420 can go to Yugo brass ammo $260 to your door for 1260 rounds. Scope mount for optics or red dots, etc for $40. KVAR stock which is longer by 1.25 inches for $80 or $120 for handguards and stock...There you go. Just add a red dot or optic of your choice and you are golden.

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb85/mosepeda2000/AuraLita.jpg