PDA

View Full Version : ak pistola

Tre(y)13
09-23-2010, 9:50 PM
so if i were to buy an ak pistol, could i add a folding stock to it..basically making a krink..? would it remain registered as a handgun or would it change to a long gun?

pacrimguru
09-23-2010, 9:55 PM
adding a stock makes it an SBR, and is not legal. (SBR = short barreled rifle.)

bigthaiboy
09-23-2010, 9:56 PM
so if i were to buy an ak pistol, could i add a folding stock to it..basically making a krink..? would it remain registered as a handgun or would it change to a long gun?

You could add a stock to it, AFTER you have added a permanent muzzle extension to bring the barrel length to 16+ inches. Adding a stock to a Draco with a 12" barrel would make it a short-barrelled rifle and would be a big-time felony without all the right federal & CA paperwork.

Ed_Hazard
09-23-2010, 9:57 PM
No, it would become a SBR and would be very illegal, as opposed to regular illegal. Once a stock is added the gun is then and forever more a rifle, even if you take off the stock it would still be a rifle legally. You could add an extension to the Barrel to meet min. length requirements but again could never take all the crap off and legally go back to being a pistol.

Cokebottle
09-23-2010, 10:00 PM
You could add a stock to it, AFTER you have added a permanent muzzle extension to bring the barrel length to 16+ inches. Adding a stock to a Draco with a 12" barrel would make it a short-barrelled rifle and would be a big-time felony without all the right federal & CA paperwork.
Negative Ghostrider.

Even with the muzzle extension to bring the barrel to 16", it would still be an Assault Weapon in California with a functioning folding stock unless the overall length when folded is 30" or greater.

Under FEDERAL/NFA law, the 16" barrel with the folder would be legal, but California has it's own set of rules.

To the OP... Once you add a buttstock and barrel over 16", that receiver is now and forever a long gun and can never be made into a pistol again without NFA registration as an SBR.
There are precious few OLL pistols in California as it is... please don't turn one into a rifle ;)

straykiller
09-23-2010, 10:06 PM
sbr dont do it, bad things will happen

bigthaiboy
09-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Negative Ghostrider.

Even with the muzzle extension to bring the barrel to 16", it would still be an Assault Weapon in California with a functioning folding stock unless the overall length when folded is 30" or greater.

Under FEDERAL/NFA law, the 16" barrel with the folder would be legal, but California has it's own set of rules.

To the OP... Once you add a buttstock and barrel over 16", that receiver is now and forever a long gun and can never be made into a pistol again without NFA registration as an SBR.
There are precious few OLL pistols in California as it is... please don't turn one into a rifle ;)

Since you are quoting me, then let me clarify. I was only answering the NFA / federal part of the OP's question, so my reply to the OP is correct. I am assuming the OP is aware of CA AW law, since he has asked many questions here on AKs in general.

Adding a muzzle extension and a triangle stock (as well as the mods to satify CA AW requirements) to Dracos, has been done here by more than one Calgunner.

Cokebottle
09-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Since you are quoting me, then let me clarify. I was only answering the NFA / federal part of the OP's question, so my reply to the OP is correct. I am assuming the OP is aware of CA AW law, since he has asked many questions here on AKs in general.

Adding a muzzle extension and a triangle stock (as well as the mods to satify CA AW requirements) to Dracos, has been done here by more than one Calgunner.
When posting, we have to be careful to remember that more people than just the OP are going to read the response.

What you said does clear NFA issues, but is still not legal in California.

And as far as other Calgunners who have done it.... they haven't done it legally with a functional folding stock unless they've added enough barrel extension to get it to 30" folded.

Kinda defeats the purpose doncha' think?

bigthaiboy
09-23-2010, 10:39 PM
When posting, we have to be careful to remember that more people than just the OP are going to read the response.

What you said does clear NFA issues, but is still not legal in California.

And as far as other Calgunners who have done it.... they haven't done it legally with a functional folding stock unless they've added enough barrel extension to get it to 30" folded.

Kinda defeats the purpose doncha' think?

OK, I got what you are saying.

You would need a 9" fake can to make a BB-equipped Draco up to the 30" OAL folded to satify CA law.

MrPlink
09-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Just pin the stock in place and add extension to make the bbl 16 plus in, and just remember to make the over all length 30in plus.

Simple enough answer, as opposed to all the nay saying?

