PDA

View Full Version : so my gas piston AR blew apart . . .

fishnbeer
09-24-2010, 7:57 AM
hey guys i recently purchased a s&w mp15 ps in 5.56 with the factory installed gas piston system. picked it up about a week ago and finally had a chance to take it to the range yesterday. was very happy to finally pop off some rounds, went through about 130 rounds then i had a serious problem . . .

got about halfway through a magazine and on the last shot it felt & sounded like the last round in the mag. i wasnt keeping track of how many rounds were left, which led to me being surprised that when i released the mag it still had 4 rounds ???? then i noticed the bolt was in the forward position and still a round in the chamber. pulled on charging handle cleared the live round and then heard some metal rattling at the barrel end.

the damn gas block had come off the barrel and the piston and spring fell out and the handguards had separated ! wtf!! my brand new $1500 rifle just broke the first damn time i shot it !!! looks like there is a set screw and a roll pin holding the gas block in place and the set screw either came loose or wasnt tight in the first place and the roll pin seems to have vanished but left some nice scrapes on the barrel where the block got rammed forward. i was shooting federal xm193 so i dont think it got choked up from shooting cheap ammo

my reaction at first was of course anger but then i started thinking what would happened if i tried to fire it like that? would this thing have just exploded on me??? a firearm is certainly something you dont want to have a major safety issue with!! i didnt realize it at the time but this could have put me and the guys around me in danger. not to mention what if this happened while i really needed the rifle for any kind of defense, or what if a cop or serviceman was using it and it failed on him making him basically unarmed in a battle????

not a happy camper at this point . brought it back to the shop i bought it from and gunsmith will look at it today. not sure if i even want to keep the piston system. "makes it more reliable" ?? yeah right

cell phone pic:

but on the plus side..... the bolt carrier stayed clean.... whoop dee friggin doo

professorhard
09-24-2010, 8:01 AM
Wow what a POS. That's crazy man, sounds like the upper wasn't assembled correctly at the factory

PatriotnMore
09-24-2010, 8:07 AM
I doubt the piston system is the problem, I think it will be found that the installation of the gas block is the problem. Screws not tightened down properly, and lack of loc-tite on threads. When you start rock and rolling with your AR, if things are not installed or tighten down properly, things will start to come loose.

jackliu239
09-24-2010, 8:10 AM
Don't believe the gas piston hype

technique
09-24-2010, 8:16 AM
It's usually best to do some research on pistons before you buy one. It would also help to buy one from a company that specializes in pistons.
It may also help to research your ammo choice, XM193 is, well, ****ty, Lots of problems and lots of failures with that ammo.
Another helpful thing to do is thoroughly inspect your rifle prior to shooting it.

Cuda440
09-24-2010, 9:23 AM
Personally, I would contact S&W before I let any gunsmith touch it. Try to get a refund, replacement, or a non-piston rifle and a partial refund.

sd1023x
09-24-2010, 9:37 AM
It could have been the crappy xm193 ammunition as technique said or an assembly error (love the DI crowd crapping on piston/op-rod AR's every chance they get and no, I don't own any piston/op-rod AR's). Bottomline, get your money back and do it over again, I probably wouldn't want a repaired gun and for $1500, you could do a lot better.

kendog4570
09-24-2010, 9:41 AM
hey guys i recently purchased a s&w mp15 ps in 5.56 with the factory installed gas piston system. picked it up about a week ago and finally had a chance to take it to the range yesterday. was very happy to finally pop off some rounds, went through about 130 rounds then i had a serious problem . . .

got about halfway through a magazine and on the last shot it felt & sounded like the last round in the mag. i wasnt keeping track of how many rounds were left, which led to me being surprised that when i released the mag it still had 4 rounds ???? then i noticed the bolt was in the forward position and still a round in the chamber. pulled on charging handle cleared the live round and then heard some metal rattling at the barrel end.

