PDA

View Full Version : So how important is it to clean out your new barrel before firing it the first time?

Recession
09-24-2010, 11:48 AM
So I took my newly assembled AR to the range yesterday. Got there early so I could give the rifle a good initial cleaning. Did a palm face when I realized that I left the boresnake at home. I said "oh well" and put 500 rounds through it.

I know I know, the barrel has grease/gunk from the factory. Will shooting this without initially cleaning out the crud from the barrel affect the accuracy of this in the long run? :confused: I don't see why it would but so many people spaz out and flame people when they learn of someone firing a new gun/rifle without cleaning it.

xxINKxx
09-24-2010, 11:58 AM
Im sure its suggested you do for proper break in. But the last 2 AR uppers I had, I totally didnt even clean them prior, and shot all day befor my first cleaning. They are both perfectly accurate. I wouldnt stress over it

Barabas
09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
The reason to clean beforehand is for safety. There's a chance that debris has collected since it was greased up which will obstruct the barrel causing a catastrophic failure when fired. You dodged a bullet. Don't make it a habit.

Recession
09-24-2010, 1:16 PM
The reason to clean beforehand is for safety. There's a chance that debris has collected since it was greased up which will obstruct the barrel causing a catastrophic failure when fired. You dodged a bullet. Don't make it a habit.

:eek:

Saigon1965
09-24-2010, 1:19 PM
Just run a few cleaning patches thru -

Some folks are put on this globe to generally be a turd - Ignor the bad and life is grand -

I don't see why it would but so many people spaz out and flame people when they learn of someone firing a new gun/rifle without cleaning it.

pennys dad
09-24-2010, 1:32 PM
for new barrels just run a clp patch through it just to see what shows up nothing more. I will wipe the upper and bolt and such for the same reason and just to all a little lub. Obviously if i see some wierd colors or other i will investigate

Agro
09-24-2010, 2:46 PM
IMHO since you just paid good money for it, why not run 1 patch through it. You have time.

But to say that it was a risky move, I disagree. I say look down it, if light goes through and you see nothing the naked eye cant detect, then your safe good to go. Sometimes I think people on these forums think that AR's (and most other firearms) are some kind of extremely delicate instrument. These firearms were designed to be used in battle. It rains, dust storms, mud, snow, sleet, you get the idea.

Now there is the question of accuracy. Some argue that a proper break-in will guarantee you a more accurate barrel. Some say its BS, some say not. If you are concerned, spend a few minutes more and do the proper.. It definitely will not harm anything doing it that way, just take up more of your shooting time.

Anyhow, just my $0.02.

MasterYong
09-24-2010, 4:12 PM
It's really, REALLY important to clean barrels before initially firing them.

When I got my M1A, it had a THICK coating of grease inside the barrel- whether it was from the factory, distributor, or dealer I don't know, but I believe it was there simply to prevent undue corrosion in case the rifle was stored in a damp warehouse or something prior to being sold. I'm no gunsmith and far from a gun expert but I believe I would have had serious pressure issues had I not thoroughly cleaned the rifle before I first shot it.

I've always been told to clean a new gun before you shoot it. If nothing else, it may help you identify factory defects that could affect performance that you hadn't previously noticed. Factory defects can, do, and will happen.

Recession
09-24-2010, 5:23 PM
It's really, REALLY important to clean barrels before initially firing them.

When I got my M1A, it had a THICK coating of grease inside the barrel- whether it was from the factory, distributor, or dealer I don't know, but I believe it was there simply to prevent undue corrosion in case the rifle was stored in a damp warehouse or something prior to being sold. I'm no gunsmith and far from a gun expert but I believe I would have had serious pressure issues had I not thoroughly cleaned the rifle before I first shot it.

I've always been told to clean a new gun before you shoot it. If nothing else, it may help you identify factory defects that could affect performance that you hadn't previously noticed. Factory defects can, do, and will happen.

I am aware of the safety issues, and since I'm still alive after safely putting 500 rounds through it, we can rule out that the barrel was over-gunked or had any factory defects.

My main concern is with the hype over it affecting accuracy over the long run. I just don't understand how it would affect that. Whether I gave it a thorough cleaning before or afterward, what difference would it make? Is shooting a a barrel with the factory grease still intact going to somehow change the innards of the barrel?

Killawhale415
09-24-2010, 5:29 PM
This is Joke? Yes?

Barabas
09-24-2010, 5:42 PM
Hyperbole, yes. Joke, no.

Why do we treat unloaded guns as if they were loaded? For the same reason we inspect and clean firearms before using them for the first time, safety.

swerv512
09-24-2010, 7:08 PM
a little fouling in the barrel you first time out isnt going to affect accuracy in your AR. accuracy depends more on the barrel quality and how well it was assembled at the factory. unless there was something in the barrel that you didnt notice that could have scratched the lands- no harm done. just clean as prescribed after initial shooting and from now on to ensure best performance.