PDA

View Full Version : Yugo SKS @ Big5 ~ Good Deal?

insin
09-25-2010, 7:04 PM
Hello all,
I was looking at what looked like a brand new Yugo SKS at my local Big5. It had a bayonet lug w/ bayonet and a muzzle break. The price was $499 which seemed outrageous.
Is the muzzle break removable?
Is this a good buy, considering it was in immaculate condition?

Thank you

Bigtwin
09-25-2010, 7:08 PM
Not sure 100%.
Seems a bit steep to me. I have seen very good condition SKS's at gun shows for about 300-350! No I don't thing the brake is removable!

salazar44
09-25-2010, 7:27 PM
the prices on SKS's have gone up. Dont expect them to be at what they once were. but is 499 steep? I think its a bit steep.

johnthomas
09-25-2010, 7:28 PM
The brake is not removable. $499.00 is not a bad price for a brand new Yugo. You can buy one on line instead. I just looked on line, 400 to 495. Used for 260.00. Shipping, ffl fee and DROS. About 3 weeks to finish the deal. Your ffl will also charge tax. If I were in the market, I would go to big 5. They have a new Savage 223 bolt action with mag and scope for 450.00.

postalpredator
09-25-2010, 7:28 PM
i cant remove mine it is staked and welded and i think the yugos are good guns but not sure if they are worth $500. build an ak and buy 1000 rnds of ammo for $550 no dros or tax

Milsurps
09-25-2010, 7:37 PM
Big 5 had those for $389 a couple of months ago. They were beautiful 59/66A1s unissued. Wait for another sale. ;)

stphnman20
09-25-2010, 7:42 PM
$499? eekk.. I remember them being around $200 something.. But that was years ago I guess. Yea I think it's a little to pricey.

BigBoyPinoy
09-25-2010, 7:45 PM
For that you can buy a Russian, or Chinese SKS on the forum. I had my /26\ Paratrooper on sale for $450 on here.

dmax11
09-25-2010, 8:49 PM
Big 5 had those for $389 a couple of months ago. They were beautiful 59/66A1s unissued. Wait for another sale. ;)

yeah i got mine for 399 on sale about a month ago. they are mostly unissued ones in incredible condition once you get all the cosmoline off. if you want to take your time though you can find a Russian or Norinco SKS for the same or little less on GB. you got to be careful with the Norinco's though because some of them are on the AW list in CA (the ones that were made to accept AK mags are) also anyone on GB with a detachable mag that is NOT a Yugo is also on named on the AW list. its easy to fix if the person selling it still has the fixed magazine and then they are ok in CA.

59/66 Yugo's if bought out of state are illegal in CA due to the Grenade Launcher on the muzzle, the ones big 5 sells are modified by CAI and have a MB TACK WELDED ON this is important to note in the event you want to remove the MB to recrown the muzzle or something, i've been told by a member on this forum that you can't reallly get it off without cutting down the barrel and i've heard that unless you get lucky the 59/66's often have poor crowns on their muzzle and this results in something like 18 MOA accuracy, one guy on an SKS board that was trying to make his more accurate tried all kinds of things first like bedding the action and doing a trigger job on it with only small gains in accuracy so he took his GL off looked at the muzzle saw how bad it was and recrowned it and now hes getting 4 MOA so it was the problem. from what i see about how mine shoots, its not 18 MOA but its no where near 4 either, i'd say somewhere in between and looking down at my muzzle through the muzzle brake it does not appear that there is any angle on the muzzle, it looks like they just faced them flat and threw on the GL spigot without even crowning it. another possible issue is that CAI stamps their SN the legal SN of the rifle on the left side of the receiver right where some common good drill and tap scope mounts will need holes drilled into the receiver. I found a different mount that will work better in the long run anyways that will avoid doing this however. its a Russian made mount more or less made for SVD/PSL type rifles, the good thing about using their mount though is that its removable with the flip of a lever and will hold zero even if removed and they decent scopes that mount to it that have the 400m siminov reticule that is BDC'd for the 7.62x39 round and also has a built in 100-400 meter range finder on it as well. I plan on getting this mount and one of these scopes once i save up the cash

Mac
09-25-2010, 8:52 PM
Maybe it is time to sell My M59.:D Did you open the bolt carrier and look at the rails in the receiver? No wear? Strong rifling?
Run a Bore Gauge on it? If those check out then you have to decide if it is worth it to you? Not us.

