PDA

View Full Version : PSL

stanby1
09-25-2010, 4:43 PM
Good evening.

i'm looking at buying a PSL Romanian Rifle. what would be the pros and cons of buying this one vice other versions other then they cost less

please advise

nick
09-25-2010, 4:56 PM
What other versions? BTW, PSL is the cheapest of its class already.

Quiet
09-25-2010, 5:35 PM
It's an elongated AK type rifle chambered in 7.62x54mm.

The PSL was used to fill the DMR role. To engage targets past 7.62x39mm AK range (300m-600m), while the rest of the squad manuevers.

For a longer range AK type rifle, IMO...
Saiga-308 > PSL

stanby1
09-26-2010, 7:48 AM
Good morning,

so being new here, i would like some advise from you guys to what is better a commerical or military version, taking into account that i dont want to go broke, but at the same time want something that works great. the reason i ask this is because when i was over in Aghanistan for 7.5 months the (ANA) Afghanistan National Army had them and they looked duirable

please advise

bridgeport
09-26-2010, 7:57 AM
Stanby, The Romanian version will have a receiver made in an ex-com-bloc country, that actually made this kind of stuff for their military. Thus you are paying for an "original"
iteration of the PSL rifle, made on factory tooling, which would be the closest thing to what you saw in A'stan. As to the rest of the rifles characteristics..... that was not the question you were asking. Hope that helps. -B

650IS350
09-27-2010, 11:39 AM
Once you get the PSL, get a 8x scope from Kalinka. or the 4-10x.

berg
09-27-2010, 11:50 AM
The PSLs we can buy here are not too different from the "military" versions. The main difference would be the lack of "third axis pin" which is used for a safety sear device.

Some receivers are made here in the US and there are two styles of those, curved at the rear of the receiver and regular 90 degree cut. The latter allows the use of regular AK style buttstocks.

The Romanian-built receivers are all curved (some people say "half-moon cut") as far as I know.

There have been issues with the scope rail being crooked or out of spec on some PSLs but this can be fixed.

cannon
09-27-2010, 4:02 PM
PSL's are affordable. The ammo is cheap, 440 rounds for $99.00. And they are fun to shoot. Get one and you won't regret it.

C.W.M.V.
09-27-2010, 9:23 PM
There have been issues with the scope rail being crooked or out of spec on some PSLs but this can be fixed.

Ive had two PSL's now, both had canted scope rails. If you know how to fix it post up!

That being said, my current PSL is my favorite rifle. put a tapco trigger group in it and its a smooth, accurate shooter.

There are lots of pro's and very, very few cons to owning one of these.
Buy one!

650IS350
09-27-2010, 9:35 PM
$89 for 440 bullets, good for plinking or paper punching plus cool looking.

C.W.M.V.
09-27-2010, 9:56 PM
$89 for 440 bullets, good for plinking or paper punching plus cool looking.

Plus killin whatever needs it.

DSA_FAL
09-28-2010, 1:50 AM
The PSL is a great choice for an economical semi-auto 7.62x54r rifle. I bought mine from Peach State Guns (a Calguns advertiser). They were very easy to deal with and I'd recommend them. Here is what they're offering.

Rifle:
http://shop.peachstateguns.com/product.sc?productId=679&categoryId=132

berg is pretty much correct on the differences between the civilian and military PSLs. The only other difference is that the civilian version doesn't come with a bayonet lug for whatever reason.

nick
09-28-2010, 1:55 AM
berg is pretty much correct on the differences between the civilian and military PSLs. The only other difference is that the civilian version doesn't come with a bayonet lug for whatever reason.

One can always get a parts kit which would have the bayonet lug.