PDA

View Full Version : XM193?

1forall
09-24-2010, 5:30 PM
What's your opinions on this ammo. I picked up about 500 rounds to break-in my Stag 2T build and I'm curious to know CGers thoughts.

NiteQwill
09-24-2010, 6:03 PM
You will be fine. It's good ammo. Any ammo will properly properly break in your rifle. Have fun.

ROTC sniper
09-24-2010, 6:07 PM
I bought 1000 rounds. No problem. Was banging out the gong with 4" groups at 375 yards at Piru.

1forall
09-24-2010, 6:20 PM
Thanks guys!!!

kermit315
09-24-2010, 6:39 PM
I used some to hit the 300m gong with irons at Ojai when I first got my AR. Its good ammo.

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 7:30 PM
Terrible ammo, you should be using XM855 62gr. :Ivan: for free :D

Dave A
09-24-2010, 7:31 PM
I have been a bit curious about this ammo myself. Natchez was selling Federal Lake City XM193 in 1000 round boxes as .223 ammo. Now the latest ad says it is Nato 5.56 and I worry about over pressure in my AR if it really is loaded to NATO specs.

I was going to send them an email and inquire just for peace of mind, but it does seem to shoot just fine.

Mr. Beretta
09-24-2010, 7:31 PM
Great ammo. No worries!

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 7:58 PM
I have been a bit curious about this ammo myself. Natchez was selling Federal Lake City XM193 in 1000 round boxes as .223 ammo. Now the latest ad says it is Nato 5.56 and I worry about over pressure in my AR if it really is loaded to NATO specs.

I was going to send them an email and inquire just for peace of mind, but it does seem to shoot just fine.

They probably got their ads mixed up with AE223

http://www.rmammo.com/images/ae223.jpg

pennys dad
09-24-2010, 8:23 PM
Im sitting on 2k worth as my bad situation ammo

danieldangz
09-24-2010, 9:05 PM
I heard alot of problem regarding this type of ammo due to their QC. Just be careful, and be sure to check for any crack, deform on the bullets before shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/20/colt-ar-15-kaboom/

NiteQwill
09-24-2010, 9:33 PM
I heard alot of problem regarding this type of ammo due to their QC. Just be careful, and be sure to check for any crack, deform on the bullets before shooting.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2009/11/20/colt-ar-15-kaboom/

Ammo inspection should be done regardless of type/brand/caliber.

Mac
09-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I assume you mean the Federal XM193 5.56mm in the Brown box with the LC Headstamp 2 digit year and NATO Cross. (20 cartridges per box). My go to stash. Never had a problem. never saw any defects.

Seen a few dented cases on the 500 round loose packed stuff though. Nothing serious still went bang. XM193PD I think it was.

ericneth63
09-25-2010, 12:34 AM
Bought 1k and have gone thru 700 rds. No problems so far, in fact bought 500 more rounds. You are GTG!!!

OneApart
09-25-2010, 12:41 AM
I recently purchased a case (and promptly burned through it) despite what I had read about QC problems, as well as the civilian supply being "seconds".
'
No problems at all..... through a BCM 14.5", 1:7, MP HP as well as a LMT 16" 1:9.

randy
09-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I've shot 10's of thousands of XM193. For my rifles XM193 is the gold standard of FMJ.

1forall
09-25-2010, 8:24 AM
Thanks..I appreciate the feedback

technique
09-25-2010, 5:02 PM
I'll shoot it, never for any organized shooting event,mostly because sometimes it is specifically asked you not use XM193.

Aside from the popped primers when things heat up a bit, it's alright for my plinking in the desert.
I definitely like collecting the brass and reloading it.

AlliedArmory
09-25-2010, 5:55 PM
I have gone through thousands of this stuff and it always goes boom.

lanwarrior
09-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Is this the same American Eagle XM193 ammo?

I read bad reviews from this website: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=549452

I got a box of these and it does looks very dirty and some of the cartridge wooble when rolled. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, though.

Some of the reviews:

Should be a zero! This is without a doubt the filthiest ammo I have ever opened as "new". The cases are fouled with a black wax-like substance in spots along the entire length of the case. Not wanting to fire them as is, I cleaned 100 rounds with WD-40, and the two paper towels I used were black afterwards, but the brass did clean up. In addition, I have found that about one out of every three or four rounds of this lot, when rolled across a flat surface, show bullet wobble, meaning accuracy will suffer down range. I wouldn't know though, because, on top of all that, I got to fire only 10 rounds of the stuff today, before my brand new Patriot Ordinance Factory POF-415 jammed due to a spent primer falling out of the 9th round and jamming the bolt carrier as the 10th round was fired. Fortunately it was not with a live round in the chamber. Upon a closer look at the first nine spent cartridges, three of the nine had missing primers, two of which wound up on the range bench...the third jammed the rifle. I will not shoot this again.