the damn gas block had come off the barrel and the piston and spring fell out and the handguards had separated ! wtf!! my brand new $1500 rifle just broke the first damn time i shot it !!! looks like there is a set screw and a roll pin holding the gas block in place and the set screw either came loose or wasnt tight in the first place and the roll pin seems to have vanished but left some nice scrapes on the barrel where the block got rammed forward. i was shooting federal xm193 so i dont think it got choked up from shooting cheap ammo

my reaction at first was of course anger but then i started thinking what would happened if i tried to fire it like that? would this thing have just exploded on me??? a firearm is certainly something you dont want to have a major safety issue with!! i didnt realize it at the time but this could have put me and the guys around me in danger. not to mention what if this happened while i really needed the rifle for any kind of defense, or what if a cop or serviceman was using it and it failed on him making him basically unarmed in a battle????

not a happy camper at this point . brought it back to the shop i bought it from and gunsmith will look at it today. not sure if i even want to keep the piston system. "makes it more reliable" ?? yeah right

cell phone pic:

but on the plus side..... the bolt carrier stayed clean.... whoop dee friggin doo

If it is new from S&W, contact them and arrange to send it to them for the repair. They should pick up the whole tab, shipping and all. It's not the shops' responsibility to repair or look at it. Going that route may just add to your frustration.

As a side note, I have refit a few gas blocks that were installed crooked at the factory on S&W AR's. Whats going on over there?

Lower86
09-24-2010, 9:43 AM
Glad you're rifle got hurt and not you. Calling S&W directly is definitely the route to go.

Recession
09-24-2010, 9:52 AM
More moving parts = more prone to failure. Get a refund, use that $1500 to build yourself a badass gas system AR the way they were meant to be built.

This is a prime example of why it is important to do your research. People jump all over these because it has the Smith & Wesson name, but keep in mind they are famous for their guns not their AR's. Remember, they just hopped on board the AR wagon only a couple of years ago.

Boltz
09-24-2010, 9:56 AM
Well at least it's good to hear that you didn't get hurt by the malfunction. I've never used but have always heard good things about S&W support, so definitely let them know about it, and they should take care of you.

tomd1584
09-24-2010, 10:40 AM
To Stormy: then why did this happen? If it quality, there's no excuse.

RRichie09
09-24-2010, 10:43 AM
To Stormy: then why did this happen? If it quality, there's no excuse.

While Stormy's response is rude, he is correct. It isn't the gas piston design that caused this failure, it seems like the failure is due to incorrect assembly.

Any AR, DI or GP will fail if assembled incorrectly.

Lets not make this thread a DI vs. GP thread.

To OP: I agree with the others, you should contact S&W directly.

FeuerFrei
09-24-2010, 10:44 AM
It could have been the crappy xm193 ammunition as technique said or an assembly error (love the DI crowd crapping on piston/op-rod AR's every chance they get and no, I don't own any piston/op-rod AR's). Bottomline, get your money back and do it over again, I probably wouldn't want a repaired gun and for $1500, you could do a lot better.

Yup! I agree.
IMHO S&W QC broke down here.
:eek:

shark92651
09-24-2010, 10:54 AM
I would contact S&W and request a call tag to return the upper for a replacement. Most likely just dimpling the barrel and putting everything back in place with loc-tite would fix it, but since it is brand new I would expect the mfg to either replace it or put it back together properly this time. This should not be a referendum on DI vs Piston or be used to bash S&W. Sh*t happens, let them make it right for you.

xxINKxx
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Doesnt look broken. More of a case of parts coming loose. Next time re-check the bolts while your shooting. New parts can come loose as the metal heats up and expands and cools

Nessal
09-24-2010, 12:16 PM
Don't believe the gas piston hype

Yup! No one ever blew up a DI AR15 before.

Droppin Deuces
09-24-2010, 12:24 PM
Looks like an Adams Arms system. Keep it! Don't listen to the DI AR hype, man!:D Mine works GREAT and shows no signs of wear after a lotta-lotta rounds.

Wait, is that sarcasm? I've had parts work loose on my bike before. I never thought of describing it as "blowing up."

NSR500
09-24-2010, 12:26 PM
Piston guns are reliable, you just got a poorly assembled one.

