PDA

View Full Version : Turners Del Ton RIA .223

BoJackUSMC
09-24-2010, 1:37 PM
I was just wondering about this Del Ton RIA .223 rifle at Turners right now for
$799. Is it good deal? I do not know anything about Del Ton AR rifles and most reviews I read from the google says "I rather buy name brand AR than Del Ton." I could not find any good reliable reviews about Del Ton Ar.
Anyone here have any experience with this AR model?
thank you for your time and your help
This AR price fits into my AR budget.
http://turners.com/engage/displayads.php

jackliu239
09-24-2010, 1:49 PM
Not a good deal, buy the lower and upper yourself and save even more.

metalliman545
09-24-2010, 2:49 PM
my delton upper rocks

gun toting monkeyboy
09-24-2010, 3:38 PM
Nothing wrong with Del Ton for a basic, no-frills AR. But the price isn't all that great. You should be able to buy a stripped lower receiver in the $89-129 range, and then get a kit directly from Del Ton in the $465-485 range. Add a bullet button, and you are ready to go. For $800, you should be able to build a BCM brand rifle on the lower of your choice.

gti_20ae
09-24-2010, 3:44 PM
Didn't turners have that deal for S&W 150R for $799 last week, they have that deal like every other week, would that one be a better buy?

BoJackUSMC
09-24-2010, 3:59 PM
thanks all for the info

Offthehook
09-25-2010, 7:51 AM
Didn't turners have that deal for S&W 150R for $799 last week, they have that deal like every other week, would that one be a better buy?

I grabbed one of these and happy I did

U5512
09-25-2010, 10:31 AM
I grabbed one of these and happy I did

But you could do better.....quality wise......

Let's do the numbers since they don't lie (unless you were cooking the books for Arthur Anderson, the accounting firm:p:p:p):

S&W M&P15.......$799 + $70 tax + $25 DROS = $894 OUT THE DOOR

Build it yourself:

BCM 16" Mid-length complete upper with BCG + CH = $534 delivered
RRA mid-length hand guard = $20 delivered
M4 Commercial stock kit (from commercial sales forum here) = $40 delivered
Stripped Lower (Rifle Gear) = $133 out the door
Lower parts kit (from commercial sales forum here) = $55 delivered
A couple hours of your time and 2 cold ones = $2
GRAND TOTAL $783

Not to put down on your newly purchased M&P15, but you could have done much better with quality upper like BCM and more than $100 bucks left in your pocket to buy ammo!!!:D:D:D

railroader
09-25-2010, 11:29 AM
$799. Is it good deal? I do not know anything about Del Ton AR rifles and most reviews I read from the google says "I rather buy name brand AR than Del Ton." I could not find any good reliable reviews about Del Ton Ar.
I have a couple of deltons that run fine. If you want to save money buy a lower locally and order a kit from del-ton. They will ship the kit to and you won't be paying tax on the whole rifle. That also is a heavy barrel carbine. From del-ton you can get a chrome lined lighter barrel in the kit and still spend less money.

hawk81
09-25-2010, 6:03 PM
My buddy got the Smith and wesson from turners for $799. After he bought sights and the tax and dros, it was almost $1000. I will say though, that the fit and finish on the smith is excellent. What was weird about his smith is that it had a LAN World checklist with the gun. I am wondering if turners is having this company install the bullet button.

ParallaxTactical.com
09-27-2010, 4:03 AM
No bueno. You can build one in-store for for abit more but much better quality parts. Del-ton is cheap, plain and simple.

Offthehook
09-27-2010, 8:31 AM
Although that sounds good how you put it, this is my first rifle so zero experience and I'm also the type that if I'm building it then I will go all out. My Computer was supposed to be a budget build at first and now I have about 3500$ into it. I think for the price, the m&p is a pretty good deal for a quality firearm.

Let's do the numbers since they don't lie (unless you were cooking the books for Arthur Anderson, the accounting firm:p:p:p):

Build it yourself:

GRAND TOTAL $783

Not to put down on your newly purchased M&P15, but you could have done much better with quality upper like BCM and more than $100 bucks left in your pocket to buy ammo!!!:D:D:D

demonic6616
11-02-2010, 10:39 AM
Look, the delton ria 223 is a great rifle for beginners to intermediate people looking to get into the ar15 thing. being an ar15 fan myself i can say that the delton is good for the beginner to intermediate person. how often are we going to be subjected to the harsh and brutal combat environment of afghanistan or iraq here in the US.... probably never so it doesn't matter whether you have a 849.99 normally priced rifle or the top end lwrc tricon 3099.99 model. the smith and wesson mp 15or and t are great as well. quad rail system for optics vs the handguards, sights vs no sights.

for the budget minded people, think about this for a second. you can start an ar15 at the low end and work your way up by upgrading it and replacing parts. the great thing about delton ria is that if you get it and upgrade parts, you can go from a basic/intermediate rifle to a highly advanced rifle with a fraction of the price for a brand new lwrc or les baer police special, and still be able to piece together another ar15.

my opinion and owner of five ar15s, is purchase the delton. building one might bring you closer to your gun and may be cheaper, but its time as well. time can not be returned to you. but building is also a way to get what you want the way you want it. up to you. just some advice.

