PDA

View Full Version : Sonora + SierraApril + Rapid Fire + Hakim = Win!

oaklander
09-23-2010, 4:04 PM
So this morning me and SierraApril were feeling a little overwhelmed by all the "wedding planning" (we have a wedding coming up - that's why I am living in Sonora now and not Oakland).

Then I came up with the fairly awesome idea to go shooting!

We know about a place near here on an isolated mountain road, but we weren't too sure about the local laws - so we called the local Sheriff's Office to get some guidance. Rather than "ball me out" about evil guns, they were actually super helpful, and outlined the very basic rules around here.

Then they apologetically told me that if someone complained, that they might have to send someone out to make sure were "being safe," and that was it. Like I said above, no lectures about "evil guns," no nothing.

It was VERY different than Oakland (they would have probably sent someone out to arrest me for even mentioning guns).

Refreshing!!!

Anyways, we then went down to the local gun shop (which is also a beer/wine bar!) and bought some ammo. Sierra actually knows both of the owners, so that was nice too. . .

Then we drove up to our secret spot, and proceeded to fire off quite a bit of 8mm and 45ACP. When we were done, we were both totally relaxed, and we went and got some pizza, and now we are watching TV and getting ready to take a nap.

This could not have been a more excellent day!

Here's a vid of me doing some rapid fire on the Hakim. I did hit the target, but I admit that my right arm is actually a little high - but it was fun anyways!!!! I'll just have to work on my shooting stance a bit. . .

http://www.youtube.com/v/Zphp76FQ-_o

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zphp76FQ-_o&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Zphp76FQ-_o&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

Here's a pic of Sierra and her 24/47 - note the awesome trigger discipline! And the big smile - we are both happy campers!!!

http://oi52.tinypic.com/25i8cib.jpg

supermario
09-23-2010, 5:20 PM
Its always fun and cool when your with your woman at the range. I take my wife out shooting all the time. We get a babysitter for the day and relax while blasting away. :D

paradox
09-23-2010, 5:38 PM
Were you up on Big Hill? I thought they shut that range down.

oaklander
09-23-2010, 7:10 PM
Yup. I heard that too. Did not see any signs saying it was closed. Heard it was supposed to be shut down due to people leaving trash. We took everything out and cleaned up a few cans that someone else left.

Folks, please keep our ranges clean!

trashman
09-23-2010, 7:42 PM
Awesome! And holy crap that Hakim is loud....

--Neill

Saigon1965
09-23-2010, 8:03 PM
Awesome Hakim shooting Oak - I know you have some MG13 mags laying around - You need to do the mag conversion -

tomd1584
09-23-2010, 8:09 PM
looks like a great time!

QuarterBoreGunner
09-23-2010, 8:21 PM
Wait, sidebar please; you're not leaving *me* to defend Oakland, are you?

odysseus
09-23-2010, 8:26 PM
Niiice...

Ksmash01
09-23-2010, 8:28 PM
Wait, sidebar please; you're not leaving *me* to defend Oakland, are you?

I got your back, no matter your political affiliation. Oakland is gonna need a lot of defending if Perata gets elected Mayor...I know better to vote for that guy. Lord help us if he gets elected.

odysseus
09-23-2010, 8:31 PM
I got your back, no matter your political affiliation. Oakland is gonna need a lot of defending if Perata gets elected Mayor...I know better to vote for that guy. Lord help us if he gets elected.

The "Don" Perata. The guy needed to be tarred and feathered back in Alameda a long time ago.

QuarterBoreGunner
09-23-2010, 8:32 PM

Awesome. The Oakland Disassociated Militia soldiers on.

paradox
09-24-2010, 5:08 AM
Yup. I heard that too. Did not see any signs saying it was closed. Heard it was supposed to be shut down due to people leaving trash. We took everything out and cleaned up a few cans that someone else left.

Folks, please keep our ranges clean!

It was absolutely filthy for a while there: shot up TVs, washing machines, the works. It was cleaned up a few years ago and they installed a bunch of no shooting signs. The rednecks must've taken those down. I'm glad people are using the range again and keeping it clean, I used to shoot there all the time.

Bobula
09-24-2010, 5:26 AM
Oaklander, hit me up next time! I'm like 30 miles up 49 from you! I'll be hitting up some BLM land in Pioneer, cA next week. PM me.