I've seen more a few californians do this. Iirc, norse armory even offered to build me one in this fashion.

Another thing to keep in mind, once its a rifle, you can't go back (unless you are in a free state and have a tax stamp from the atf for an sbr)

Cokebottle
09-23-2010, 11:01 PM
OK, I got what you are saying.

You would need a 9" fake can to make a BB-equipped Draco up to the 30" OAL folded to satify CA law.
Ya, I keep picturing that and thinking "Hmmm..... maybe..... it WOULD look evil" :43:

Tre(y)13
09-23-2010, 11:05 PM
so much for trying to be unique :rolleyes: thanks for the feedback. so the shortest barrel length i can roll with legally here is 16" and no shorter?

Cokebottle
09-23-2010, 11:10 PM
so much for trying to be unique :rolleyes: thanks for the feedback. so the shortest barrel length i can roll with legally here is 16" and no shorter?
As a pistol, no more than 15.99999999"
As a rifle, no less than 16", overall length minimum 30" for semi-automatic centerfire with the folding telescoping stock collapsed.

Federally?
As a pistol, no more than 15.99999999"
As a rifle, no less than 16", overall length minimum 26", with the folding/telescoping stock EXTENDED!

So in any state.... not just California... a folder has to have a 16" barrel, OR it needs an SBR tax stamp, but in any event, the folder would no longer be a pistol.

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 7:18 AM
I've had it done and plan on doing another one to a Draco. First, permanently attach a muzzle device to satisfy the 16" minimum barrel length then add the rear trunnion and stock. If you chose a folding type stock it needs to be fixed in the open position. Once converted it can no longer be considered or reverted back to it's pistol status as stated earlier.

AK pistols are so easy to get nowadays, I don't feel bad restoring them into their original rifle configuration. Plus, I love my krinks

Tre(y)13
09-24-2010, 1:19 PM
so how come the AR "pistols" are allowed to have a "stock"?

like this one i found in the classifieds..http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=342161

grumpy562
09-24-2010, 1:26 PM
Thats not a stock, its just the buffer tube. There's no where to shoot it from the shoulder on it. It doesnt have a butt.

Turo
09-24-2010, 1:28 PM
so how come the AR "pistols" are allowed to have a "stock"?

like this one i found in the classifieds..http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=342161

They aren't. What you see is the buffer tube, which is integral to the operation of the weapon, and is not designed to be a shoulder stock. To put a shoulder stock on a pistol (like has already been stated in this thread) is to create a SBR and is illegal both federally and under state law.

EDIT: Darn, grumpy beat me to it.

Tre(y)13
09-24-2010, 1:36 PM
ahh i see i see..to me it looks like a cheek weld. would i be able to slap one of those bad boys on a draco?

MrPlink
09-24-2010, 1:42 PM
You CAN shoulder a buffer tube, not very comfy or effective though. I've read about certain ranges getting mad at people doing so though. A tight single point sling is the way to go.

stix213
09-24-2010, 2:15 PM
I believe you could add a folding stock to a Draco pistol legally if you permanently fix the stock in the folded position. Would be just for looks then

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 2:26 PM
I believe you could add a folding stock to a Draco pistol legally if you permanently fix the stock in the folded position. Would be just for looks then

that is riding a fine line. whether the stock is pinned closed or not...ask yourself this question...Does your pistol have a stock attached to it?

U need to permanently extend the barrel to 16" FIRST or else you would be in possession of an sbr. Unless you have a 9"-10" extension, the stock MUST be fixed in the open position to satisfy the 30" OAL requirement

look here for a properly configured draco turned into a CA legal "krink" by our very own 69mach1 - permanently attached fake can for 16" barrel length and pinned folding stock to meet 30" OAL (mag lock and 10/30 mag too of course).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324425

For an AK into a rifle there is no other way. Adding a AR buffer tube can be seen as an SBR since there is no argument that the buffer tube on an AK serves any other purpose other than providing a cheekweld or for shouldering the firearm. For an AR, there is plenty of justification that the buffer tube exists as a necessary function of the pistol.

cmace22
09-24-2010, 2:32 PM

I was just going to ask about this very same thing. Anyone wondering why just has to watch the movie "Red Dawn" when ther are no laws you can get in trouble for a stock on a pistola.

13204u
09-24-2010, 2:39 PM
Just out of curiosity how long of a barrel extension would you need for turning one into a rifle with a fixed wire stock?

