PDA

View Full Version : Yugo

dmax11
09-25-2010, 2:31 PM
It's a Yugo SKS, accidently pressed the wrong key before i had the full title entered DOH! :)

anyone else have this issue before? i just got back from the range, 2nd time i've taken it out. it did this the first time as well but i wasn't as sure about it because i started at 50 yards then and then moved to 100 and only shot 20 rounds at each of the distances. this time i started at 100 yards, first 30 or so rounds down range were about 1 to 1-1/2 feet low with my iron sight set to 100 meters. after the barrel started heating up a lot it started shooting straight and more or less dead on for the remaining 30 rounds i shot. anybody else experience this and/or any ideas why this would happen?

i'm currently thinking it could be one of two things, heat or buildup in the barrel is causing it to shoot straighter for what ever reason.

hawk81
09-25-2010, 6:04 PM
It's an SKS, I don't know what to tell you. They are not that accurate and are quite unpredictable.

Mac
09-25-2010, 6:59 PM
What ammo?
Where were your rounds hitting at 50 yards the first day?
What stock?
How fast are you shooting it?

They shoot better with a few fouling shots. but 30 fouling shots is odd/strange. Seen em string vertically when barrel is hot (Norinco)

Maybe you are not used to the sights yet? My M59 shoots where I point it (fist size groups or less).

I would just verify your sights again at 25/50 meters and see if they are on the mark. Get better ammo maybe.

I dunno.

salazar44
09-25-2010, 8:28 PM
It's an SKS, I don't know what to tell you. They are not that accurate and are quite unpredictable.

My SKS is very accurate.

dmax11
09-25-2010, 9:31 PM
What ammo?
Where were your rounds hitting at 50 yards the first day?
What stock?
How fast are you shooting it?

They shoot better with a few fouling shots. but 30 fouling shots is odd/strange. Seen em string vertically when barrel is hot (Norinco)

Maybe you are not used to the sights yet? My M59 shoots where I point it (fist size groups or less).

I would just verify your sights again at 25/50 meters and see if they are on the mark. Get better ammo maybe.

I dunno.

first time i took it out i was using brown bear SP. this time i was using Wolf FMJ.

at 50 yards the first time i shot it, it was on target for all 20 rounds not fist sized groups but most shots were on a 12" shoot n c target. my mosin 91/30 does better. the first time i was not shooting very fast, i could not because the range i was at had a 2 round only restriction on SKS's due to slam fire potential (they probably had someone come in and go full auto once or something)

today i probably did get it too hot, i wasn't shooting real fast or anything range had a 3 second rule between shots and i was taking anywhere from 5-10 or more seconds to settle back in on the target before the next shot, mixed in with some breaks to get up and check the ranges spotting scope to see where i was hitting and it was low of the 12" shoot n c by 12-18", pretty much just a spray of bullets below the shoot n c so i tried to compensate by aiming a little high on the target and this worked and i got the next 9 out of 10 shots on the 12" shoot n c. it was starting to get pretty hot after 40 rounds so i put it away and shot my 91/30 for a bit. after the abuse from the 91/30 i decided to go back to the SKS and discovered i no longer needed to compensate for it shooting low for the next 20 rounds after the firing period ended because all my shots hit right above and right below where i was aiming its about an 8" group with a string of shots horizontally half right above where i was aiming and half right below i was aiming.

I realize that the ironsights esp at 100 yards are the main problem with keeping accuracy, i'm positive a scope and taking more careful shots taking more time will result in much better groups but it just seems strange that it shoots so low when its cold and/or has a clean bore and then gets more accurate once its had some rounds put through it. maybe it just needs to be broken in more? it was an unissued 59/66A1 so its definitely got less than 200 rounds through it still. i figure at most 10 rounds at the factory for test firing when it was built and i've shot 100 though it as of right now.

I would agree with you statement on me needing to get used to the iron sights, i find them to be really sloppy compared to my mosin's sights, the visible gap in the image between the front post and the rear V is so much its got about a post width to the left and right of the sight when you look down it so it makes it kind of difficult to aim the same way perfectly every shot when your having to adjust both directions constantly.

Mac
09-25-2010, 10:37 PM
how is the crown on that? I would try the Silver Bear or the Plain Barnaul both made by JSC machine plant. Maybe some American Ammo for comparison? The Wolf I gave up on a long time ago. It hits the paper all over the place. Not hard to figure out. Beyond that just break it in if unissued.

dmax11
09-25-2010, 10:46 PM
how is the crown on that? I would try the Silver Bear or the Plain Barnaul both made by JSC machine plant. Maybe some American Ammo for comparison? The Wolf I gave up on a long time ago. It hits the paper all over the place. Not hard to figure out. Beyond that just break it in if unissued.

yeah ill have to get some silver bear to try, i've yet to see any local store in my area that has american made 7.62x39 and when i hear about the possibilities of doubles and triples due to the floating firing pin and the soft primer on american ammo makes me want to stay away from it unless i get murray's firing pin that is spring loaded for it and then i guess you can end up with random FTF's with harder primer ammo like Wolf.

the crown is hard to see on mine due to the muzzle brake but it appears that it does not have much if any counter sink, i can clearly see the lands and grooves sharp as can be after its cleaned out, pretty sure if i get this MB chopped off and get it recrowned it will help out on the group sizes, i already knew this but what i was more wondering about right now is what would cause it to start shooting low at first and then work its way up to shooting on target with the iron sights. i guess it might just need some more rounds thrown through it to break in the bore more or something, good thing i bought 500 rounds of wolf for cheap at the gun show to burn through in it :)

Mac
09-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Just meant a box of American to see if it is ammo related. I do not use it either. The Shooting low thing when cold? Pick up a few different brands of ammo online and test them. Anything Barnaul is good in that caliber. As an aside: Was it the BB that was shooting low?

then you changed to wolf and it was hitting?