DavidRSA
09-24-2010, 12:32 PM
Wow!

Especially considering the benign topic.

I always wonder why some let themselves get so angry or upset so easily

Back on topic...I was almost about to get a LWRC, but when talking to those who have actually used an AR in the military or police, none of them recommended a piston system. I thought who better to give an opinion that those who actually use these,

Danielp59
09-24-2010, 12:35 PM
I would contact S&W and request a call tag to return the upper for a replacement. Most likely just dimpling the barrel and putting everything back in place with loc-tite would fix it, but since it is brand new I would expect the mfg to either replace it or put it back together properly this time. This should not be a referendum on DI vs Piston or be used to bash S&W. Sh*t happens, let them make it right for you.

I agree 100 %. Make the manufacture aware of it the first time it happens. That way if you have problems later on down the road it will be easier to have a replacement. You can send them a copy of your receipt to prove to them you haven't "abused" your weapon (seems like a common response when something breaks from most manufactures).

If they don't take care of you, I'd save those pictures and post them on every forum I could. Manufacture employees follow forums and if you send that message across to people, your bound to make an impact or you might come across an employee who will fix the problem. Sucks that it happened and I hope S&W will take care of you. S&W does have great customer service from my experience.

Good luck and post a followup with us.

Droppin Deuces
09-24-2010, 12:43 PM
Back on topic...I was almost about to get a LWRC, but when talking to those who have actually used an AR in the military or police, none of them recommended a piston system. I thought who better to give an opinion that those who actually use these,

Weird, I've actually heard the opposite from both. Not that they would recommend one over the other, but they don't see any disadvantage to the piston system.
The thing I always hear about DI is "keep it clean and it works fine." And with the piston I hear "you don't have to clean them as much."
But I think what the hardcore DI traditionalists are trying to say in this thread is "I hope you survive when your piston gun blows up in your FACE!"

God Bless The Mauser
09-24-2010, 12:53 PM
DI still has a piston ;)

Nathan Krynn
09-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Fail

Fail

Even Stoner thinks the gas piston operating system is superior to the current m16

You know Eugene Stoner has been dead for 14 years so this statement should really be in past tense.

While I am not a piston guy this really has nothing to do with piston VS. DI. I can list many cases I have seen both fail.

In all seriousness this is a manufacturing mistake that S&W better take care of. They need to know because what if that employee does it again and it hurts someone.

ocspeedracer
09-24-2010, 1:10 PM
wow man, thanks for sharring, glad you're alright.

paradox
09-24-2010, 1:19 PM
Why are the piston manufactures using set screws for the FSB? Tapered pins are mil-spec for a reason: they don't back out if put in right.

Average Joe American
09-24-2010, 1:48 PM
Its sounds pretty obvious (without seeing it in person anyway) that there was a QC issue during assembly. I am not 100% familiar with the M&P15PS but I think they use either taper pins (the strongest) or straight pins to secure the gas block. It must not have had the pins in set properly and they eventually vibrated out. That isnt a piston platform problem, that is a quality control problem.

I know the old Adams Arms retrofit kits used bolts and not taper pins which is not done anymore. (I hope?)

I could be wrong though and it wouldnt be the 1st time lol.

As far as a Ka-Boom? Once the gas block moved forward past the gas ports...the gun would have turned into a single shot rifle. No gas would be able to push back the piston and all of the gas would go out the front with the bullet.

Colt-45
09-24-2010, 2:21 PM
http://exeter-arms.com/yahoo_site_admin/assets/images/LWRC20Logo.17855701.png

4thSBCT
09-24-2010, 2:37 PM
shouldve buaght an AK ?