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 2:43 PM
however long it takes to get to 16" barrel length.

For a Draco, I think it's 5"

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 2:46 PM
ahh i see i see..to me it looks like a cheek weld. would i be able to slap one of those bad boys on a draco?

Not needed to function, unlike the AR, so no.

As a pistol, no. Only if you extend the barrel out to 16" and maintain 30" overall.

that is riding a fine line. whether the stock is pinned closed or not...ask yourself this question...Does your pistol have a stock attached to it?

U need to permanently extend the barrel to 16" FIRST or else you would be in possession of an sbr. Unless you have a 9"-10" extension, the stock MUST be fixed in the open position to satisfy the 30" OAL requirement

look here for a properly configured draco turned into a CA legal "krink" by our very own 69mach1 - permanently attached fake can for 16" barrel length and pinned folding stock to meet 30" OAL (mag lock and 10/30 mag too of course).

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=324425

For an AK into a rifle there is no other way. Adding a AR buffer tube can be seen as an SBR since there is no argument that the buffer tube on an AK serves any other purpose other than providing a cheekweld or for shouldering the firearm. For an AR, there is plenty of justification that the buffer tube exists as a necessary function of the pistol.

This^^^^^^^

Just out of curiosity how long of a barrel extension would you need for turning one into a rifle with a fixed wire stock?

The barrel must be 16" in length and overall 30" to be 100% legal.

MrPlink
09-24-2010, 3:07 PM
Can somebody show me where it says a folded and permanently pinned stock (for decor purposes) is illegal ?
I'm guessing this is a Federal law, not state?

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 3:13 PM
in my argument, i never said it was illegal.

But just ask yourself the following questions that a DA would probably ask.

Is that a rifle or a pistol? - A: Pistol
Is that a stock attached to that pistol? - A: yes, but...(they won't care)
So are you saying you have a pistol with a stock attached? - A:...umm...
How would you like a fully paid trip to Club Fed?

i don't think it's explicitly stated that it's illegal, but the odds are definitely stacked against you for a decorative item.

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 3:27 PM
Can somebody show me where it says a folded and permanently pinned stock (for decor purposes) is illegal ?
I'm guessing this is a Federal law, not state?

These definitions have been pulled straight from the BATFE's website.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Pistol. A weapon originally designed,
made, and intended to fire a
projectile (bullet) from one or more
barrels when held in one hand, and
having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral
part(s) of, or permanently
aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a
short stock designed to be gripped
by one hand and at an angle to and
extending below the line of the
bore(s)

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned,
made or remade, and
intended to be fired from the shoulder
and designed or redesigned and
made or remade to use the energy
of the explosive in a fixed cartridge
to fire only a single projectile
through a rifled bore for each single
pull of the trigger, and shall include
any such weapon which may be
readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.

In bold is where you can get into trouble with having a stock attached to a pistol. The stock means fired from the shoulder.

MrPlink
09-24-2010, 3:45 PM
^no doubts there. I know its a grey area, but if the stock is pinned in the folded position in a permanent manner, wouldn't these cease to be a stock? A true krink can be fired with a closed stock, but its meant to be fired from a shouldered position.

Tre(y)13
09-24-2010, 3:49 PM
Mach makes adamn fine lookin rifle. anybody know how much he would charge for something like that tobuy? and the length of barrel used? might be fun to build me won uh'dem :)

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 3:50 PM
In my opinion, it is a stock whether it's open or closed. It's just not a functional stock when it's closed. If I took it off the gun it would still be a stock, right?

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 3:58 PM
Mach makes adamn fine lookin rifle. anybody know how much he would charge for something like that tobuy? and the length of barrel used? might be fun to build me won uh'dem :)

Draco - $420 shipped
DROS and Transfer - $80 +/-$20
Romy Side Folding Stock - $60
Romy Rear Trunnion - $15
Barrel Extension - $45
Pinning barrel and changing out rear trunnion - $100
refinishing - ???? up to you

Around $720 when it's all said and done without refinishing. the parts and labor if you already have a Draco is about $220. The draco barrel is about 11.5" so you need at least a 4.5" extension to make the required 16" barrel length.

stix213
09-24-2010, 4:07 PM
These definitions have been pulled straight from the BATFE's website.
http://www.atf.gov/publications/download/p/atf-p-5300-4.pdf

Pistol. A weapon originally designed,
made, and intended to fire a
projectile (bullet) from one or more
barrels when held in one hand, and
having (a) a chamber(s) as an integral
part(s) of, or permanently
aligned with, the bore(s); and (b) a
short stock designed to be gripped
by one hand and at an angle to and
extending below the line of the
bore(s)

Rifle. A weapon designed or redesigned,
made or remade, and
intended to be fired from the shoulder
and designed or redesigned and
made or remade to use the energy
of the explosive in a fixed cartridge
to fire only a single projectile
through a rifled bore for each single
pull of the trigger, and shall include
any such weapon which may be
readily restored to fire a fixed cartridge.

