PDA

View Full Version : Nephew looking for lower....

DK9mm
09-25-2010, 9:58 PM
My nephew is looking to get an AR15 and he wants to start with the lower. Where in the Bay Area would you recommend he goes to get a cheap lower? Most stores dont avertise their pricing over the phone ( I understand ) so I really dont want to waste hours of driving shopping.

Any info would be apprecieted.

Thanks.

Alecks
09-26-2010, 1:29 AM
Where exactly in the bay area? He can always find one he likes online and transfer at an FFL. If he is into comics Spike's just release a new "Punisher" logo lower, and there's always the Calguns lower if he wants something to do with CA. For local there's Valkyrie Arms in Milpitas, they have a nice shop lower.

SJgunguy24
09-26-2010, 1:38 AM
My nephew is looking to get an AR15 and he wants to start with the lower. Where in the Bay Area would you recommend he goes to get a cheap lower? Most stores dont avertise their pricing over the phone ( I understand ) so I really dont want to waste hours of driving shopping.

Thanks.

Well then you won't find out what they cost. Generally the stripped lowers are 100-300$. Unless they are billet or forged, they are all pretty much the same. The finish, roll mark, and clean up machine work is the only real difference.
The shops won't give prices over the phone because you could be the competition trying to undercut them.
If your nephew is under 21 he will not be able to buy a stripped lower, complete rifles only.

DK9mm
09-26-2010, 10:48 AM
To answer the above questions:

- Lives in San Jose, willing to travel an hour
- He is over 21

Looking for a place that you guys know of that has a $100 lower for him to get started. He is looking to budget his $.

If you know of a place, please post.

Thanks.

DK9mm
09-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Well then you won't find out what they cost. Generally the stripped lowers are 100-300$. Unless they are billet or forged, they are all pretty much the same. The finish, roll mark, and clean up machine work is the only real difference.
The shops won't give prices over the phone because you could be the competition trying to undercut them.
If your nephew is under 21 he will not be able to buy a stripped lower, complete rifles only.

SJgunguy24, why do you always respond like this? I was simply asking a question as there are far more people on this forum who may have helpful information. If you have info that can HELP, great. If not, then why the wise cracks...... Not trying to be disrespectful by all means just want to say that this is not necessary IMHO. :)

IsaacGlass
09-26-2010, 11:35 AM
For local shops with selections within 50 miles radius. They arent necessary the cheapest. I got my Spike lower from RCGE in Sacramento for $89.99

http://www.bayareagunvault.com/
http://irvingtonarms.com/index.html
http://www.city-arms.com/index.html

DK9mm
09-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Thanks IsaacGlass. :)

Cyc Wid It
09-26-2010, 12:57 PM
I haven't seen any below $100 OTD in the bay area.

ParallaxTactical.com
09-27-2010, 4:01 AM
Talk to dachan. He will set you up!

dfletcher
09-27-2010, 8:54 AM

Thanks.

River City Gun Exchange in Sacramento (80 to 99 South then Fruitridge exit) has about 3 brands for $89.00 each and some others for $99.00 each. I bought one yesterday for the heck of it, will probably build a rimfire M4 type. They have others in the "above $125.00" range too. I guess tolls and gas add bucks, you might want to extend the trip a few miles & visit Sportmens Warehouse in Rocklin, Just Guns on Watt/Auburn and Guns, Fishing & Stuff in Vacaville.

Brownells and Midway sell lower parts kits and all the other stuff he'll need such as an upper. If he's going to drop in those parts and go basic that's fine. If he's going to upgrade items such as trigger, safety, grip I've found Midway is a little easier for ordering the springs, pins & detents since they list each item separately. With Brownells you need to do a little more searching or buy their "small parts kits".

Oh - and buy extra detent pins ...... :)

Wicked K5
09-27-2010, 9:21 AM
I haven't seen any below $100 OTD in the bay area.

Ditto. When I was shopping for a lower in April, I couldn't find anything less than $125 plus fees in the San Jose area. Luckily I found a new one in the for sale section for $100 and did the PPT at Bay Area Gun Vault. Like others have said, the Sac area may be a little cheaper, but how much is your nephew's time/gas worth? That's why I waited and scoured the for sale section until I came up on a decent deal.