If you look at http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo028.htm

You will see Brown Bear with a Bullet dia. of .310 for the 7.62x54R
Everything else is .311 for that load.

I am just wondering if they did the same thing for the Brown Bear 7.62x39? should be a .311 dia bullet not .310
A set of calipers would tell on the bullet.
That is all I can think of for your issue. try different ammo.

should be doing this or better at 50. See bottom pic

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/yugosks/index.asp

Good luck

--
Mac

dmax11
09-26-2010, 12:01 AM
i noticed it with both BB and wolf.

as for the group shown in the photo at the end of that article, not even close

i did not keep my target from the first time out but today's i have and the last group i shot of 10 rounds at 100 yards would barely fit into a 9" diameter, they kind of formed two rows horizontally too with a good sized gap in the middle where i was aiming.

i'd take a picture but its too dark for my phone camera to work good right now but ill try to visualize it with = meaning hits and - meaning no hits

so a 9" x 9" box looked like this
========= hits
------------ misses
========= hits

i was aiming at the center of the line that says misses

this is however a separate issue than the shooting low when cold issue, i'm kind of new to shooting rifles so i'm not the most experienced person out there by any means but i know its not 100% me because i can produce better groups with my worn out 91/30 that needs counter boaring and has a lightly pitted bore as well. i suppose i just need to take it easier on it and get my front post adjusted so its zeroed when the rifle is cold but then if it keeps doing this it will end up shooting high after it heats up idk.

Mac
09-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Got it. Most guys here would say "Hey it's an SKS."

on the plus side you were hitting the Target. stringing horizontal when hot. Okay. still hit it. Blast thru the wolf and try some Barnaul.

My AR shoots wolf like all over the place. It is just a step above spit wads. :D IMHO.

I would have a good smith heat that MB with a torch and turn it off, to see what the CAI gun monkees did to the crown.

dmax11
09-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Got it. Most guys here would say "Hey it's an SKS."

on the plus side you were hitting the Target. stringing horizontal when hot. Okay. still hit it. Blast thru the wolf and try some Barnaul.

My AR shoots wolf like all over the place. It is just a step above spit wads. :D IMHO.

haha yeah i know, the groups i'm pretty sure have to do with the muzzle, someone else discovered that they barely if even put a crown on his yugo and mine looks to be the same way, probably one of the reasons why they get a bad rap for accuracy. I really think the iron sights are at least part to blame esp at 100 yards, there is far too much play in the image from side to side on them and i'm pretty sure thats probably why i got rows of hits. the high and low shots were probably a result of a crappy and or no crowning on the muzzle combine with cheap wolf ammo.

what matters though is its a blast to shoot and your shoulder never hates you afterward for shooting it a lot :)

SJgunguy24
09-26-2010, 1:50 AM
Did you clean that rifle before shooting it? Was this all done off hand, benched and holding, or benched from sand bags? I find 90% of the time the operator is the cause of the bad grouping. You may think your rock solid buy it only takes 1/4" of movement and your shot could be a foot off.

dmax11
09-26-2010, 2:47 AM
Did you clean that rifle before shooting it? Was this all done off hand, benched and holding, or benched from sand bags? I find 90% of the time the operator is the cause of the bad grouping. You may think your rock solid buy it only takes 1/4" of movement and your shot could be a foot off.

yeah it was cleaned before shooting both times, both times were shooting from a bench with sandbags, i don't doubt that my skill is probably part of the problem but its not all of it because i can shoot better groups with my mosin nagant that's bore is no where near the same condition as this yugo, the mosin's bore has light pitting and a muzzle that is worn into a slight oval, it doesn't do great either but it does shoot where i aim it reliably regardless if its the first shot or the 30th shot

SJgunguy24
09-26-2010, 8:47 AM
Maybe lose that huge chunk of metal hanging off the muzzle and a recrown are in order. The worst is your rifle will be shorter and lighter, the best is better groups.

dmax11
09-26-2010, 9:16 AM
Maybe lose that huge chunk of metal hanging off the muzzle and a recrown are in order. The worst is your rifle will be shorter and lighter, the best is better groups.

yeah thats the conclusion i am coming to as well, the guy's over on Survivors SKS boards are saying its got to be something putting too much pressure on the BBL once it heats up probably because its expanding at a different rate. you still interested in chopping it down for me SJ? :)

SJgunguy24
09-26-2010, 9:19 AM
Might be able to work something out. Shoot me a PM.