PDA

View Full Version : New to Calguns & soon to be OC, CA resident

ClarkKent
09-24-2010, 8:58 PM
Hi all, just found this forum and decided to join since we will be moving to CA from CT early next year (Feb-Mar). My wife decided she wanted a change and wants to be closer to her sister in San Clemente, and has been talking about living in CA for several years now, so we'll be loading up our 3 boys (14, 11, & 2) and heading west from the other communist state of CT. I was hoping maybe you guys could give us some advice before we make the big move (besides "don't do it"! lol). We will be living in the San Clemente area (not sure exactly where yet) and know nothing about living in CA. I hear things on other gun/shooting forums about how F'ED up CA is, but we figured we'd give it a shot and see how it goes. Can't exactly say living in the CT/NY area is any great shakes, so I seriously doubt we'll miss CT. We'll see how it goes.

So hopefully some of you can save us a lot of headache with some friendly info before we head west, both gun related and otherwise. I currently own a Glock 20 and a Mossberg Mariner 590 shotgun, and am looking to pick up a Tikka T3 fairly soon. I guess my biggest concern is should I buy everything I want to own while we're here in CT or wait until we get to CA. Not really sure if it's easier to bring guns in or pick them up once there. I know a bit about the AR15 thing, but that won't affect me in the near future.

Anyhow, any advice you guys can shoot my way will be much appreciated, and thanks in advance for the help!

SoCal Bob
09-24-2010, 10:04 PM
Don't do it,:eek: oh wait, you said not to say that.:rolleyes: In that case welcome to Calguns, hopefully the laws will be a tad friendlier by the time you get here.

Chk Chk Boom
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
In CA, you can only purchase handguns on the approved roster. However, if you buy them out of state (when you're NOT a CA resident yet), you can then just submit the voluntary reg. form to register any non-rostered handguns so you can own the cool stuff.

As far as long guns, you should be fine with all of the ones you mentioned. Stay away from black rifles until you get here though, because otherwise you need to deal with the "list" and only buy OLL (Off list lowers).

Random but anytime someone says San Clemente (and notably since you have a teenager and another soon to be), I feel obligated to point out there is AMAZING surf there and also excellent mountain biking (San Clemente SingleTracks, or SCST aka the Weedpatch is loved by many, many locals, myself included). Being a young guy who grew up in SoCal, all I can say is your boys are going to have a blast regardless of what they do!

Good luck, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or really anyone here (We're all pretty nice).

- Jeff

bsg
09-24-2010, 10:31 PM
welcome to the forum.

ClarkKent
10-01-2010, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I've been a tad busy lately and haven't had time to do much on the web, so this is the first chance I've had to say thanks for the info/advice.

It's a bit disheartening to see guys who have lived in CA most (or all) of their lives saying that they are ready to pack up and leave and here we are looking to head west. However, with exception of Vermont, the north east is pretty communist so we won't be missing much when we do make it to the left coast.

By the way, does anybody who lives in San Clemente know if that town is a "Shall issue" town or not? Just wondering what we are in for in San Clemente since I've read that CA ranges from "shall issue" to "No chance in hell" in regards to CCW permits.

Thanks again guys, hope to see a few of you at some shooting matches when we get there...that is if they do have those things there anymore :(

stphnman20
10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Hello and Welcome!

JRJCP
10-01-2010, 12:27 AM
Welcome to calguns.

DannyInSoCal
10-01-2010, 7:33 AM
Thanks for the replies guys! I've been a tad busy lately and haven't had time to do much on the web, so this is the first chance I've had to say thanks for the info/advice.

It's a bit disheartening to see guys who have lived in CA most (or all) of their lives saying that they are ready to pack up and leave and here we are looking to head west. However, with exception of Vermont, the north east is pretty communist so we won't be missing much when we do make it to the left coast.

By the way, does anybody who lives in San Clemente know if that town is a "Shall issue" town or not? Just wondering what we are in for in San Clemente since I've read that CA ranges from "shall issue" to "No chance in hell" in regards to CCW permits.

Thanks again guys, hope to see a few of you at some shooting matches when we get there...that is if they do have those things there anymore :(

San Clemente is a great town. I instructed with Paul Vunak there and always enjoyed myself.

Here is a link that might answer your CCW questions: http://www.californiaconcealedcarry.com/gettingstarted/ccwarticle.html

Being from "back East/Chicago" myself - Kalifornistan is not that big of a deal. More or less the same liberal BS. We do have unloaded open carry (with restrictions of course) and while there are some kool machines not allowed - All in all somehow, someway, there are loopholes.

Now - Its your own personal opinion if you are willing to chance using a loophole and then convincing a well meaning but less-than-knowing LEO/Judge you are operating within the law. (IE - Evil-featureless ARs with hi-cap mags)

One other tip. Sell your stuff. I moved from Chicago to Florida and brought everything with me. Cost a fortune and the wife ended up wanting new crap anyway.

When we moved to CA - We only kept our personal/family items, clothes, cars, and dogs. We sold everything else and had a nice little nestegg to move with. Let us know when you hit town so you can buy the first 7 or 8 rounds of beers. And if you are wearing a Patriots jersey - I'll shoot you myself...

Thanx, DISC

socalsteve
10-01-2010, 12:27 PM
http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Here is the link or the California approved gun list.

Older guns that are not in production are usually not on the list.

Used handguns usually sell for more in California because you can only buy them used from another Californian in-state - not shipped in from out of state.

So if you've always wanted a certain S&W revolver or Colt or Keltec buy it before you move.

ocspeedracer
10-01-2010, 12:34 PM

San Clemente resides in the county of Orange, Sandra Hutchens is the sherriff who would issue CCW's, she's a shall issue if you have a really, very good, almost to late for it, reason.
Myself, well Wyoming or Colorado sound nice.
Welcome to the forum.