I purchased 200 of these rounds on 7/31/10 at Little Rock AFB. I am shooting them from a brand new Bushmaster Varminter AR-15. The gun has worked perfectly with all other ammos. This ammo has been absolutely terrible. It was stained with black splotches on the outside and every 4th or 5th round the primer falls out. I didn't realized the primers were falling out until my gun jammed and I started looking at the spent casings on the ground. Now my gun is jammed so bad that I may have to take it to a gunsmith as it will not disassemble with the bolt halfway back jammed very hard. I am going to take this issue up with the manufacturer. It really ruined my day and probably messed up and scratched the aluminum parts of my upper receiver. What a way to mess up a 1400.00 gun. I see other people have had good luck, but my story is true and you can see others who had similar experiences. Be wary. I can't wait to start reloading so I can be accountable for my own ammo.

Cuda440
09-26-2010, 10:22 AM
I shot 300 rounds of american eagle xm193 yesterday, not a single problem. It's all made at the Lake City plant, same as federal. You can clean the cases if you want, I didn't. When I cleaned my rifle, I was suprised at how clean it was after 300 rounds, my rifle had been much dirtier after shooting 240 rounds of American Tactical 62 gr. It seems like good enough ammo for plinking, I was at Lytle creek and it was good enough to hit clays at 200, the 300 yard range was closed. BTW, I got the ammo from ammo bros, $69.99 for 200 rounds.

lanwarrior
09-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the info, Cuda!

$69.99 for 200 rounds? I paid $74.99 for the same 200 rounds at Ammo Bros. Supply and demand, I guess. :)

1forall
09-26-2010, 1:14 PM
@lanwarrior, make sure you take the online coupon with you because they failed to mention it to me when I purchased my ammo the other day. Seeing that I bought a display model firearm and spent good money with them in the past, a discount should have been brought to my attention. I can't wait until Riflegear carries ammo :D.

bomb_on_bus
09-26-2010, 1:34 PM
Good ammo for the money and not as dirty as some russian brands of ammo. Its not great as far as accuracy goes but if you have a decent setup and are a decent shot you can get some good groupings with this ammo.

I have cases of the stuff for plinking and I use the target stuff for when I want to stretch my rifles legs out to see how it really does.

But the XM193 hasnt given me any issues and goes bang every time you pull the trigger.

ExtremeX
09-26-2010, 1:57 PM
I shoot XM193 55 grain and dont have any issues and find it to be accurate ammo. Ive been feeding my Stag 2T this stuff every range trip.

Bought 1k rounds at the gun show for a decent price.

I am going to try the 62 grain next time since im starting to shoot at longer ranges.

Dave A
09-26-2010, 2:05 PM
Well, this just gets more confused.

I bought a 1,000 round bulk pack of Federal XM193BK. It was advertised by Natchez Shooters Supply as .223 ammo and the receipt says it is .223 NATO 55gr, which leads me to believe it is really 5.56 NATO, as that is what the end of the cardboard box says.

The full description on the end of the box says;

XM193BK
5.56mm
Ball M193 55 gr. MC-BT LAACP Rifle cartridges

Now if Natchez advertised this as .223 and it is really 5.56 NATO, then that is misleading advertising to say the least. I have shot about 50 rounds of this in my AR rifle and have not noticed any difference in felt recoil, nor any problems with cases or primers. The rifle has functioned perfectly, just as with other rounds including Factory Remington, Fiocchi,
American Eagle and Miwall reloads.

My barrel does not have any caliber markings on it, so I guess an inquiry as to chambering would be in order as will an email to Natchez.

Opinions welcomed.

metalliman545
09-26-2010, 9:07 PM

I read bad reviews from this website: http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=549452

I got a box of these and it does looks very dirty and some of the cartridge wooble when rolled. Haven't got a chance to shoot it yet, though.

Some of the reviews:

Should be a zero! This is without a doubt the filthiest ammo I have ever opened as "new". The cases are fouled with a black wax-like substance in spots along the entire length of the case. Not wanting to fire them as is, I cleaned 100 rounds with WD-40, and the two paper towels I used were black afterwards, but the brass did clean up. In addition, I have found that about one out of every three or four rounds of this lot, when rolled across a flat surface, show bullet wobble, meaning accuracy will suffer down range. I wouldn't know though, because, on top of all that, I got to fire only 10 rounds of the stuff today, before my brand new Patriot Ordinance Factory POF-415 jammed due to a spent primer falling out of the 9th round and jamming the bolt carrier as the 10th round was fired. Fortunately it was not with a live round in the chamber. Upon a closer look at the first nine spent cartridges, three of the nine had missing primers, two of which wound up on the range bench...the third jammed the rifle. I will not shoot this again.

