PDA

View Full Version : Bay area bucks rutting

pieeater
09-24-2010, 5:14 PM
Bay Area Bucks are starting to rut. Anyone seeing any activity further north like Napa, Yolo, Lake, Sonoma countys?

Fireguy
09-24-2010, 5:33 PM
I hear there starting to rut in Amador County

pieeater
09-24-2010, 5:40 PM
Im not too familiar with Amador but I would think it would be pretty early for them.

I hear there starting to rut in Amador County

lewdogg21
09-24-2010, 5:46 PM
What? Do they think they are Elk? I'mm go rip off a bugle in my yard and if a buck comes rushing in they are rutting in the suburubs of sac. ;P

zerohour714
09-27-2010, 9:59 AM
Just got back from hunting outside of Petaluma and the bucks were rutting hard!!!! Bucks everywhere! We watched a nice 17"x17" chase a couple of does for an hour or so, tried to get close but missed at 280 yards, these bucks are going crazy!!!

thevic
09-27-2010, 10:07 AM
Im only familiar with hunting in hollister. I want to ho hunt next weekend preferably up north. What area do you guys reccomend i check out?

and is A zone for deer still open?

Rusty_Buckhorn
09-27-2010, 10:51 AM
bucks in the Hollister area were rutting hard this weekend..... but, A-zone is now closed.

taperxz
09-27-2010, 11:32 AM
I hunted my butt off this year in Lake Co. Finally got a nice 3 pointer yesterday morning. Big swollen neck, blue, and with two does. They are finally in rut. Now that the season is over.

pieeater
09-27-2010, 2:56 PM
I hunted my butt off this year in Lake Co. Finally got a nice 3 pointer yesterday morning. Big swollen neck, blue, and with two does. They are finally in rut. Now that the season is over.

You can catch a few starting to rut the last couple days of season up there if your lucky. My best Lake county buck was taken the last day of the season and didnt appear to be rutting. But I had gotten lucky and it was drizzling right at light, and blacktail bucks go nuts at the first rain. This was taken on public land in the late 90s.

http://www.fototime.com/7772FBAD5D45303/standard.jpg

taperxz
09-27-2010, 5:24 PM
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0264.jpg

http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab131/taperx/IMG_0263.jpg

The one on the wall scored 126 which isn't bad for a Lake County buck and the other is the one i got yesterday near indian valley res. He has a third point on the rack on the ground but you can't see it in this pick. I was alone with the iphone so it was the best i could do before packing him out of the brush. I was a great hunt though!! If you look closely at the neck you can see where i hit him. 275 yards +/-.

pieeater
09-27-2010, 5:58 PM
Nice Bucks!! In 30 years of hunting Lake county i bet Ive only seen 3 or 4 bucks that would break 120. I used to hunt quail and mess around up there all thru october too just to see what bucks I missed all year that would come out in the rut. My first buck I ever killed was at Indian Valley, tiny tiny fork.

Thefeeder
09-27-2010, 6:11 PM
Nice matue buck. I like the +/- part

taperxz
09-27-2010, 6:32 PM
Truth be told there are some big bucks in that area. My ranch is only a 20 minute atv ride from the res. on the south side. Really not much access there unless you own land. The hard thing is that with the brush, you need to be patient, glass glass and glass a hillside till you see a little shine. The big boys up there will not jump out at you at 50 yards and look at you. For the record, I hunt hard!!! No, i dont walk through brush and try to jump a deer cause you can't.

I have been hunting up there for a while and the great part is that most folks show up when the season opens only to experience the heat and dust. They usually give up saying "theres no bucks up here" LOL Us locals wait till the end when everyone goes up to B zone. We all get our bucks up there.

taperxz
09-27-2010, 7:03 PM
Pie, the quail this year are great. I think the quail had as many as 3 hatches up there!! I am going back up this weekend to get some. NOTHING better than quail tacos!!

pieeater
09-27-2010, 7:35 PM
Truth be told there are some big bucks in that area. My ranch is only a 20 minute atv ride from the res. on the south side. Really not much access there unless you own land. The hard thing is that with the brush, you need to be patient, glass glass and glass a hillside till you see a little shine. The big boys up there will not jump out at you at 50 yards and look at you. For the record, I hunt hard!!! No, i dont walk through brush and try to jump a deer cause you can't.

I have been hunting up there for a while and the great part is that most folks show up when the season opens only to experience the heat and dust. They usually give up saying "theres no bucks up here" LOL Us locals wait till the end when everyone goes up to B zone. We all get our bucks up there.

I used to try and find my bucks early in the velvet late May june early july. I would usualy hunt every weekend of the season but didnt really expect to kill anything during mid season. I killed a few on opening morning but most of my bucks were taken the last couple days.

pieeater
09-27-2010, 7:40 PM
Thats what I keep hearing I need to get out!! So you are over by spring valley??

Pie, the quail this year are great. I think the quail had as many as 3 hatches up there!! I am going back up this weekend to get some. NOTHING better than quail tacos!!

taperxz
09-27-2010, 8:00 PM
yep

r3dn3ck
09-30-2010, 11:43 AM
t-minus 6 days 14 hours 15 minutes till departure.