View Full Version : I'm a Noob • East Bay shooting areas?

09-25-2010, 1:26 PM
Hi everyone. Long time lurker, recent Cal resident and just signed up last night. Since I'm not allowed to ask in the SFBay forum yet, I'll try here:

I bought a nice Winchester M97 12 Gauge at a gun show a few weeks back. I've been dying to go out and shoot it but I'm having some problems locating a good location.

The only range I've been to around the area is the Livermore/Pleasanton range, which is nice, but it seems the only shotgun facility it has is trap, and I'm really not looking to do that. I really just want to shoot a box or rounds of to see how it behaves, etc…

Preferably, is there *any* open land near the East Bay (maybe Livermore or Tracy) that I can just drive to and plink around with a paper target as long as I clean up after myself? I found one thread about a road in Davis that has an area that's legal, but it's almost 2 hours away.

If there is no such land close, does anyone know of an outdoor range where I can just use a normal booth and shoot shot for a little while?

09-25-2010, 2:03 PM
Sorry, but I don't have an answer to that. Anywhere I know is about an hour away from Sacramento, on hwy50.

But I noticed you said that there is somewhere in Davis where I can do that. Do you know where that is?

09-25-2010, 2:09 PM
Check out United Sportsmen in Concord at http://www.unitedsportsmen.com/

4700 Evora Rd
Concord, CA 94520-1002
(925) 676-1963

By far the most extensive range in the area and with the most active members in the East Bay.

09-25-2010, 2:35 PM
Your best bet will be Chabot gun club in Castro Valley -

09-25-2010, 3:50 PM
Thank you both for the links to the ranges. I hadn't heard about those 2 before and they loom great.

But no dice on any non-range land legal to shoot in the area?

09-25-2010, 3:54 PM
Not in the area - There's BLM land but again that's several hours out - We're just too close to the metro area -

09-25-2010, 3:54 PM
Thank you both for the links to the ranges. I hadn't heard about those 2 before and they loom great.

But no dice on any non-range land legal to shoot in the area?

Panoche would probably be your best bet for shooting on your own on BLM land.

09-25-2010, 3:56 PM
USI allows shotguns on the pistol range, shooting slugs only.
I'm not positive, but I think Chabot has a pattern board for shot.

09-25-2010, 6:22 PM
Posted this in another thread... Think it might pertain, here:

USI in Concord has a patterning board. Restricted to use by members only. (Members of one of the 5 clubs). AND your gun must be LEGAL in the PRK.

No steel shot or slugs are allowed. Here's where it gets funky... I've heard a couple of conflicting things regarding shot size.

I've been told the following:
A) Any size shot is fine
B) Birdshot only (no buckshot)

I'm pretty sure that the no steel shot & no slugs rule is correct. I'll keep digging until I find the truth.

The board is covered with a piece of plywood. This must be unlocked and removed. The patterning board surface itself, is covered in grease. There is a roller there that is used to "smooth out" the grease. The shooter fires at the board and the shot pattern can be seen as a bunch of little holes, in the grease.

Slugs are allowed on the pistol line. No membership required.

Chabot is purported to have a patterning board, as well... but I've never shot there, so I dunno the details. I have heard from other Calgunners that it's just one position and it can be tough to get any time in that spot.

09-25-2010, 9:57 PM
Chabot does have a patterning "chunk of wire mesh", but it is only one position. I went a few Sundays ago, and it wasn't all that busy.