PDA

View Full Version : How good is the PU scope?

85FourEyedGT
09-24-2010, 12:10 PM
I have been looking to do some long distance shooting with my mosin nagant lately and I have been looking at PU scopes but they only have 3.5x or 4x magnification

Do you think this is enough magnification for 200 yards?

how many of you have shot that far with your mosin with a PU scope?

At first I was going to convert my existing 91/30 to a sniper with a bent bolt and buying a PU scope and having it smithed on, then after I did the numbers, I could just get a complete sniper from JG sales for 450ish dollars So i would rather do that and then i can have 2 rifles:43:

then I seen this

http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/mosinsniperproject/index.asp

A POSP scope adapter to a Mosin , its a 9x scope which is better than 3.5x , would cost more than just buying a complete sniper and is pretty unique.

do you think its worth it?

I kinda just wanna buy the sniper so I can have a scoped mosin and then slowly build the one I have now with the POSP scope, its also useful because I want to get a SVD one day too so the scope would be interchangeable

thanks!

Jarhead
09-24-2010, 1:07 PM
the PU is a terrible scope and I prefer the PE and Zielvier / Ajack type scopes but it is era if you are collecting correct PU Snipers, regardless they are fun to shoot.

85FourEyedGT
09-24-2010, 1:33 PM
the PU is a terrible scope and I prefer the PE and Zielvier / Ajack type scopes but it is era if you are collecting correct PU Snipers, regardless they are fun to shoot.

im not really in it for the collectors value or whatnot, I just want to be able to shoot my mosin out to somewhat long distances with a scope, dont really plan on going over 300 yards with it

Jarhead
09-24-2010, 1:39 PM
then use one of those mounts that do not require drilling into the Receiver and use a modern 3X9 scope and you will be happier.

Jarhead
09-24-2010, 1:40 PM
try http://accumounts.com/

85FourEyedGT
09-24-2010, 1:52 PM
try http://accumounts.com/

At first I thought it was the typical mounts, scopes and bolts for mosins, then I saw they make a special mount that has rings for a 1"tube scope! thats exactly what i want! thanks!

85FourEyedGT
09-24-2010, 1:53 PM
then use one of those mounts that do not require drilling into the Receiver and use a modern 3X9 scope and you will be happier.

tried that, mount isnt very firm and the scope broke after 2 shots lol

mosinnagantm9130
09-24-2010, 2:09 PM
A friend of mine tried a POSP on a 91/30, and it sucked. A lot. Couldn't get a good cheek weld, wouldn't hold zero, etc, etc...

85FourEyedGT
09-24-2010, 2:18 PM
so now i gotta find a standard scope , maybe 4-16x that can take the recoil from a mosin

any suggestions?

Tacit Blue
09-24-2010, 5:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2M1hC4c0tc&feature=related

is that so? 1,000 yards is possible with a few modifications, wont be the most accurate scope. Still hits the steel man sized target every time though. :)

grossekatz
09-24-2010, 6:43 PM
I have a pu repro. It is not the greatest scope out there but it sure plinks the 600 yrd steel pig at my local range.

cruddymutt
09-24-2010, 9:58 PM
A PU scoped Mosin is fully capable of 800 yard shots. Plenty good enough for 300 yards,

HUTCH 7.62
09-24-2010, 10:00 PM
Well....You can hit as broad side of a barn with one.

Seriously a PU scope is very capable in the hands of a skilled rifleman

cruddymutt
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
I guess I should clarify alittle. You wont be slicing dimes with a PU scope at 800 yards but if you are shooting a reasonable target (ie. washing machine) you should be able to hit it most of the time. Thats what we have as our 800 yard target.

sniper5
09-25-2010, 6:12 AM
Well, according to history, it was good enough for the Russians in the Battle of Stalingrad.

Noonanda
09-25-2010, 7:33 AM
Well, according to history, it was good enough for the Russians in the Battle of Stalingrad.

Well to get technical the PU didnt come out till end of 1942, begining of 1943 so majority of the sniper rifles at Stalingrad would have been PE or PEM mounted rifles, Vasily Zaytsev used a PEM side mounted rifle according to the pictures of him supposedly taken during and after the battle.:p

But yes the PU is a very good scope for engaging man sized targets

professorhard
09-25-2010, 7:36 AM
I want to pull a Hathcock and shoot someone right through their PU scope

Jarhead
09-25-2010, 3:19 PM

Doubt there were any 600-800 Yard shots at Stalingrad, PU designed for what we call today a Designated Marksman or a 200-300 Yard Rifle.

rojocorsa
09-25-2010, 4:53 PM
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2006/mosinsniperproject/graphics/l/13.jpg

Still, that looks badass.