WokMaster1
09-24-2010, 6:52 AM
You look good Oak. Shorts, sandals & all:D

Are you gonna get a CCW?

evidens83
09-24-2010, 6:56 AM
Nice!

smle-man
09-24-2010, 7:37 AM
I won an action rifle match once with a Hakim v. Detachable magazine rifles. The rules stipulated a magazine change every 10 rounds and I could load 10 rounds as fast as the others could change magazines. The Hakim's zero recoil was a major advantage and that many of the competitors couldn't hit the steel when stressed helped too!

pennys dad
09-24-2010, 7:59 AM
Wow, the Hakim was awesome and looks like a nice day out

Ksmash01
09-24-2010, 8:42 AM
The "Don" Perata. The guy needed to be tarred and feathered back in Alameda a long time ago.

Agreed. I met the guy when I was in HS. All I could think about is how my textbooks were from the 70's and 80's, and he's at the podium telling students to make the best of our education. I got kicked out of the auditorium when I jumped up and said " We need new textbooks.....not a new football field, f*$^er."

I was shocked when my Asst. Principal gave me a high five....I guess I wasn't the only one who didn't like him :D

Awesome. The Oakland Disassociated Militia soldiers on.

Onward towards our unofficial destination......and the official one...freedom for gun owners.

oaklander
09-24-2010, 10:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice words and thoughts!

Yes, the Hakim shoots awesome - pretty much ZERO muzzle rise with that LOUD MB. If I can do the conversion to use my old MG mags, that would be an awesome Zombie Defense Gun!!!

LOL

It's also nice to know that there a bunch of us up here - I was missing you guys!!!

I'll probably be having ONE MORE party at the old Oakland house - would be nice if everyone could make it - I will be giving away a bunch of stuff that I don't want to move, etc. . .

Will post details, etc. . . in a another thread.

AND once me and Sierra get more settled in up here - we will start having "BBQ's in the Hills."

:D

oaklander
09-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Yup!!!!

You look good Oak. Shorts, sandals & all:D

Are you gonna get a CCW?

oaklander
09-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Will do! I also have to say that I LOVE it out here!

Guns are just part of life up here in the Sierras. Everyone's got 'em, and everyone uses them for hunting, HD, and varmint control.

We were at that shooting spot for several hours yesterday, and no Sheriffs appeared, it was just not a big deal.

The other thing that is interesting is that Sierra and I went and picked up some pizza after we went shooting - we certainly locked our vehicle for the five minutes we were in the pizza place, but we did not worry for even a second about the guns getting stolen out of it. Car break-ins are rare up here - seems like most of the crime involves DV, isolated meth labs, and pot growing ops.

There is simply not too much petty property crime up here. . . It's really nice leaving the house, and knowing that your crap will still be there when you get back!!!!

Oaklander, hit me up next time! I'm like 30 miles up 49 from you! I'll be hitting up some BLM land in Pioneer, cA next week. PM me.

Lone_Gunman
09-24-2010, 10:59 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice words and thoughts!

Yes, the Hakim shoots awesome - pretty much ZERO muzzle rise with that LOUD MB. If I can do the conversion to use my old MG mags, that would be an awesome Zombie Defense Gun!!!

LOL

It's also nice to know that there a bunch of us up here - I was missing you guys!!!

I'll probably be having ONE MORE party at the old Oakland house - would be nice if everyone could make it - I will be giving away a bunch of stuff that I don't want to move, etc. . .

Will post details, etc. . . in a another thread.

AND once me and Sierra get more settled in up here - we will start having "BBQ's in the Hills."

I might actually make it out to one of those. I'm in Galt so it's only about an hour and 15 minutes to Sonora.

paradox
09-24-2010, 12:17 PM
The other thing that is interesting is that Sierra and I went and picked up some pizza after we went shooting - we certainly locked our vehicle for the five minutes we were in the pizza place, but we did not worry for even a second about the guns getting stolen out of it. Car break-ins are rare up here - seems like most of the crime involves DV, isolated meth labs, and pot growing ops.

There is simply not too much petty property crime up here. . . It's really nice leaving the house, and knowing that your crap will still be there when you get back!!!!

Used to be you'd never need to lock your car or house, but things are getting more desperate, even in the hills. Read the Union Democrat news of record, lots of car burglaries and vacation cabins getting hit. There is also some damn funny calls too, most funny section of the paper.

Tuolumne County is a nice place, just don't act like a flatlander ;)

oaklander
09-24-2010, 1:03 PM
LOL - Darn Flatlanders!

The first time time I heard that phrase was a couple of weeks ago - it sums up a lot of stuff!!!