In bold is where you can get into trouble with having a stock attached to a pistol. The stock means fired from the shoulder.

If the folder stock is pinned folded then it is not even possible to be fired from the shoulder, let alone even intended. I would think your bolded text would actually support the idea that a folder pinned in this manner would be legal on a pistol.

I suppose this is just waiting on a test case then before its decided. Try at your own risk.

cmace22
09-24-2010, 4:11 PM
In my opinion, it is a stock whether it's open or closed. It's just not a functional stock when it's closed. If I took it off the gun it would still be a stock, right?

I dont think it meets the definition of a rifle nor a stock, but it is a gray area. I would do it though :)

I like the krink style. How easy would it be to convert a draco to a krink style. Or where can I find a krink pistol?

Tre(y)13
09-24-2010, 4:11 PM
hmm.might as well just buy one at that price. anyone have one for sale? :shifty:

MrPlink
09-24-2010, 4:22 PM
Tre,
Contact Henderson Defense. I believe they have them in stock again.

Tre(y)13
09-24-2010, 4:29 PM
Plink..

are you referring to the Draco or a "krink"? i was thinking about buying a draco and doing the work, but after seeing the pricing (thanks Munkeeboi) i think id rather save the time and just buy one for about the same cost

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 4:32 PM
I dont think it meets the definition of a rifle nor a stock, but it is a gray area. I would do it though :)

I like the krink style. How easy would it be to convert a draco to a krink style. Or where can I find a krink pistol?

Dracos (7.62) and Champions (5.56) have the parts of former krinks built on new pistol receivers

hmm.might as well just buy one at that price. anyone have one for sale? :shifty:

Problem is that most people (out of CA) have converted their pistols into SBR's which we won't be able to get into CA. Not sure it they can add a extension or if it's once an SBR always an SBR.

munkeeboi
09-24-2010, 4:35 PM
Plink..

are you referring to the Draco or a "krink"? i was thinking about buying a draco and doing the work, but after seeing the pricing (thanks Munkeeboi) i think id rather save the time and just buy one for about the same cost

FYI, I've never seen a Romanian converted krink commercially available. It is by far one of the cheapest krinks compared to the Russian, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian and polish varieties that start around $700 just for the parts kits.

My Champion AIMR clone after I saw 69mach1's. Pistol's are fun to shoot...but this is more fun!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v47/munkeeboi/bang/IMG_0909.jpg

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 5:02 PM
If the folder stock is pinned folded then it is not even possible to be fired from the shoulder, let alone even intended. I would think your bolded text would actually support the idea that a folder pinned in this manner would be legal on a pistol.

I suppose this is just waiting on a test case then before its decided. Try at your own risk.

I'm not going to do it. Tennessee Guns IIRC did that to some PPS43 pistols , but they had to get the ATF to cut them a letter before they were allowed to manufacture for sale or sell them as a pistol.

If you mount a stock that receiver ceases to be a pistol. If you did want to build up a kit with the stock folded as a pistol, you better get an ATF approval letter before sending that in to the DOJ for a ruling.

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 5:09 PM
The Draco "Krink" isn't much different then a standard Romy. The biggest difference is the gas block/ front sight combo. You could build one with a standard G kit. Little lathe and some welding and done.

They're not like Russian or Bulgarian Krinks, those are works of art and differ so much from the full size rifles there isn't much that is interchangeable.

ke6guj
09-24-2010, 5:11 PM

:iagree:

I'm not going to do it. Tennessee Guns IIRC did that to some PPS43 pistols , but they had to get the ATF to cut them a letter before they were allowed to manufacture for sale or sell them as a pistol. correct, manufacturers have gotten ATF letters stating that a stock could be permanently attached in a manner that it could not be used to "fire from the shoulder" and not be considered a rifle, or an SBR.

