View Full Version : Is it necessary to use a crush/peel washer when installing a muzzle device on an AR?

09-24-2010, 5:52 PM
I just finished puting together an AR pistol and I'm curious to try out 3 different muzzle devices (stock birdcage, Noveske KX3, and Troy Claymore). I'll admit, I'm being a little frugal by not wanting to run through 3 crush washers, but in my defense I also don't have access to a vise and wrench at the range either to properly install them. I want to just fire a few rounds, note the sound, flash and recoil, wait for cool down, remove break/fh, than install the next muzzle device. Of course the preferred muzzle device will be installed properly at home with a vise and wrench.

09-24-2010, 7:23 PM
Only if you are trying to clock it in a particular position .

09-24-2010, 7:53 PM
All muzzle devices FH or MB, should be tighten to at least 20-30lbs torque and properly index with a peel or crush washer in place.

09-24-2010, 9:09 PM
The stock birdcage will come on the upper, with a crush washer.

Both the other brakes (neither of those are flash suppressors/hiders) come with crush washers.

Once you're done with all three you'll just have to buy one new crush washer to re-index whatever you decide upon.

Out of the three, I would go with the Troy. The stock birdcage will give you lots of concussion which is hard to deal with sometimes out of those pistols. The Noveske is really cool looking, but weighs HALF A POUND. The Troy works on the same principle as the Noveske, but doesn't WEIGH A HALF POUND.