Luckily, I grew up in a small semi-rural town, and my folks are actually from the hills of Georgia - so I have some "street cred" up here.

:)

Seems like a lot of folks wear cowboy boots, and I actually USED to wear them back when I was living in the High Desert working as a bouncer - so I might just have to pick some up. . .

I've been talking with Sierra about her letting me ride her horse, but it's thrown her a couple of times, and is probably a little too spicy for a new rider like me. Between her and her sister and brother, they have about 5 or so - but they are all kind of high strung.

AND, it looks like we get a little snow a few hundred feet above the elevation where I am living now - so I might just have to get a 4-wheel drive!!!

I actually learned to drive on the "red clay" dirt roads in North Georgia, so the dirt roads around here (and where many of Sierra's relatives live) are not a problem.

We actually took a back way to one of her relatives' houses last night - it was a fairly intense, vertical, and rain-rutted private dirt road, and there were many nice little technical sections where I got to show off my ability to pick a good line, and not lose traction (since you don't want to mess up someone's private dirt road - it's a BIG no-no here).

I probably will NOT start listening to much country - since I hate "New Country" with a passion. Probably won't chew much tobacco either - my grand dad did it - and it always grossed me out!

It's really nice to see Buicks WITHOUT f-in 26 inch wheels. . .

Used to be you'd never need to lock your car or house, but things are getting more desperate, even in the hills. Read the Union Democrat news of record, lots of car burglaries and vacation cabins getting hit. There is also some damn funny calls too, most funny section of the paper.

Tuolumne County is a nice place, just don't act like a flatlander ;)

Lone_Gunman
09-24-2010, 1:16 PM
LOL - Darn Flatlanders!...

I probably will NOT start listening to much country - since I hate "New Country" with a passion.

Check out The Devil Makes Three. Especially stuff from their first album.

vedgTokXj04
IiHlAsr8r5A

That should give you some more cred up there in the hills.

paradox
09-24-2010, 1:28 PM
I bet more people listen to classic rock than country in Tuolumne County (then there is the Lawrence Welk grey hairs, but that ain't music). Cowboy boots are optional, but if you sport them, they better be dusty and have **** in the seams.

Stay away from the dive bars, especially the Iron Horse (aka Iron Lung), nothing good happens there. If you're out driving past 11pm realize that the only other people on the road are cops and drunks. Watch for deer, they take out many cars every year (totaled one of mine). Diamondback makes the best burgers you'll find anywhere, make sure to try their sweet potato fries. Snow around here is heavy and wet and should be respected, both driving on it and shoveling it. Be prepared for power outages. Internet connectivity is hit or miss. But you can drink a beer while filling out your 4473 at the Sportsman (do they still have a flat $25 transfer fee per transaction?). We have several good playhouses if live theater strikes your fancy. We used to have the best sushi place in the world until it burned down due to insurance fraud by the neighboring Indian restaurant, now the only sushi place left in town is naaasty. Use this indian summer to hike up to God's bath and go swimming. Oh, and highway 108 over the pass is the prettiest road in the world!

oaklander
09-24-2010, 1:30 PM
Good stuff! Upright Bass FTW!!!

Just fanned them on FB - now getting ready to download some MP3's into my HTC. . .

OK - just geeked out a bit, just now.

Got local cell phone - amazingly, they have EVDO everywhere, and it looks like G3 is rolling out soon in most areas. It's kind of strange in a way, even though it's real country up here, everyone is SUPER connected with technology - which makes sense, in a way. . .

Kind of like my experience in Oakland, there are stereotypes (some of which are true) and then there are things that just surprise you (like me learning that Oaklanders, as a group are 99 percent very friendly and outgoing folks).

Check out The Devil Makes Three. Especially stuff from their first album.

That should give you some more cred up there in the hills.

oaklander
09-24-2010, 1:40 PM
Thanks P!!!

Yes, me and Sierra went over to Zane's one time - did not seem too bad, but not our crowd. Yup - you nailed it with the 5.0 situation - not like Oakland where you have to basically run over a cop to get a ticket - here they actually enforce traffic laws - especially late at night!!!

Yup - deer everywhere - and it's NEVER just one - there's always another Bambi just itching to die. . .

Me and Sierra had our first date at Diamondback - we LOVE that place!!!

We are actually right near Columbia - and we want to check out the nice playhouse there. . .

Another thing that I have noticed is that there are a LOT of really good restaurants here - more than you would expect - probably due to tourist trade. . .

