PDA

View Full Version : MSAR E4 in Ca?

Crawfish141
09-23-2010, 4:35 PM
Is it possible to get an MSAR E4 in Ca? What would need to be done to it to make it compliant? I'm assuming just a bullet button.

rromeo
09-23-2010, 4:44 PM
It also needs to be 30" overall. It is too short with the 16" barrel, so you either need the 20", or a long muzzle device.

gunRfun
09-23-2010, 4:54 PM
Ratworkx.com

Crawfish141
09-23-2010, 5:15 PM
It also needs to be 30" overall. It is too short with the 16" barrel, so you either need the 20", or a long muzzle device.

What's the OAL with a 20" barrel?

rromeo
09-23-2010, 5:46 PM
31 if I remember.

radd
09-23-2010, 5:48 PM
What's the OAL with a 20" barrel?

Roughly 34" OAL with factory muzzle brake.

If you want something a bit more compact, then get the 16" barrel either in the original M13 LH thread pattern or the new 1/2"-28 thread pattern (this one apparently is hard to find though). You need to add approximately 2" to the barrel to meet 30" OAL.

If you get the 16" M13 LH barrel and install my custom barrel extension and A2 flash hider, then your OAL will be 30.25"

http://www.riflegear.com/p-562-raddlock-msarsteyr-barrel-extension-3.aspx

d9yUEtHVpnw

Radd

Crawfish141
09-23-2010, 5:59 PM
Could the magazine lock be switched out for a normal mag release if I move to a free state?

straykiller
09-23-2010, 6:05 PM
It can but it will have to be removed by msar or ratworx I believe because they use a special nut on it that only msar has the tool for, but yes u can get them I just ordered one on Monday with a 18.5 inch barrel brings the overall lenght to 30 1/8 just waiting for it to arive at my local gun shop

radd
09-23-2010, 6:07 PM
Could the magazine lock be switched out for a normal mag release if I move to a free state?

Yes, you can. However, the challenge right now is removing the bolt that holds the mag catch because MSAR used a custom security bolt that requires a special tool to remove. However, I am working on a replacement so do don't have to use their security bolt tool.

My recommendation for now is buy the STG-556 (couple hundred bucks cheaper than E4, but essentially same gun) because on that rifle they use the standard Torx bolt to secure the mag catch. Then buy a spare E4 stock with no CA conversion and use it for free state.;)

Radd

radd
09-23-2010, 6:11 PM
It can but it will have to be removed by msar or ratworx I believe because they use a special nut on it that only msar has the tool for, but yes u can get them I just ordered one on Monday with a 18.5 inch barrel brings the overall lenght to 30 1/8 just waiting for it to arive at my local gun shop

Hm.... I thought with their muzzle brake on the 18.5" barrel you are still look at least 32" OAL

straykiller
09-23-2010, 6:16 PM
Possibly I'm going off what it says on the site when It gets to the shop ill try to mesure it when I'm filling out paperwork, should be there real soon

Lagduf
09-23-2010, 8:29 PM
Yes, you can. However, the challenge right now is removing the bolt that holds the mag catch because MSAR used a custom security bolt that requires a special tool to remove. However, I am working on a replacement so do don't have to use their security bolt tool.

My recommendation for now is buy the STG-556 (couple hundred bucks cheaper than E4, but essentially same gun) because on that rifle they use the standard Torx bolt to secure the mag catch. Then buy a spare E4 stock with no CA conversion and use it for free state.;)

Radd

Please make a big announcement when you develop the replacement.

I want an E4 in CA, but I want to be able to use it as it was designed when I go shooting out of state.

Table Rock Arms
09-23-2010, 9:37 PM
Roughly 34" OAL with factory muzzle brake.

If you want something a bit more compact, then get the 16" barrel either in the original M13 LH thread pattern or the new 1/2"-28 thread pattern (this one apparently is hard to find though). You need to add approximately 2" to the barrel to meet 30" OAL.

If you get the 16" M13 LH barrel and install my custom barrel extension and A2 flash hider, then your OAL will be 30.25"

http://www.riflegear.com/p-562-raddlock-msarsteyr-barrel-extension-3.aspx

d9yUEtHVpnw

Radd

I heard somewhere that to comply with California's OAL requirement that the extension or flash hider does not have to be pinned. Is that correct? I have a guy in California who would like me to transfer one to him and he says it needs to be pinned, but I thought I heard otherwise. If not, that extension would do the trick real easy.

Ryan

straykiller
09-23-2010, 9:59 PM
I heard somewhere that to comply with California's OAL requirement that the extension or flash hider does not have to be pinned. Is that correct? I have a guy in California who would like me to transfer one to him and he says it needs to be pinned, but I thought I heard otherwise. If not, that extension would do the trick real easy.

Ryan

not for overall length but if its for barrel length, as in the barrel is less than 16in by itself i believe it needs to be pinned or welded in place to lengthen the barrel, but if thebarrel is at least 16 in and ur just going for OAL then no i dont believe it does. correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure im not

Table Rock Arms
09-23-2010, 10:22 PM
not for overall length but if its for barrel length, as in the barrel is less than 16in by itself i believe it needs to be pinned or welded in place to lengthen the barrel, but if thebarrel is at least 16 in and ur just going for OAL then no i dont believe it does. correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure im not

For sure if its less than 16 then it has to be pinned as it is a federal law.

yasushi
09-24-2010, 8:12 AM
Rather than istalling a BB, why not just make a grip cover like the Solar Tac?
http://www.solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=54&categoryId=19

Crawfish141
09-24-2010, 12:07 PM
Rather than istalling a BB, why not just make a grip cover like the Solar Tac?
http://www.solartactical.com/product.sc?productId=54&categoryId=19

What about the for grip? Wouldn't that need to be removed?

zod
09-24-2010, 1:03 PM
FYI, Ratworxusa (http://www.ratworxusa.com/) is running a promo till December 15th. $200 rebate off an E4. Plus they are real cool people.

gunRfun
09-24-2010, 1:32 PM
FYI, Ratworxusa (http://www.ratworxusa.com/) is running a promo till December 15th. $200 rebate off an E4. Plus they are real cool people.

and they have a rebate 150.00 off the MSAR STG 556

komrad
10-18-2010, 2:56 PM
Can't wait. $ 200 rebate till december... Am planning to go to get one from ratworx !!