If you mount a stock that receiver ceases to be a pistol. If you did want to build up a kit with the stock folded as a pistol, you better get an ATF approval letter before sending that in to the DOJ for a ruling.its not the presence of the stock, it is being "designed to be fired from the shoulder" that triggers rifle status. And yes, get your own ATF letter before you do this yourself.

bigthaiboy
09-24-2010, 6:04 PM

I'm not going to do it. Tennessee Guns IIRC did that to some PPS43 pistols , but they had to get the ATF to cut them a letter before they were allowed to manufacture for sale or sell them as a pistol.

If you mount a stock that receiver ceases to be a pistol. If you did want to build up a kit with the stock folded as a pistol, you better get an ATF approval letter before sending that in to the DOJ for a ruling.

:iagree:

correct, manufacturers have gotten ATF letters stating that a stock could be permanently attached in a manner that it could not be used to "fire from the shoulder" and not be considered a rifle, or an SBR.

its not the presence of the stock, it is being "designed to be fired from the shoulder" that triggers rifle status. And yes, get your own ATF letter before you do this yourself.

I posted this reply on a very recent thread asking the same question:

"there are pistol builds of historic guns which have been built with the folding stock permanent folded closed such as IO's MP-38C pistol: http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=12

In order for this to be legal, a sample has to be submitted by the manufacturer to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) of the BATF for approval. In certain instances it may be approved.

On a home-built AK pistol, don't do it. You could find yourself on the wrong side of Federal NFA laws before you know it."

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 6:10 PM
I posted this reply on a very recent thread asking the same question:

"there are pistol builds of historic guns which have been built with the folding stock permanent folded closed such as IO's MP-38C pistol: http://www.royaltigerimports.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=35&category_id=12

In order for this to be legal, a sample has to be submitted by the manufacturer to the Firearms Technology Branch (FTB) of the BATF for approval. In certain instances it may be approved.

On a home-built AK pistol, don't do it. You could find yourself on the wrong side of Federal NFA laws before you know it."

Even if you get the OK from the Feds, you would need to submit papers with the DOJ to see what they think of it too.

ke6guj
09-24-2010, 6:21 PM
Even if you get the OK from the Feds, you would need to submit papers with the DOJ to see what they think of it too.so, would you ask CADOJ if the Rossi Ranch Hand or the IO MP-38C pistol is an SBR before you bought on in a roster-exempt non-AW config? Or would you just rely on the federal "handgun" designation on those?

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 6:38 PM
so, would you ask CADOJ if the Rossi Ranch Hand or the IO MP-38C pistol is an SBR before you bought on in a roster-exempt non-AW config? Or would you just rely on the federal "handgun" designation on those?

I'm talking about building Jack. I'm to broke to buy anything more then food diapers and clothes.

ke6guj
09-24-2010, 6:41 PM
I'm talking about building Jack. I'm to broke to buy anything more then food diapers and clothes.

just trying to figure out if you see a difference when ATF issues IO a letter stating that their desgin is a pistol, and you building the "exact" same thing with your own letter.

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 6:50 PM
just trying to figure out if you see a difference when ATF issues IO a letter stating that their desgin is a pistol, and you building the "exact" same thing with your own letter.

Yes there is a difference. That letter was issued to IO for that gun for sale to the public. The letter is only good for them on that gun. While it may show a precedent towards that type of pistol build, I would want one of my own because it would be for a different type of gun with a completely different folding stock system.

ke6guj
09-24-2010, 6:58 PM
Yes there is a difference. That letter was issued to IO for that gun for sale to the public. The letter is only good for them on that gun. While it may show a precedent towards that type of pistol build, I would want one of my own because it would be for a different type of gun with a completely different folding stock system.I did mention you having your own letter stating that your specific build would be classified as a pistol by ATF.

You said that "Even if you get the OK from the Feds, you would need to submit papers with the DOJ to see what they think of it too". I read that as you getting your own letter from ATF stating that it wasn't an SBR. At that point, what is the difference between your "pistol with a folded stock welded shut", whether it be an MP-38C, AK folder, mini-uzi, etc, and that of one of the exact same type made by an 07FFL?

bigthaiboy
09-24-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes there is a difference. That letter was issued to IO for that gun for sale to the public. The letter is only good for them on that gun. While it may show a precedent towards that type of pistol build, I would want one of my own because it would be for a different type of gun with a completely different folding stock system.