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 3:45 PM
Should have paid a few more hundreds and got a LMT :D

fishnbeer
09-24-2010, 4:51 PM
so what has happened with it is the shop i brought it back to has sent it back to s&w for repair. i am happy that the shop is taking care of it for me and getting it done as quick as possible and being good to me through the whole process, but i am not happy that s&w is just going to "repair it" . now im not claiming to be any kind of expert on this, but if something broke, REPLACE IT hopefully better results, and you dont leave a customer hangin' for 2 weeks while you screw around with the POS.

now the rifle will probably be fine after this, but i wont be ok with the rifle. basically it means that now im stuck with a gun that is:

A -a POS that broke the first time i used it
B- a POS that is now "repaired"
C- a rifle that i have zero confidence in
D- a rifle i dont feel is safe for me or anyone else to shoot
E- a rifle that if i try to sell to someone i will have to tell them the POS blew apart before but now it is "repaired". yep the thing that blew apart is still on there sir, be sure to wear safety glasses

so i talked to the guy at the shop and told him i just dont want the damn thing anymore and they said they will work something out for me. not sure what exactly they or me have in mind in terms of that but we'll sort it out when it gets back from s&w. i still want an AR, but definately leaning away from a piston ... i dont mind spending the extra 15 minutes cleaning if it means i dont have to deal with this.

they havent heard of this happening to any other of these rifles, guess im just lucky

ill keep ya guys posted

GasPiston
09-24-2010, 4:56 PM
Get a refund from S&W buy a cheap lower and purchase a Adams Arms Gas Piston upper. The gas block is pinned to the barrel so it does not move. No screws to get loose.

Recession
09-24-2010, 5:02 PM
so what has happened with it is the shop i brought it back to has sent it back to s&w for repair. i am happy that the shop is taking care of it for me and getting it done as quick as possible and being good to me through the whole process, but i am not happy that s&w is just going to "repair it" . now im not claiming to be any kind of expert on this, but if something broke, REPLACE IT hopefully better results, and you dont leave a customer hangin' for 2 weeks while you screw around with the POS.

now the rifle will probably be fine after this, but i wont be ok with the rifle. basically it means that now im stuck with a gun that is:

E- a rifle that if i try to sell to someone i will have to tell them the POS blew apart before but now it is "repaired". yep the thing that blew apart is still on there sir, be sure to wear safety glasses

so i talked to the guy at the shop and told him i just dont want the damn thing anymore and they said they will work something out for me. not sure what exactly they or me have in mind in terms of that but we'll sort it out when it gets back from s&w. i still want an AR, but definately leaning away from a piston ... i dont mind spending the extra 15 minutes cleaning if it means i dont have to deal with this.

they havent heard of this happening to any other of these rifles, guess im just lucky

ill keep ya guys posted

I know how you feel. If a rifle is going to be broken, I want to be the one to pop the cherry. Getting anything back after it has been repaired feels like it got violated somehow.

Why don't you have the store give you a new rifle, and have them keep the one that went in for repair. It will involve some paperwork, but I think that would be a fair deal.

MILLITIAof1
09-24-2010, 5:04 PM
Should have paid a few more hundreds and got a LMT :D
or paid the same price and got a railed out ATAC upper with whatever lower he wanted.

Victory
09-24-2010, 5:18 PM
It's usually best to do some research on pistons before you buy one. It would also help to buy one from a company that specializes in pistons.
It may also help to research your ammo choice, XM193 is, well, ****ty, Lots of problems and lots of failures with that ammo.
Another helpful thing to do is thoroughly inspect your rifle prior to shooting it.

As usual, you hit the nail right on the head.

Agreed completely.

-Vic

russ69
09-24-2010, 6:34 PM
Dudes, chill out. First the rifle didn't blow up, the gas block came loose, that's all. I don't think a gas block failure will cause a blow up. you have to fire out of battery for that to happen. At any rate, let S&W fix the problem, if the repair looks reasonable (i.e. the gun looks like new) then give it a chance. It's probably a pretty good gun. I know it's disappointing but I'm sure it will get a careful once over and you'll get a good gun returned to you. If you are unhappy in any way, I'm sure either the dealer or S&W will take care of you. Good luck.