Where I am at right now - internet SUCKS - bad satellite (due to trees), no DSL (too far from CO), no cable - only real options are dialup and T1 and aircard. Even T1's are expensive up here (Bay Area = $200/mo), here they are about 450/mo. My air card is $60, and gets over a meg down - BUT I have to pay a lot if I go over 5 gigs/mo.

EDIT - there is another "radio internet" option out here - and we are in line of sight from antenna - but those darn trees cut the signal down to like 50 DB, which is way below anything that would work.

I also have a phone (which supposedly can't be tethered), BUT I found a way to do it (don't tell anyone) - but even that is capped at 5 gigs/mo.

So what I am doing for the time is switching back and forth between phone and air card, watching my limits, to make sure I don't go over 5 gigs on either one.

I can't complain, it's not like I'm the Donner Party or anything - we have it so easy these days!!!

Heard about the sushi place - funny how everyone up here knows the same stories - really is a small town!!!

I bet more people listen to classic rock than country in Tuolumne County (then there is the Lawrence Welk grey hairs, but that ain't music). Cowboy boots are optional, but if you sport them, they better be dusty and have **** in the seams.

Stay away from the dive bars, especially the Iron Horse (aka Iron Lung), nothing good happens there. If you're out driving past 11pm realize that the only other people on the road are cops and drunks. Watch for deer, they take out many cars every year (totaled one of mine). Diamondback makes the best burgers you'll find anywhere, make sure to try their sweet potato fries. Snow around here is heavy and wet and should be respected, both driving on it and shoveling it. Be prepared for power outages. Internet connectivity is hit or miss. But you can drink a beer while filling out your 4473 at the Sportsman (do they still have a flat $25 transfer fee per transaction?). We have several good playhouses if live theater strikes your fancy. We used to have the best sushi place in the world until it burned down due to insurance fraud by the neighboring Indian restaurant, now the only sushi place left in town is naaasty. Use this indian summer to hike up to God's bath and go swimming. Oh, and highway 108 over the pass is the prettiest road in the world!

paradox
09-24-2010, 1:59 PM
Oh, Columbia. That's a fun area, lots of shall we say interesting folks out there. If you've got a lazy afternoon, drive Italian bar road up to Twain Harte. Now that is backwoods, usually at least one person a year dies from falling off the cliff while drunk-peeing off the road :rolleyes:

The poison oak festival is worth checking out at least once, and the Saint Charles is actually a pretty decent dive bar all things considered.

If you've got the spare time, I recommend taking some field biology and field geology classes from Columbia College, the professors are great and you'll learn more than you thought existed about your new home.

Don't buy a house built by a Hatler and keep your brush down cause fire is our natural disaster.

Did Sierra graduate from SHS? When?

gmcal
09-24-2010, 2:54 PM
You're close enough for me to make it to a BBQ now. Weaponstrainingschool.com does ccw training near you. The football game vs Oakdale use to be pretty big up there. Don't know if it still is.

oaklander
09-24-2010, 4:19 PM
Thanks P for the good intel!!!

:)

SA actually went to a private school - that's probably why she is smarter than I am. . .

LOL

She's been taking me around the County - showing me all the cool stuff - it's like a different (and much nicer) state!!!

Pretty much all of her brothers and sisters live in houses built my her dad and brothers - I guess that's the way it's done out here - people are real self sufficient!!!

Nice change. . .

Oh, Columbia. That's a fun area, lots of shall we say interesting folks out there. If you've got a lazy afternoon, drive Italian bar road up to Twain Harte. Now that is backwoods, usually at least one person a year dies from falling off the cliff while drunk-peeing off the road :rolleyes:

The poison oak festival is worth checking out at least once, and the Saint Charles is actually a pretty decent dive bar all things considered.

If you've got the spare time, I recommend taking some field biology and field geology classes from Columbia College, the professors are great and you'll learn more than you thought existed about your new home.

Don't buy a house built by a Hatler and keep your brush down cause fire is our natural disaster.

Did Sierra graduate from SHS? When?

oaklander
09-24-2010, 9:20 PM
Sierra just now told me that she actually knows the guy who runs Weaponstrainingschool.com.

That is full of WIN.

Now, if I can just get that LCR that I've always wanted!!!

You're close enough for me to make it to a BBQ now. Weaponstrainingschool.com does ccw training near you. The football game vs Oakdale use to be pretty big up there. Don't know if it still is.

paradox
09-25-2010, 6:07 AM
SA actually went to a private school - that's probably why she is smarter than I am. . .

