PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Defense Rear Sight Questions

doubledgarage
09-23-2010, 7:33 PM
I have a Daniel Defense DDM4 and I have some questions regarding the rear sights. I'm completely new with rifles so please bear with me if I'm asking stupid questions!

1.) What do the circled red numbers represent? Do they represent like 1 inch, 2 inch, etc... or just arbitrary number to keep track of your adjustment?

http://www.doubledgarage.com/pictures/IMG_8621_2.jpg

2.) One of my buddies (in the Marines) is going to help me sight in my rifle because I was just struggling with mine. He's not too familiar with my rear sight because it only adjusts left & right. I think he's used to these sights where they go left, right, up, down.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/628.jpg

He's been recommending that I pick something up like the above (left/right/up/down). Is this necessary? If so, I rather pick one up that is flip-up as I like to get an EOTech later (and have rear iron sights as backup). Do they make a flip-up that can be adjusted left/right/up/down? Or perhaps something like this.

http://www.riflegear.com/images/Product/large/630.jpg

Any additional comments would be greatly appreciated!

Linus
09-23-2010, 7:43 PM
I'm pretty sure they are increments of 100yds, so 2 would be 200yds, 3 for 300yds, 4 fo 400 and so on. Assuming you sight it in correctly and its calibrated right, just like a carry handle.

doubledgarage
09-23-2010, 7:44 PM
I'm pretty sure they are increments of 100yds, so 2 would be 200yds, 3 for 300yds, 4 fo 400 and so on. Assuming you sight it in correctly and its calibrated right, just like a carry handle.

When you rotate that wheel, it moves the sight left/right. Isn't 100 yards left/right pretty extreme? And thanks!

tomd1584
09-23-2010, 7:51 PM

No.

one click left or right on a 16" barrel for the A1 adjustment is approx 3/8" @ 25 meters.

The Daniel Defense is a great rear sight, but it only has adjustments for windage, not elevation. I dont believe anyone makes a flip up with both elevation/windage adjustments.

doubledgarage
09-23-2010, 7:58 PM
No.

one click left or right on a 16" barrel for the A1 adjustment is approx 3/8" @ 25 meters.

The Daniel Defense is a great rear sight, but it only has adjustments for windage, not elevation. I dont believe anyone makes a flip up with both elevation/windage adjustments.

My Marine friend says elevation adjustment is necessary. Is that true? Or he's unfamiliar with windage adjustment only and we can get it working/zeroed with windage adjustment only?

RobT2K
09-23-2010, 7:58 PM
I don't know what the numbers are for but that sight is similar to an A1 sight but with A2 peeps. Maybe look up info for A1 sights. My brother has that one and it was kinda hard to rotate without the A1 sight tool.

RobT2K
09-23-2010, 8:01 PM
Oh yeah I recommend the LMT sight you showed earlier. I have it and its very well made.

tomd1584
09-23-2010, 8:03 PM
My Marine friend says elevation adjustment is necessary. Is that true? Or he's unfamiliar with windage adjustment only and we can get it working/zeroed with windage adjustment only?

Necessary? No.

here is a good read:
http://ar15zeroing.com/

you can zero a weapon perfectly fine with a rear sight windage only. you use the front sight post for elevation, thats what its for.

doubledgarage
09-23-2010, 8:15 PM
I don't know what the numbers are for but that sight is similar to an A1 sight but with A2 peeps. Maybe look up info for A1 sights. My brother has that one and it was kinda hard to rotate without the A1 sight tool.

I poked the pin in with a .223 and wasn't too hard to rotate! However, I'm going to run out to RifleGear this weekend to pick up the front sight adjustment tool.

I'm in LA. Is there any shop in LA that sells the front sight adjustment tool? Driving to RifleGear is pretty far lol.

Necessary? No.

here is a good read:
http://ar15zeroing.com/

you can zero a weapon perfectly fine with a rear sight windage only. you use the front sight post for elevation, thats what its for.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. And thanks for the reference!

tomd1584
09-23-2010, 8:33 PM
I poked the pin in with a .223 and wasn't too hard to rotate! However, I'm going to run out to RifleGear this weekend to pick up the front sight adjustment tool.

I'm in LA. Is there any shop in LA that sells the front sight adjustment tool? Driving to RifleGear is pretty far lol.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for. And thanks for the reference!

save your money and use a bullet. If you really want one, try Addax Tactical in San Fernando.

doubledgarage
09-23-2010, 11:33 PM
save your money and use a bullet. If you really want one, try Addax Tactical in San Fernando.

awesome! they're a lot closer to me than riflegear! thanks!!!