Thanx, Russ

slappomatt
09-24-2010, 6:35 PM
I have a 22A target pistol from S&W. I had an issue with the upper rear hold down tab broke off. I was stoked to hear that they would fix it for me for free. I expected at minimum I would get a new upper rail as its all one piece. and being as they sold complete uppers for the gun I was Hopeful to get a new complete upper. I got the gun back a month or so later and they RIVETED a steel tab on where the alum tab broke off. It works fine now but it worked fine even when it was broke. so yeah.

Did they fix it? yes.
Did I pay? no.
Did they do a ****ty *** job? yep.
Will I buy S&W again? nope.....

swerv512
09-24-2010, 6:43 PM

:iagree:

IsaacGlass
09-24-2010, 6:46 PM

ill keep ya guys posted

Sell the upper and buy a Addax upper.

Aftermath686
09-24-2010, 7:19 PM
Wow!

Just because someone is LEO or Mil, doesn't mean that they know what they are talking about. I have met a plethora of Mil and LEOs who don't know diddly squat about the firearms they are using. Most of the info is just scuttlebut. It's actually the minority, in both cases, that are really locked on.

Addax
09-24-2010, 7:52 PM

+1

Send it back to S&W, and I am sure they will want to fix it for you.

Droppin Deuces
09-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Dudes, chill out. First the rifle didn't blow up, the gas block came loose, that's all. I don't think a gas block failure will cause a blow up. you have to fire out of battery for that to happen. At any rate, let S&W fix the problem, if the repair looks reasonable (i.e. the gun looks like new) then give it a chance. It's probably a pretty good gun. I know it's disappointing but I'm sure it will get a careful once over and you'll get a good gun returned to you. If you are unhappy in any way, I'm sure either the dealer or S&W will take care of you. Good luck.

Thanx, Russ

No, man. It blew up. Fear the piston!

Fear....

pyro3k2
09-25-2010, 9:31 AM
That sucks it had to happen to you. But I think everyone is forgetting the most important thing here, that NO ONE GOT HURT! Luckily for you S&W has amazing customer service and support. I've owned several s&w products in the past and their C/S is what gives them an edge when it comes to a sale. Im pretty sure that not only will they be willing to replace/refund/swap, but they will probably do so in a very timely manner.

russ69
09-25-2010, 2:09 PM
I'm not an expert on piston driven ARs. The front block doesn't look like the one in the Smith pictures I saw so I'm a little confused, but it looks like the gas block cross pin came out and the piston spring pushed the gas block forward. At that point the gun had no gas to operate. I thought it was just a lose part that caused the loss of some parts.
I've lost a front pin on both an AR and an AK. I got new pins, peened them in place and never had another problem.
The OPs problem just looked like a PIA but not the end of the world. I take it as a point of pride when I find a small deficiency and fix it myself and solve the problem. I've learned a little something and know my gun a little better. Sometimes a true engineering fix needs to be applied (that's OK, I was an mechanical designer or 36 years) and I will do that if reasonable and that can be very satisfying. Rarely does a gun need serious re-engineering but if it does, I'll ask for the best solution, sometimes that's a new and different gun.

Hornet_RN
09-25-2010, 2:15 PM
this makes me not want to buy a gas piston AR...glad you're safe buddy.

Droppin Deuces
09-25-2010, 3:12 PM

:willy_nilly:

bomb_on_bus
09-25-2010, 3:20 PM
let the manufactuer handle the issue as getting a local smith involved may add headache to the mess.

as for the whole DI vs GP isnt that arguement a little old????????????

its like arguing stick shift vs automatic in the end they are both cars.

fusionstar
09-25-2010, 4:12 PM
lol reminds me of the bcm vs stag thread a week ago.. lmfao

we weren't lying.

hawk81
09-25-2010, 5:03 PM
Yeah, that sucks. Arrange for Smith and Wesson to send you a return label on the gun. Make Smith and Wesson fix it and pay you for the shipping. Also ask them what they will do for you due to the inconvenience. When you spend that kind of money on a new rifle and it breaks like that, then they owe you something for the inconvenience and trouble.

