PDA

View Full Version : Building my very first AR - help

Sikhawk
09-26-2010, 7:02 PM
hey guys im new to calguns and I have decided to make my own ar-15 instead of breaking my bank for my a premade california legal one. I need feedback on OLL's- which brands are the best (after being broken in) in terms of reliability and accuracy. Right now im eyeing a Stag upper, and a spike's tactical lower. Any feedback on spike's? is it good/bad, does it have any problems? I was also thinking about a stag upper and lower combo. Im going to be using it to shoot with friends, not really the competition shooting type. Any suggestions on any other upper/lower brands? What about Rock River? Any help would greatly be appreciated

stphnman20
09-26-2010, 7:07 PM
A Stag upper and Spike lower is a good combo. For lowers, there all pretty much the same as far as mil spec. But there are a few that are not mil spec.

For the upper, it's pretty much on you. Barrel length, chrome line, etc..

oh and Welcome to the fourm.

Sikhawk
09-26-2010, 7:13 PM
thank you, i was wondering, what is the difference between 1/9 and 1/7 or 1/8? i have a vague understanding but dont know much about it

stphnman20
09-26-2010, 7:16 PM
here you go
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=345587&highlight=rifle+twist

Exposed
09-26-2010, 7:33 PM
Yep. When it comes to lowers, its really all about what markings from which company you prefer (and which are NOT on the ban list). So long as the lower is mil-spec, functionality does not really play a roll. Everything that makes an AR15 "work" is in the lower parts kit, upper receiver, bolt, bolt carrier, buffer and spring. The lower plays a very minimal, part when it comes to the function of your AR. As for twist, well, if you plan on shooting for distance (400-600 yards) you may want to go with a 1/7. Keep in mind, if your planning on going this kind of distance with an AR you will also be investing in more expensive, heavier grain ammo (62gr+). If you're planning on shooting 100-300 yards more regularly, then, a 1/9 is just fine. Also, cheaper 55gr ammo will work just fine out to 300 yards. Hope this helps. And, welcome to CGN.