PDA

View Full Version : Adding Flash Suppressor to AW

Mr. Casull
09-25-2010, 1:14 PM
I have a post ban Colt AR15 Match Target that was registered as an AW just prior to the law going into effect. The gun did not come with a bayonet lug or flash hider. The question is, can I add a flash hider to it?

chuck762
09-25-2010, 1:23 PM
Yes, you can add a flash hider to it.

Cokebottle
09-25-2010, 1:25 PM
Legally, yes, but being a post-ban configuration, it probably lacks the threaded barrel needed for installation of the FH.

You can have that barrel threaded (needs to be removed from the upper), or buy a replacement barrel.

jtmkinsd
09-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Ya...take your upper (or just the barrel if you want to take it apart and reassemble) to a gunsmith...not a big deal to turn and thread your barrel. Should only cost you about $60-$75 :D

Mr. Casull
09-26-2010, 5:19 PM
Okay, that's good that I can add the flash supp. I have a Sure Fire on back order. Now I need a reputable gunsmith in Orange County that I can just take the gun to and have him thread and pin it. Any suggestions?

Sniper3142
09-26-2010, 7:13 PM
Since it is a Registered Assault Weapon, you can legally add any or all AW features to it (Collapsable Stock, Forward Vertical Grip, Flash Hider).

Enjoy

professorhard
09-26-2010, 7:17 PM
Okay, that's good that I can add the flash supp. I have a Sure Fire on back order. Now I need a reputable gunsmith in Orange County that I can just take the gun to and have him thread and pin it. Any suggestions?

why would you do that? Are you cutting the barrel length down?

slappomatt
09-26-2010, 7:57 PM
yeah you don't have to pin it unless they shorten the barrel below 16"

brucejacquez
09-27-2010, 5:46 AM
Try Bolsa Gunsmithing, I believe they're in Westmeister.

Mr. Casull
09-27-2010, 7:22 AM
why would you do that? Are you cutting the barrel length down?

No, I'm not cutting the barrel down. So what your saying is that if the barrell is over 16" and you add the suppr. then you don't need to pin it! Correct?

Danielp59
09-27-2010, 7:28 AM
Correct

Mr. Casull
09-27-2010, 7:28 AM
Try Bolsa Gunsmithing, I believe they're in Westmeister.

Just talked to Bolsa and they do not work on AR's.

ocspeedracer
09-27-2010, 7:29 AM
It's a registered AW, with a barrell length over 16" so correct you're all good! Lucky!

bwiese
09-27-2010, 9:15 AM
I have a post ban Colt AR15 Match Target that was registered as an AW just prior to the law going into effect. The gun did not come with a bayonet lug or flash hider. The question is, can I add a flash hider to it?

Yes. Once a firearm is a legal, registered AW there are no additional tiers or levels of "AW-ness". You cannot trigger any further additional level of "AW-ness" by adding the flash hider.

You could also add a telestock as well, if you desired.

bwiese
09-27-2010, 9:20 AM
No, I'm not cutting the barrel down. So what your saying is that if the barrell is over 16" and you add the suppr. then you don't need to pin it! Correct?

If the barrel is 16" or longer, the muzzle device does not have to be 'permanently attached' (pinned/welded, hi-temp silver solder per ATF standards, etc.)

The permanence of attachement of muzzle devices has really only two legal justifications:

- Fed AW ban controlled threaded barrels as an 'evil feature'.
This ban has expired/sunset and threaded barrels are not
controlled in CA AW law for rifles. (They are an evil feature
for semiauto pistols in CA however.)
a barrel shorter than 16" may need to be brought up to 16 or
more inches, and to be considered as a 16" bbl the extension
must be permanently affixed.

For the latter, you should not possess (or attempt to) a shorter-than-16" barrel or upper if you already own the matching rifle [and do not have a legit corresponding pistol] and even if you are going to modify it per above - you want to stay out of 'constructive possession of an SBR" territory. Have the mfgr/gunsmith do the work before you take possession of the upper.

mcc2u
09-27-2010, 1:04 PM
Try this place to have your barrel threaded.

http://ar15barrels.com/

Mr. Casull
09-28-2010, 7:23 AM
Try this place to have your barrel threaded.

http://ar15barrels.com/

Thanks, I looked at their website and he does everything that I will need. Oops, I didn't realize that they were located nearly on the other side of the planet in West LA!!. Aren't there any smiths in Orange County that work an AR's??