PDA

View Full Version : Best way to build gas piston 6.8 SPC rifle?

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 9:23 AM
I'm itching to build a new rifle. I'm thinking gas piston upper chambered in 6.8 SPC.

I'd like it to perform similarly to the HK416, meaning it would be very resistive to failure due to dirt and water and won't lock up if not constantly lubed. Basically I want something that will go to hell and back and still function perfectly. Is that a possibility with the gas conversion kits out there? What about upper receivers? Any particular ones I should look for? I would buy a complete HK upper but I don't believe they come in 6.8.

technique
09-24-2010, 9:32 AM
What you want, is a piston upper from someone who built the upper thinking "piston".
Usually "conversions" aren't gonna be pinned to the barrel like one from a MFG would. Unless you're drilling and pinning yourself. Some might not come in 6.8 and you'd have to use a separate bolt increasing the cost of your build.

I'd buy from someone that builds dedicated systems, tested. Addax, LWRC, LMT...to name a few.

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 9:36 AM
Yeah I'm thinking an assembled upper is the way to go. It looks like LWRC and CMMG make them in 6.8.

technique
09-24-2010, 9:38 AM
I'm pretty sure Addax and LMT do also.

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 9:42 AM
OK thanks technique.

Table Rock Arms
09-24-2010, 9:46 AM
The best way to build the rifle your looking for is to have LWRC do it.

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 10:02 AM
The best way to build the rifle your looking for is to have LWRC do it.

I agree. Also, less work and more shooting for me.

stormy_clothing
09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
LWRC rifles are ok but you can find a similar performing rifle for not more than half most of them.

I love my CMMG and the only two things I can recommend is a forged charging handle and anti tilt buffer and that you specify the upper built as a mid without hand guards and run something like the troy trx in stead. They offer a nice 1 piece but it's wider than say a DD but less parts. The trx lets you add rails only where needed.

CMMG has a unique bolt that although similar fitment contains additional anti tilt measures that twist the factory charging handle slightly but make it more reliable - the anti tilt buffer isnt really needed but provides an additional level of bolt control and sounds incredibly solid in the action and the flat wound springs they usually come with work better.

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Sounds good. I made an order with CMMG a few months ago and wasn't too impressed with the service I got... they sent me the wrong barrel after having to wait 2 weeks, then made me wait almost 2 more weeks for a replacement. Not a huge deal and they took care of it... I'd be willing to give them another chance.

I'll look into the CMMGs. Thanks!

LWRC rifles are ok but you can find a similar performing rifle for not more than half most of them.

I love my CMMG and the only two things I can recommend is a forged charging handle and anti tilt buffer and that you specify the upper built as a mid without hand guards and run something like the troy trx in stead. They offer a nice 1 piece but it's wider than say a DD but less parts. The trx lets you add rails only where needed.

CMMG has a unique bolt that although similar fitment contains additional anti tilt measures that twist the factory charging handle slightly but make it more reliable - the anti tilt buffer isnt really needed but provides an additional level of bolt control and sounds incredibly solid in the action and the flat wound springs they usually come with work better.

Addax
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
We build them.:D

http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1348&idcategory=137

oldrifle
09-24-2010, 10:48 AM
We build them.:D

http://www.adxtactical.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1348&idcategory=137

Yeah but they're expensive! I don't mind paying for quality tho. Sell me on the Addax vs. the CMMG.

Addax
09-24-2010, 7:45 PM
Yeah but they're expensive! I don't mind paying for quality tho. Sell me on the Addax vs. the CMMG.

Spec to Spec, there are some big difference between the CMMG and the Addax 6.8 Piston Uppers.

Our uppers are equipped with:

A mid-length rail system
PWS FSC30 Compensator
High Quality Ion Bond finished Stainless match barrel (SPECII, 1:11 twist)
Chrome Bolt Carrier with Vltor-BCM Gunfighter charging handle
ITS 6.8 Super Bolt
PWS Long Stroke Piston System.

There is another reason why you should consider Addax.

We focus on Quality.

We are not a mass production shop, and we build 90% of our uppers on a build to order basis.

This allows us to focus on QC.

If a part or assembly do not meet our stringent standards, we do not use it.

We also focus on Quality Customer Service.

Any product can fail, even the high quality products.

We stand behind our products, and we focus on taking care of our customers in case of an issue.

CMMG makes good products, and if you feel that is the best fit for you, then I hope it works out.

If you feel that we have what you are looking for, then I look forward to working with you.

Either way, Good Luck with your decision.

Chris

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 8:20 PM
Buy an Addax, more shooting time and less time troubleshooting :D

fcr
09-24-2010, 9:44 PM
Spec to Spec, there are some big difference between the CMMG and the Addax 6.8 Piston Uppers.

A mid-length rail system
PWS FSC30 Compensator
ITS 6.8 Super Bolt

We focus on Quality.

We are not a mass production shop, and we build 90% of our uppers on a build to order basis.

We stand behind our products, and we focus on taking care of our customers in case of an issue.

CMMG makes good products, and if you feel that is the best fit for you, then I hope it works out.

If you feel that we have what you are looking for, then I look forward to working with you.

Chris
I have been thinking about one of your 6.8s for awhile. Just have to save.:D

swerv512
09-24-2010, 9:47 PM

A mid-length rail system
PWS FSC30 Compensator
ITS 6.8 Super Bolt

We focus on Quality.

Chris

damn, now you got thinking of going ADDAX (not like i wasnt before...):p

oldrifle
09-25-2010, 9:12 AM
Addax, thank you for taking the time to "sell me" on buying your product. That act alone says a lot about you and your company. I will definitely look at Addax first when making my purchase. Thank you very much.

Nessal
09-25-2010, 10:46 AM

Im so pleased with the first one that i bought another after.

russ69
09-25-2010, 2:15 PM
I'm itching to build a new rifle. I'm thinking gas piston upper chambered in 6.8 SPC. I'd like it to perform similarly to the HK416, meaning it would be very resistive to failure due to dirt and water and won't lock up if not constantly lubed. Basically I want something that will go to hell and back and still function perfectly. Is that a possibility with the gas conversion kits out there? What about upper receivers? Any particular ones I should look for? I would buy a complete HK upper but I don't believe they come in 6.8.

I've got an all weather Mini-14 6.8, it fully meats your requirements. Runs 100%, accurate as any carbine and just plane fun. One of my favorites. Oh, yeah, and no darn button.........

Thanx, Russ

Table Rock Arms
09-25-2010, 4:42 PM
Almost forgot about Addax. The upper I got from them is top notch. Customer service is great also.