PDA

View Full Version : Quality of various lower parts kits? IE DPMS

vincentk
09-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Does anyone have differing experiences with lower parts kits from various brands, especially lower end ones from DPMS? Do they differ any from LPKs from higher end brand names?

Thanks.

pacrimguru
09-26-2010, 11:38 PM
i always use DPMS and have never had a problem. i've built quite a few lowers and i haven't had any issues but some others tend not to like them.

ParallaxTactical.com
09-27-2010, 2:48 AM
Skip the DPMS kits. Go for RRA. We've tried almost all of them and the RRAs always work great. I've noticed the trigger feel on the DPMS might be a little bit better, but for a single stage it doesn't really get that much better.

EDIT: Reason is DPMS' roll pins never fit, and they use a screw instead a hex bolt, leading me to believe they might cut corners elsewhere.

gun toting monkeyboy
09-27-2010, 9:31 AM
I have never had any problems with the DPMS kits. I always put a slight crimp in the end of my roll pins before I start them, and make sure they are lubed before I try to put them in though. Most of the LPKs out there use parts that the different brands all buy from the same few sources. So in most cases, the kit that you get from High Standard will have the exact same parts as a Olympic or DPMS. There are only so many companies out there that make triggers or selector switches, or detents. The roll pins seem to have the most variation of all the parts. And those will vary from batch to batch, even within the same company's LPKs. The only company that I found was noticably better than the others with their LPKs was Anvil Arms, and they have long since gone under.

-Mb

U5512
09-27-2010, 10:44 AM
DPMS LPK is fine....I have used 2 kits in my rifles and the trigger pull is very crisp. The only down side is their trigger guard and bolt catch roll pins. They're always oversize and won't fit without you doing the crimping before installation. You can throw those pins out and order new ones from Rock River Arms (RRA) for $0.50 cents each, or go to your local hardware store and get the right size roll pins for less than $0.10 cents a piece. Other than that I will continue to use DPMS LPK and they work just fine.

dieselpower
09-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Skip the DPMS kits. Go for RRA. We've tried almost all of them and the RRAs always work great. I've noticed the trigger feel on the DPMS might be a little bit better, but for a single stage it doesn't really get that much better.

EDIT: Reason is DPMS' roll pins never fit, and they use a screw instead a hex bolt, leading me to believe they might cut corners elsewhere.

Can you explain this? Some people say, "upgrade"...you say..."cut corners".

Please go as far into it as you can. I have over 20 years experience in mil-spec, ISO, & ASQ standards so you are not going to lose me in the science.

I have never had a problem with DPMS pins, but I mainly use Stag.

Hova
09-27-2010, 11:29 AM
I have 2k rounds through a lower with a DPMS LPK. No problems thus far

U5512
09-27-2010, 11:42 AM

Can you explain this? Some people say, "upgrade"...you say..."cut corners".

Please go as far into it as you can. I have over 20 years experience in mil-spec, ISO, & ASQ standards so you are not going to lose me in the science.

I have never had a problem with DPMS pins, but I mainly use Stag.

I think he's referring to the pistol grip screw, which doesn't make any difference anyway between a flat head screw or a hex head type as long as it's tighten down correctly!!!:D

AJAX22
09-27-2010, 11:52 AM
I like DPMS because the hammer is not notched.

Switchbarrel
09-29-2010, 1:43 AM
I've built 5 or 6 various lowers with DPMS LPK's. After reading multiple posts on AR15 dot com, I just built one using an RRA LPK and the roll pins in the RRA kit were SIGNIFICANTLY easier to install vs. DPMS kits. I will definitely order another RRA LPK for the next build I do. I can't really compare triggers for you though. I put JARD triggers in two of mine and a JP in my other one. The other's I've put together with std. mil-spec triggers were for friends.
I ordered the DPMS for myself because I could order them sans triggers for a few bucks less.

-Rick