PDA

View Full Version : 762x39 FMJ vs JHP, Real difference in Yugo AK?

insin
09-24-2010, 6:49 PM
Hello all,
I know this has been hashed out before, but I am looking into purchasing some Wolf AK ammo. I have never shot JHP rounds through my Yugo, but I heard that it was somewhat more accurate then FMJ. I also heard that in some rifles you may have failure to feed. What are you thoughts?

Another question is should I go with Yugo rounds or golden Tiger ammo.

Thank you for your replies.

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 7:17 PM
What's your expectation of accuracy from an AK, 1MOA, 1.5MOA or 2MOA? I've shot both Wolf HP and FMJ no difference in accuracy. However, I will say Brown Bear ammo is much cleaner than Wolf.

pyromensch
09-24-2010, 7:22 PM
in my '85 chicom '47, i have had problems with feeding, w hp's don't know about the wolf ammo. if you are looking for terminal damage difference from fmj to hp, i don't think it would matter much, coming from a 7.69X39

insin
09-25-2010, 2:49 PM
What do you guys think about Yugo M67 7.62x39? I shot wolf before and I figure anything must be an improvement. I also know Yugo ammo is corrosive, but its cheap.

insin
09-25-2010, 2:56 PM
So accuracy wise 7.62x39:
FMJ = JHP ???

MrPlink
09-25-2010, 7:47 PM
Hypotheticaly FMJ is better, but as mentioned, in this round it is minor between the two.
Yugo is awsome though, my fav.

insin
09-26-2010, 8:30 AM
Yugo is awesome though, my fav.

When you say that Yugo awesome, is that due to price (because it is the cheapest) or because they are more consistent on paper (being brass doesn't hurt either?

Basically I am looking for the most accurate/consistent target shooting rounds, and at this point it sounds like Yugo is the way to go. Being corrosive I just have to stay on top of the cleaning.

scobun
09-26-2010, 8:37 AM
When you're putting Wolf ammo through an AK, accuracy isn't something to worry about. Between poor sights, a rifle designed for reliability over accuracy, and mass produced bargain barrel ammo, you'll never see a difference in FMJ vs. HP. Both are going to be just inside minute of pie plate at 100 yards.

sd1023x
09-26-2010, 12:23 PM
Hypotheticaly FMJ is better, but as mentioned, in this round it is minor between the two.
Yugo is awsome though, my fav.

Really? Do you have a source? Not trying to be a troll, but I've always heard HP's are a little more accurate than FMJ. Something about shifting weight to the back of the bullet.

MrPlink
09-26-2010, 1:03 PM
^ personal experience with thousands and thousands of rounds fired.
I've never documented anything, so maybe I'm out to lunch on this, but hey, its an AK. Its natural minute of bad guy accuracy doesent warrant the scientific method for ammo comparison IMO.

As for Yugo ammo being my fav, I've had the most consistent performance from it. Not night and day, but better for sure.