View Full Version : TV Media Players?

09-26-2010, 5:03 PM
Hi guys.

I was at Fry's yesterday and I noticed the Western Digital TV Live Plus.

$119 gives you hdmi + USB for an external disk, and is available for internet video as well.

I was at Target today and was about to pickup a pre-paid XBOX live card for $50, when I thought for $70 I can stream my media off my computer for life.

Anyone own this model, or something similar, good results? Youtube videos show 1080i kicking butt.

09-26-2010, 5:09 PM
If you want a box wait a few months...lots of interesting stuff will be available shortly.

09-26-2010, 5:44 PM
Check out http://tversity.com/
pc to xbox360 to tv
They require you buy the Pro version if you want to stream HD but there is a way around that.

09-26-2010, 6:27 PM
We use the WDTV Live quite a bit as media players for tradeshow and corporate display kiosks - they work great, and are quite reliable, either playing from fast USB sticks, or streaming media from a server. A decent cheap option....
Other things to look into are Boxee, and the Popcorn Hour players, if you want a dedicated media streamer, but not a full-on home theater PC or PS3/XBox 360.

09-26-2010, 6:58 PM
Boxee is a great option. You can install it as a client on an existing computer of get the dedicated box which should be out in a few months. I run boxee on a Mac mini that streams all my media from my server. It will play just about any video format you throw at it. For example, I maintain ISOs of my DVDs on my server and play them from there. Good, easy solution all around.

09-27-2010, 3:58 PM
went to target they have a blue ray player streams netflix+ others for $129

09-28-2010, 2:12 PM
ROKU HD.. Waaay better than the western dig, scope em out they will play EVERYTHING the 1080p model has wifi and a hdd and hdmi and the specs go forever

09-28-2010, 3:05 PM
i got a popcorn hour, damn thing r0ks

09-28-2010, 7:57 PM
Get a Google TV box, much better choice. You can already stream media off your computer to your 360.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/how_to_stream_any_video_your_xbox_360_playstation_ 3_and_nintendo_wii

09-28-2010, 9:30 PM
I have 2 WDTV Live and they are awesome! One connected to a 1TB drive and flash drives to the home theater and the other in the master bedroom. The theater WDTV Live is connected to a wireless bridge with all my other theater stuff while the master bedroom unit has a wireless adapter to see the other. They can both share movies (avi & mkv), music (mp3 & pandora) and pics from one another. Best thing for me and family since going from 2 Sony 400 disk DVD jukeboxes! :)

Wondering Nomad
09-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I've had the WD TV Live for months and I love it. I have tons of tv shows and movies ripped to a 500GB Toshiba pocket drive and they go with me everywhere. it's super easy to use and plays most files. I haven't used it to stream from the web very much but what I have done seems to work without issue.

There are other options out there but for the size and price, I'm completely happy.