Agreed, also, because it is a gun of historical interest, I am sure this one of the reasons the ATF would allow it, to keep it as historically "correct" as possible, without having to go the 16" barrel semi-auto rifle route (which would be sacrilege on a MP-38). I am sure the method used to fix the stock to the MP-38C was stringently inspected by the FTB.

SJgunguy24
09-24-2010, 11:50 PM
I did mention you having your own letter stating that your specific build would be classified as a pistol by ATF.

You said that "Even if you get the OK from the Feds, you would need to submit papers with the DOJ to see what they think of it too". I read that as you getting your own letter from ATF stating that it wasn't an SBR. At that point, what is the difference between your "pistol with a folded stock welded shut", whether it be an MP-38C, AK folder, mini-uzi, etc, and that of one of the exact same type made by an 07FFL?

Because I've never seen anybody weld a folding stock on an AK to at least keep the look of a true Krink.

Agreed, also, because it is a gun of historical interest, I am sure this one of the reasons the ATF would allow it, to keep it as historically "correct" as possible, without having to go the 16" barrel semi-auto rifle route (which would be sacrilege on a MP-38). I am sure the method used to fix the stock to the MP-38C was stringently inspected by the FTB.

Also, they like to change their rulings on which way the wind blows, but if you have a letter with your name and the ruling at that time. That is insurance and should keep you out of prison.

13204u
09-25-2010, 9:03 AM
FYI, I've never seen a Romanian converted krink commercially available. It is by far one of the cheapest krinks compared to the Russian, Bulgarian, Yugoslavian and polish varieties that start around $700 just for the parts kits.

My Champion AIMR clone after I saw 69mach1's. Pistol's are fun to shoot...but this is more fun!

What barrel extension is that?

munkeeboi
09-25-2010, 11:17 AM
It was custom made 4 slot extended flash hider. He can make most anything you want out of the blank.

http://ak47brakes.ricksmuzzlebrakesandgunstuff.com/index.htm

Tre(y)13
09-25-2010, 3:09 PM
that extension is sick!

SJGUN: so would i be able to buy a romy kit with no barrel or reciever..buy the reciever obviously and then somehow track down a draco barrel, assemble, add an extension and be all good?

Cokebottle
09-25-2010, 3:14 PM
assemble, add an extension and be all good?
It will be a little more involved than that... Generally not recommended for a first build.

First homebuild should be a matching-parts kit with barrel. This will generally prevent any issues with headspacing.

Correcting headspacing on an AK is a matter of redrilling for an oversize barrel pin.... you don't get many chances to get it right before you're looking for a new barrel and trunnion.

Tre(y)13
09-25-2010, 3:50 PM
you don't get many chances to get it right before you're looking for a new barrel and trunnion.

thats where confidence in my abilities comes in :)

SJgunguy24
09-26-2010, 2:19 AM
that extension is sick!

SJGUN: so would i be able to buy a romy kit with no barrel or reciever..buy the reciever obviously and then somehow track down a draco barrel, assemble, add an extension and be all good?

What look are you going for?

If this is what your after then buy a Draco, get a barrel extension, and whatever type of stock you want (with trunnion) and swap them out.

I could make one with the kit like your talking about but in the end it's cheaper to modify the pistol.
Romy kit-100$
NDS receiver 60-100$ + transfer
7.62 barrel, surplus or US-75-100$
Whatever stock and trunnion style you want-???

The barrel would be chopped, turned and threaded. Looks like the standard piston will work. The gas block/ sight combo would be fabricated from the parts supplied. The cost of welding that stuff up, the barrel work, and building that gun is gonna make a Draco + mods a better option if your budget is tight.

RLTW
09-26-2010, 10:56 AM

Some have touched on the leaglity issues of a pistol being converted into a Rifle or a SBR.

Regardless of your decision think of this...

A barrel extension does nothing for the accuracy down range. A Draco barrel is between 11.5 to 12.5 depending on where you buy it.

Looking for down range accuracy for a Draco don't think you are going to be good past 100-150 m. (I have one and yes I can hit steel at 150 but due to grip it isn't consistent)

A typical AK 47 16 inch barrel is accurate to 300m on Semi.

For the cost for AK"s buy your Draco, and a typical AK 47 or Saiga and just have fun.

Of course if we lived in a free state we could have SBR and SBS after paying the ATF tax stamp.