I purchased 200 of these rounds on 7/31/10 at Little Rock AFB. I am shooting them from a brand new Bushmaster Varminter AR-15. The gun has worked perfectly with all other ammos. This ammo has been absolutely terrible. It was stained with black splotches on the outside and every 4th or 5th round the primer falls out. I didn't realized the primers were falling out until my gun jammed and I started looking at the spent casings on the ground. Now my gun is jammed so bad that I may have to take it to a gunsmith as it will not disassemble with the bolt halfway back jammed very hard. I am going to take this issue up with the manufacturer. It really ruined my day and probably messed up and scratched the aluminum parts of my upper receiver. What a way to mess up a 1400.00 gun. I see other people have had good luck, but my story is true and you can see others who had similar experiences. Be wary. I can't wait to start reloading so I can be accountable for my own ammo.

wimps, Ars were made for WAR. ohh boohoo its scratched! this is the same guy whos like oh man i went 4 wheeling in my 5000$ 4 wheeler and it got scracted all to hell! ill never buy fro that company again they should use anti scratch pains and plastics!

Pryde
09-26-2010, 9:12 PM

Some of the reviews:

XM193 is notorious for having bad lots with overpressure problems. Sure you may have shot 10k of it and nothing went wrong but that was probably 10k of a good lot. Not saying that its bad ammo, but why pay a premium for it when there is other brass cased stuff available at lower prices that does NOT have these problems?

DigitalAmmunition
09-26-2010, 9:13 PM
The AE XM193 stuff is good. Shot it through my DD M4 many times and I find it accurate and clean (well, as clean as I find anywhere else). Good quality brass, no defects seen yet. It wouldn't be my SHTF ammo, but it's still generally a higher quality cartridge.

lanwarrior
09-26-2010, 9:24 PM
wimps, Ars were made for WAR. ohh boohoo its scratched! this is the same guy whos like oh man i went 4 wheeling in my 5000$ 4 wheeler and it got scracted all to hell! ill never buy fro that company again they should use anti scratch pains and plastics!

Who are you referring to as wimps? Those reviewer or me?

metalliman545
09-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Who are you referring to as wimps? Those reviewer or me?

those reviewers, especially that guy who was like my bolt got half way stuck and i scratched my reciever! wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wanna know what happens when my rifle falls down? whoops. brush dust off. my issue m4 and civvy AR. these things were made for combat, not looks, ive never seen a super tacticool rifle on anyone but a pog so theres no reason to start crying over a scratch on your rifle. just my opinion on those reviewers

lanwarrior
09-27-2010, 12:43 PM
those reviewers, especially that guy who was like my bolt got half way stuck and i scratched my reciever! wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

wanna know what happens when my rifle falls down? whoops. brush dust off. my issue m4 and civvy AR. these things were made for combat, not looks, ive never seen a super tacticool rifle on anyone but a pog so theres no reason to start crying over a scratch on your rifle. just my opinion on those reviewers

Yeah, I thought the same. I think the one that caught my eye was when both of them was saying something about "...spent primer falling out of the 9th round and jamming the bolt carrier

I still got the American Eagle XM193 ammo last weekend, though, so I'll try it out on my still-new DD M4V2.

97F1504RAD
09-27-2010, 12:44 PM
Great ammo shoot the heck out of it. There are no seconds as many claim the only difference between all the various types is merely packaging.

http://www.federalpremium.com/resources/xm193.aspx

stitchnicklas
09-27-2010, 12:57 PM
the lake city reloads miwall sells for 129 for 500rds is pretty good,had 1 ftf out of 500 and reloaded it and fired to make it a even 500...

gonna buy 500 more oct.

PEBKAC
09-27-2010, 1:22 PM
Bought 990 rounds on stripper clips. Shot a little over half of it through my XCR.

Goes bang as it should. Is definitely quite hot though.

Poppy83
09-27-2010, 1:31 PM
XM193 is notorious for having bad lots with overpressure problems. Sure you may have shot 10k of it and nothing went wrong but that was probably 10k of a good lot. Not saying that its bad ammo, but why pay a premium for it when there is other brass cased stuff available at lower prices that does NOT have these problems?

Brass-cased ammo for cheaper? Where?

I've honestly shot Silver Bear for the past 300 rounds and have not had any issues. It is not very dirty, cheap, and does not seem to be anymore accurate than me at the moment...

thrillhouse700
09-27-2010, 1:33 PM
Wasn't there a guy on here selling this in stripper clips in an ammo can? I could be wrong I heard it from a calgunner at the range.

Grakken
09-27-2010, 3:15 PM
I have some Guat Ammo (Guatemalan Surplus) I bought a few years back that looks like it was left in the rain and pissed on by baboons (Still have a lot), then left to swelter exposed in the sun... i dont do anything to them (wipe them off, shine em up..etc), just load em up and pull the trigger. M193 is good to go!. Ammo looks like crap, functions just fine (and is decently hot). I shoot Wolf and <color>Bear before I shoot the guat.

thrillhouse700
09-28-2010, 1:02 PM
is xm193 bimetal?

Jando86
10-02-2010, 12:21 PM
Wasn't there a guy on here selling this in stripper clips in an ammo can? I could be wrong I heard it from a calgunner at the range.

yes. I have "quite" a bit lol.
PM me if you want a case :)