Dhena81
09-25-2010, 7:12 PM

:Ivan:

RLTW
09-26-2010, 9:33 AM
let the manufactuer handle the issue as getting a local smith involved may add headache to the mess.

as for the whole DI vs GP isnt that arguement a little old????????????

its like arguing stick shift vs automatic in the end they are both cars.

Bummer

If you bought the upper local take it back and have them fix or replace. If bought online, most will take it back without any issues.
Or fix it yourself, re-pin or loc-tite your set screw with red...

That being your first outing.. You broke the barrel in and took your time?

I know its tempting to lock and load... and blast away.

As a learning point, inspect after so many shots to ensure things are holding together, have patients and take your time.

Good Luck

MadMax
09-26-2010, 10:18 AM
It really sucks that you got a lemon but when something is massed produced a lemon is going to happen from time to time.

When you get the repaired rifle back you are going to be able to put 10000 rounds down the pipe without a problem.

It is not that it is a crappy rifle or crappy ammo or the type of system, it is a bit of bad luck.

I understand that it feels bad to have something brand new fail and not have it be replaced but like I said it will run flawlessly when you get it back.

At least you weren't hurt and when you get it back shoot the sh1t out of it.

bwiese
09-26-2010, 10:31 AM
Um, I thought gas pistons solved all the world's problems?

As you can see, sometimes there are more parts to fail than on a DI system.

My bet is that you have a screwed-down front sight/gas block. This is why Uncle Sugar likes using 'taper pins' on M16s/M4s.
I've heard of a lotta gas blocks coming loose that have screws that can't be staked/LockTited.

None of my ARs have screwed down FS/GBs - instead they all use taper-pinned A2 FSes. Funny, I don't have problems.

Droppin Deuces
09-26-2010, 11:45 AM
I cannot believe you guys are still going with the anti-piston stuff. What do you people do when your car gets a flat tire? Do you fix the problem and move on or do you sit there and ***** and moan about how they never should have invented rubber tires?

kendog4570
09-26-2010, 11:57 AM
But my tires are piston-free.

bernieb90
09-26-2010, 4:15 PM
Oh S**t my car has 4 pistons in the engine alone!! What do I do? I think I will convert the car to DI (rocket power) to avoid the pistons coming loose. :rolleyes:

Poor assembly is not the same as faulty sytem, or poorly designed parts. I can design something 100% reliable (I am a mechanical engineer), but if the machine shop/assembler forgets to tighten the screws it does no good.

Any mass produced item has an acceptable level of failure. Normally the level is very low, but someone has to be the one to get the one that doesn't work right. Send it back have it fixed, and move on with your life. It happens with cars all the time why are people so shocked when guns have issues from the factory.

Addax
09-26-2010, 5:12 PM
This situation to me looks like something to do with the gas block not being properly secured to the barrel.

Firearms fail all the time time due to improperly assembled/installed parts, the use of poor quality parts, or parts just break for whatever reason.

I am not exactly sure how S&W installs and secures their gas blocks to the barrel, but this is something that should be worked out directly with S&W.

wash
09-26-2010, 10:02 PM
MY TOILET BLEW APART!

because the chain fell off the lever and then it wouldn't flush...

Just a little hyperbole to match the original post.

I'm not covered with human waste either.

His gun broke.

There was never any danger of a catastrophic failure, it just quit working and dis-assembled itself a bit.

Sudden infant death syndrome. It happens some time.

Would a DI gun have failed in the same way?

No, it would have failed later, after you were convinced that everything was fine...

This is a quality control failure, not a design problem.

There are plenty of defective DI guns out there that quit working and didn't blow up, does that mean DI is a flawed design?

tvfreakarms
09-27-2010, 2:49 AM
WHAT!!! WOW! I thought S&W was in the AR game a lot longer than that.

More moving parts = more prone to failure. Get a refund, use that $1500 to build yourself a badass gas system AR the way they were meant to be built.

This is a prime example of why it is important to do your research. People jump all over these because it has the Smith & Wesson name, but keep in mind they are famous for their guns not their AR's. Remember, they just hopped on board the AR wagon only a couple of years ago.