Noonanda
09-25-2010, 7:24 PM
Image isnt everything, functionality still should be the driving factor.

Jarhead I have used my PU sniper to engage steel plates out at BBM, the 400/450 target is easy with it, 600 was harder but do-able. Remember the ACOG/RCO is only 4 power as well so that is like saying every marine has a DM rifle because they have an ACOG. The M-91/30 PU is a sniper rifle, the russian doctrine is what is different. But the rifle was as much of a sniper as any other WW2 rifle adapted for optics like the 03A4 or Garand, #4 Mk 1, ETC Hell the US M-1903A4 had a 2.5 power weaver scope, it is more of a DM rifle out of any of them

Beetle Bailey
09-25-2010, 7:34 PM
I've used one to make hits on steel at 400 yards - it would be roughly like making head shots at that distance. IIRC Russian sniper training required hits at 700 yards with the sniper Mosin Nagants. So yes, the repro's are fun and you can shoot the heck out of them without worrying about devaluing an original.

Jarhead
09-25-2010, 7:46 PM
what I'm saying is " most " WW2 Kills were in the 200-300 yard range.................I would prefer my #4 MK1 plus all you listed ( which I own " all " and shoot w/ reloads ) over the PU of which I also own 6 originals plus PE and PEM Snipers. I have a replica USMC 1952 MC1 that out shoots all ( but she's not WW2 era ). My Model 70 w/ Unertl out shoots all too but she's Vietnam era along w/ my M40 ( both from TBA ).

Jarhead
09-25-2010, 7:51 PM
don't get me wrong the PU's are fun shooters as are all snipers but not as accurate as other era rifles. K98 with Zielvier type scopes can out shoot PU's especially the Argentine 1909 w/ Nedinsco's ( Zielvier's ). The M41b out shoots the PU hands down.............if you haven't noticed I love shooting vintage snipers :)

Noonanda
09-26-2010, 7:55 AM
Only problem is swedish neutrality did not let the M-41b get tested out. everything I have heard about the swedish rifles is Accuaracy. Nice thing about the PU when compared to some of the other sniper rifles used during WW2 was it allowed for use of iron sights,(can you use the irons on a #4 with the scope mounted? I thought I read you can but barely) and you still had iron sight (M-1903A4 does not, plus the scope did suck)

Were there Argentine 1909 armed germans going against the russians or other allies, if not it is kind of a moot point. because I will give you hands down both the swiss and swedish rifles are a S$%t-ton more accurate than a PU sniper, but since neither one of those countrys were involved in the fighting they do not count on the battlefield.

what was the German K-98 with the scope mount that was more of a scout scope on the side of the rear sight, that is a DM rifle

rojocorsa
09-26-2010, 11:13 AM
The 98K with LSR and Zeiss ZF-39 also allows use of the iron sights, FWIW.

Jarhead
09-26-2010, 11:59 AM
never fired the Swiss Snipers, struggling whether to invest in one or a Jap first..............moot point or not the M1909 w/ Nedinsco can out shoot the PU, plus like it or not the PU is at the bottom of the list when it comes to Sniper Accuracy............... now don't get that confused with the PU being a fun shooter and it served distinctly in WW2 as the most produced Sniper Rifle which in the hands of Babushka was deadly in defense of the Motherland. High Turrets on the K98 were a better platform than the PU design, the PE and PEM were better platforms.

nick
09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
never fired the Swiss Snipers, struggling whether to invest in one or a Jap first..............moot point or not the M1909 w/ Nedinsco can out shoot the PU, plus like it or not the PU is at the bottom of the list when it comes to Sniper Accuracy............... now don't get that confused with the PU being a fun shooter and it served distinctly in WW2 as the most produced Sniper Rifle which in the hands of Babushka was deadly in defense of the Motherland. High Turrets on the K98 were a better platform than the PU design, the PE and PEM were better platforms.

'Babushka' is the Russian for 'granny'. Just thought I'd point it out :)

Jarhead
09-26-2010, 12:11 PM
the Finn's capture MN and Optics from the Ruskie's and built their M/39SOV, now that is an accurate MN ..............more accurate than Grand Mothers :) I built a replica with a replica PE

Noonanda
09-27-2010, 10:45 AM
the Finn's capture MN and Optics from the Ruskie's and built their M/39SOV, now that is an accurate MN ..............more accurate than Grand Mothers :) I built a replica with a replica PE

im thinking about doing this with one of my M-28/76's

knucklehead0202
09-27-2010, 10:22 PM
well, they're period-correct, but about like taking the lenses out of grandpa's glasses and gluing them on each end of a toilet-paper tube. that's PU scopes for ya.