Motherload Christian or someplace out of county?

Oh, another fun factoid: the Columbia City Hotel in Columbia state park is heavily haunted. At least a half dozen active ghosts hang around there. They knock pans off the rack when running through the kitchen wall, a child ghost steals toys from child guests then the toy appears months later in the middle of the room, they lock people in rooms, they rearrange furniture into towers, crazy stuff. I guess that happens when a building has such a long troubled history (for instance, the kid ghost was killed when a bar fight downstairs led to someone shooting through the ceiling into the second story, killing the kid).

Pinto
09-25-2010, 6:57 AM
Welcome to the neighborhood, Oak. I'm up the road a piece - between Angel's and Copper - but around here that's neighbors. It is a "different" lifestyle - just remember not to be a hurry for anything.

John & Tami @ WTS run a first class school - took my CCW and a couple of pistol courses from them. They're developing a very nice training range on a turkey ranch out by J59 & Red Hills Road. Last I heard, they had put in a 600m rifle range.

oaklander
09-25-2010, 9:55 AM
Thanks everyone for all the awesome information! Me and Sierra really appreciate all the good tips and info!!!

Even though she's grown up here, she's still learning some really neat stuff about the area! And I am too, obviously!!!!!

LOL

We are actually off to Murphys in a bit, gonna do some shopping and pick up some wine from Hatcher Winery (Sierra is a club member).

Spent the morning at the Farmer's Market downtown. . .

Liking it here very much. At this rate, I might have to run for local office, just to make sure the idiots from the rest of the state don't come here and f things up too much.

EDIT: just emailed the City Administrator to find out about the election process for council members. . .

paradox
09-25-2010, 10:04 AM
Liking it here very much. At this rate, I might have to run for local office, just to make sure the idiots from the rest of the state don't come here and f things up too much.

Board of Supervisors meets Tuesday morning. Spend a year going for the first couple of hours, chat with the regulars and you might have a chance.

You're still a flatlander though... ;)

oaklander
09-25-2010, 10:39 AM
LOL - I might *seem* like a flatlander!!!!

But my family is from the part of Georgia where they filmed Deliverance. . .

(Up near Tallula Falls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliverance).

They still have "hill people" up there who run moonshine, make their living by selling junk, and only "come down" to buy staples like flower and sugar and caning supplies.

My great grandmother never did have running water. . . They built their house around a well, and got their drinking and cooking water by lowering a large cup down into the well in the kitchen. . .

My great-great grandfather fought in the War of Northern Aggression, and described the burning of Atlanta to my grandad, who then told the story to me. . .

Ha!

This is like Manhattan compared to where my roots are!!!! There is a fricken Starbucks here!!!!

;)

Board of Supervisors meets Tuesday morning. Spend a year going for the first couple of hours, chat with the regulars and you might have a chance.

You're still a flatlander though... ;)

elrcastor
09-25-2010, 5:03 PM
LOL - I might *seem* like a flatlander!!!!

But my family is from the part of Georgia where they filmed Deliverance. . .

(Up near Tallula Falls - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deliverance).

They still have "hill people" up there who run moonshine, make their living by selling junk, and only "come down" to buy staples like flower and sugar and caning supplies.

My great grandmother never did have running water. . . They built their house around a well, and got their drinking and cooking water by lowering a large cup down into the well in the kitchen. . .

My great-great grandfather fought in the War of Northern Aggression, and described the burning of Atlanta to my grandad, who then told the story to me. . .

Ha!

This is like Manhattan compared to where my roots are!!!! There is a fricken Starbucks here!!!!

;)

:eek: Starbucks :eek:

That's the big time!! Is there more than 1?

Barabas
09-25-2010, 6:22 PM
I love that area. I spent a lot of time chasing hill girls when I was a yute. Did a bunch of shooting up at Red Hill too, which should date me pretty well.

I still try to make it down to the playhouse in Columbia once a year. The docents at the park are a pretty neat bunch, too. There's still quite a bit of color to be found in open waters up there, gold and rainbow. There's some good riding up there, motorcycles and horses. I'd love to end up there when I retire for good. Congrats!

Bigtwin
09-25-2010, 6:43 PM
Good for you Oaklander, it may be a diferent lifestyle, but it can be a better one! Learn to realax a bit and enjoy the little things(they are missing from most cities)!
I grew up in the hills a bit north of you and miss it every day.....unfortunatly I can't make the money (as of yet) to return....but, I will even if it kills me!

Good luck/ best wishes to you and your soon to be bride!