Just read the above about CAI. Damn that is a shame.
Factor in re-crowning I guess. Me - I would pass.

dmax11
09-25-2010, 9:01 PM
Maybe it is time to sell My M59.:D Did you open the bolt carrier and look at the rails in the receiver? No wear? Strong rifling?
Run a Bore Gauge on it? If those check out then you have to decide if it is worth it to you? Not us.

check check and check on mine except the bore gauge, i don't have one but yeah it was pristine, no wear on my rails when it was new, it started showing wear on them after just 40 rounds so that is proof enough for me that mine was unissued. the other 3 Yugo's my big 5 had were in the same condition when i bought mine as well

here is a shot of the inside of my receiver when i first got it after i removed the cosmoline

http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp33/Frito_023/IMG_20100904_125331.jpg

Mac
09-25-2010, 9:12 PM
^^Nice ^^

Now he at least has a reference point

awall919
09-25-2010, 9:21 PM
Id recommend trying to find a CA legal one through an arizona or out of state gun shop and have it sent to a gun shop in your area. i found a yugo 59/66 for 169.99 a year ago and have seen them now and then.
Than id try looking at gun stores in your area. 500.00 just seems a bit high to me, but times are a changin. if your set on a SKS id buy one from Big 5 as a last resort.
Always chek the bore and condition as well as the rest of the firearm before making any purchase, especially from Big 5's used guns. Iv seen them on craigslist as well c&r eligible.

FS00008
09-25-2010, 9:28 PM
You can take the MB off if you take the grenade launcher off with it. :-)

dmax11
09-25-2010, 9:33 PM
Id recommend trying to find a CA legal one through an arizona or out of state gun shop and have it sent to a gun shop in your area. i found a yugo 59/66 for 169.99 a year ago and have seen them now and then.
Than id try looking at gun stores in your area. 500.00 just seems a bit high to me, but times are a changin. if your set on a SKS id buy one from Big 5 as a last resort.
Always chek the bore and condition as well as the rest of the firearm before making any purchase, especially from Big 5's used guns. Iv seen them on craigslist as well c&r eligible.

i looked around and i could never find anyone selling an unissued Yugo for less than 400, even at the recent gun show that was at the cow palace there was one yugo there and the guy tried to tell me it was unissued, i kindly informed him that i had an unissued yugo and i could tell that his yugo was although in very good condition not unissued, it had wear on the bolt carrier rails and overall just looked used. he did not argue with my assessment. he also had a Tula with a good side mount scope mount w/ rings that had a hair pin trigger as well. it had a good bore and was probably a great shooter but he wanted a whopping 750 dollars for it. pass.

not all CAI imported 59/66's are unissued. CAI has 3 grade levels listed for them good, very good and excellent. mine was graded excellent and IIRC someone with a C&R FFL and access to CAI's price list online told me that they are selling them for i think it was 320-340 or so dollars maybe a little bit more. as its not a C&R by cali rules you cannot get one from them shipped here direct but out of state 03 FFL's can and that would be the best deal i see someone getting on a CAI Excellent condition rated Yugo and even then its unclear if that means its guaranteed to be unissued quality but it at least has a good chance judging by how many there are out there for sale recently.

luckystrike
09-25-2010, 9:35 PM
eh id rather spend an extra 150 on a WASR

themailman
09-25-2010, 9:38 PM
Big 5 sells anything for too much.

Lostsheep
10-21-2010, 4:19 PM
Sorry to hijack and revive an old thread but does anyone know if the muzzle breaks on big 5 sks's are made in america? I'm wondering if they count towards 922r compliance.

otteray
10-21-2010, 4:29 PM
I'm pretty sure they are not. I can't look at mine 'cause I sold my 59/66 a year ago and my 59 never had one.

NapaPlinker
10-21-2010, 5:33 PM
Hello all,
I was looking at what looked like a brand new Yugo SKS at my local Big5. It had a bayonet lug w/ bayonet and a muzzle break. The price was $499 which seemed outrageous.
Is the muzzle break removable?
Is this a good buy, considering it was in immaculate condition?

Thank you

They guy i got mine from gave me sale price. Although i do a lot of business there. 399+ dros was about 430 somthin.