Don29palms
11-02-2010, 12:02 PM

Build it yourself:

GRAND TOTAL $783

+1 Much better rifle for less cash!

Offthehook
11-02-2010, 2:49 PM
Do you still have to register the lower? And how much is time and lack of skill worth haha

Don29palms
11-02-2010, 3:53 PM
The lower is the only part that has to be registered. Very little skill is needed for assembly. If you can put together a car model you can put together an AR.

sqroot3
11-02-2010, 6:53 PM
The lower is the only part that has to be registered. Very little skill is needed for assembly. If you can put together a car model you can put together an AR.

wow, really? that's actually sort of encouraging...gotta do this sometime.

railroader
11-02-2010, 8:26 PM
Rifle lowers aren't registered, handguns are. Mark

PixelBender
01-18-2011, 5:05 PM

Build it yourself:

GRAND TOTAL $783

Let the good times roll! I think I might just build this! Awesome find!

tacticalcity
01-18-2011, 5:12 PM

I sold Del-Ton rifle kits for years. Never had a single complaint. Stopped selling them over my markup not being significant enough for it to be worth it. They sell so low to the public, that there is no room for dealers to make a profit off them. They are a budget brand and being a budget brand gives them a stigma. They use inexpensive parts that are reliable, but not as high-end as other brands. They do not go through all kinds of extensive testing that brands that charge 3x as much do. They assemble their rifles/uppers, test fire them, then ship them out. A lot of large brands include higher-end parts and use certified quality and control testing methods but a lot of brands don't and get credit for it as if they do. For example, I would not say DPMS offers a better product, but they are huge brand name and they charge more so they credit for being a notch higher on the quality scale without offering anything to justify it. There is no reason to assume your Del-Ton will be junk. I would bet that it will be great. And while I probably would not risk making it a duty weapon, I would use it as a training rifle or plinker. I would certainly take it over a Model 1 Sales any day. I know plenty of people who run 100% reliable Del-Ton rifles and uppers. But every once in a while you hear a story about a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy...and those unproven stories plague the brand. Maybe they are true, maybe the aren't. But you never hear them directly from the source.

You have to understand. Gun guys are all alpha males. Were all having a measuring contest here. So you are definitely NOT gonna get objective advice on "which brand should I buy" type questions. Not from these guys. It is not that there are not differences in brands. But we all act like we are going to drop into Afghanistan tomorrow and take on the Taliban single handedly and need a rifle that is up to the challenge. If your ego is not as jacked up as ours, then you don't need to spend the kind of money we do on our ARs.

However, if you can afford to spend a couple hundred more dollars. Then CMMG and/or Bravo Company are worth a look. But if you other option is DPMS or some low end brand, don't waste your money. Del-Ton is on par with them.

sdearnest1981
01-18-2011, 5:20 PM

Where the hell did you find 2 beers for $2?

mceod
01-18-2011, 5:28 PM
Directly from a source...

Mine goes bang every time

tacticalcity
01-18-2011, 5:32 PM
Rifle lowers aren't registered, handguns are. Mark

He meant that the lowers have to be purchased/processed through a dealer who runs a DROS background check.

From a buyers perspective, it seems like the exact same process since they fill out the exact same paperwork. The only difference is that with a handgun the information is forwarded to the state and with a rifle the dealer does not forward that information. All the state knows when you buy a lower is you bought a "long gun". They do not know what make, model or serial number or any other specifics.

GMG
01-18-2011, 6:53 PM
Old thread but I'll post anyway.

Bought two Del-Ton upper kits, came with stocks and LPK'S for myself and son.

I furnished the lowers and they went bang !

Later did encounter FTE, put the Bravo Co. extractor spring kits in and have not had another problem. My son didn't have this problem but we changed it out anyway.

I'm happy with their product but I'm easy to please.

Mail Clerk
01-18-2011, 7:32 PM

BoJackUSMC,

For that price I think it's not a bad for both the lower and upper already together and ready for some cap busting. I admit I don't have a Del-Ton brand myself but I figure if it has a chrome barrel then your fine and good to go!!! It must already have a BB on it for legality issues so all you need is some good 10/30 round magazines. My two cents..... good luck and let us know what your final decision is. Check out some magazine articles as I've read there just as good as any other using basiclly the same materials and such.

Mail Clerk;)