PDA

View Full Version : Which AK74's to Stay Away From

BroncoBob
09-24-2010, 6:49 PM
Giving some thought to a AK74, just wondering which ones to stay away from?

Quiet
09-25-2010, 7:53 AM
The ones made by Century International Arms.

They make two kinds.
Bulgarian AK74 kit with US reciever and US barrel.
Polish Tantel kit with US reciever and US barrel.

pyro3k2
09-25-2010, 8:24 AM
The ones made by Century International Arms.

They make two kinds.
Bulgarian AK74 kit with US reciever and US barrel.
Polish Tantel kit with US reciever and US barrel.

I have no experience with the ak-74 could you please go into further detail as to why. I am very interested in this topic as well.

BroncoBob
09-25-2010, 8:27 AM
I have no experience with the ak-74 could you please go into further detail as to why. I am very interested in this topic as well.

Canted front sights and mis aligned magazine lock up to start

Quiet
09-25-2010, 8:33 AM
Canted front sights and mis aligned magazine lock up to start
Also, add non-chrome lined mil-spec barrel.

SJgunguy24
09-25-2010, 8:40 AM
Lancasters, the fail couldn't be any clearer.

http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=64&t=130971

Neil McCauley
09-25-2010, 8:54 AM
Hmm, I wouldn't stay away from any AK lol. At this point after all these biuld parties I'm sure I could fix it.

shooterdave
09-25-2010, 10:45 AM
lancaster and century.

MrPlink
09-25-2010, 10:54 AM
Kyhber pass :b

ZX-10R
09-25-2010, 10:57 AM
Nothing wrong with Century. 3 rifles from them and no problem...I guarantee (I will give you 20 rounds if you boutique AK beats my Century) - Meet me in San Luis Obispo - PM if I am available (going this coming weekend)) my two current Century will out shoot any $$$ AK anyone has.

My Century PSL (Romanian - Not American receiver build but Cugir, RO build) and my WASR versus your non Century AK except builds.

If anything you get to meet another shouter and CGN member.:)

MrPlink
09-25-2010, 11:47 AM
What I think ZX is getting at, and I agree, is that assuming your ak has no functional defects, they all perform the same.

Quiet
09-25-2010, 12:11 PM
Nothing wrong with Century. 3 rifles from them and no problem...I guarantee (I will give you 20 rounds if you boutique AK beats my Century) - Meet me in San Luis Obispo - PM if I am available (going this coming weekend)) my two current Century will out shoot any $$$ AK anyone has.

My Century PSL (Romanian - Not American receiver build but Cugir, RO build) and my WASR versus your non Century AK except builds.

If anything you get to meet another shouter and CGN member.:)

The WASR are made in Romania and modified by Century. Same as the PSL.
Those are good beaters.

The Century WASR2 is a decent 5.45x39mm AK74 type rifle.

The ones you need to stay away from are the ones actually made by Century, not imported and modified.

pyro3k2
09-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Those are good beaters.

The ones you need to stay away from are the ones actually made by Century, not imported and modified.

Ok that clears a lot of things up.

SJgunguy24
09-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Those are good beaters.

Just about every CAI M70 under folder I've seen has been pretty nice. The only exception would be the finish, they have been parked and not blued like Yugo's
should be.
Century does a decent job, like anything though, you need to look it over and take a well informed person if you aren't familier with that platform.

BroncoBob
09-25-2010, 5:40 PM
Anyone get one of the Wasr-2 from DD's Ranch?

C.W.M.V.
09-25-2010, 10:26 PM
Anyone get one of the Wasr-2 from DD's Ranch?

I just picked up a WASR 10/63 from DD's. If it shoots half as well as it looks Im going to love this thing! No cant anywhere, Mags fit tight (except for 1 bulgarian mag, all my other bulgy mags are tight) and just feels good. Looks really good with the stock set I picked up from cernterfire systems.

Hey pyro-I think I may be buying a lower soon! I know, I know...

Solidsnake87
09-26-2010, 11:55 AM
Meh, I have no problem with anything century as long as I'm able to inspect it first. Like anything in this world, actually seeing the item you are buying can make quite a difference. Sure, some of Century's crap is garbage but the majority is not. Inspection is the difference.....same goes for any other gun.

offrdmania
09-26-2010, 12:18 PM
Pick up a used SAR-2. The SAR series of rifles from Century were probably some of the best to come out of there. SAR-1 is the 7.62x39 model, the SAR-2 is the 5.45x39 and the SAR-3 is the .223 model. Great rifles for the price you pay, usually right around $500. BTW, the WASR22 is built on the SAR-2 receiver.

pyro3k2
09-26-2010, 3:55 PM
I just picked up a WASR 10/63 from DD's. If it shoots half as well as it looks Im going to love this thing! No cant anywhere, Mags fit tight (except for 1 bulgarian mag, all my other bulgy mags are tight) and just feels good. Looks really good with the stock set I picked up from cernterfire systems.

Hey pyro-I think I may be buying a lower soon! I know, I know...

What a lower??????????? I thought after your tour's to the sand box you would never touch on of those POS again. But on a side note I just picked up a WASR 10/63, my pick up date is next week, we are going to have to go shooting some time. I have 3 spam cans and an itchy trigger finger :)

I used to have 3 ar's im down to just one now. I sold all of my uppers and going for the old school A2-A3, you know the ones that worked :rolleyes:

C.W.M.V.
09-26-2010, 3:58 PM
What a lower??????????? I thought after your tour's to the sand box you would never touch on of those POS again. But on a side note I just picked up a WASR 10/63, my pick up date is next week, we are going to have to go shooting some time. I have 3 spam cans and an itchy trigger finger :)

I used to have 3 ar's im down to just one now. I sold all of my uppers and going for the old school A2-A3, you know the ones that worked :rolleyes:

PM sent...
Sorry for the thread hijack!

Juice5610
09-26-2010, 4:03 PM
Check out the Arsenal ak( arsenal is said to be one of the best ak47 manufacturers in the world) I have for sale in the firearms section of the marketplace(its the one in my avatar)

C.W.M.V.
09-26-2010, 4:06 PM
Check out the Arsenal ak( arsenal is said to be one of the best ak47 manufacturers in the world) I have for sale in the firearms section of the marketplace(its the one in my avatar)

If you take it from the man himself, Mikhail Kalashnikov, peace be upon him, said the bulgarians were building the best AK clones. If it aint made at Izmash, its a clone.
I guess that's why arsenal uses Bulgarian kits to do their Saiga conversions.

billped
09-26-2010, 4:23 PM

47, 74, same thing, right? ;)

Juice5610
09-26-2010, 7:02 PM
If you take it from the man himself, Mikhail Kalashnikov, peace be upon him, said the bulgarians were building the best AK clones. If it aint made at Izmash, its a clone.
I guess that's why arsenal uses Bulgarian kits to do their Saiga conversions.
Yup and my reciver was made at and stamped at Izmash as are all sgl's
47, 74, same thing, right? ;)
47 with a 74 break which happens to work quite well ;)

pyro3k2
09-26-2010, 7:06 PM
If you take it from the man himself, Mikhail Kalashnikov, peace be upon him.

that made me Lol Irl.