PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle Accessory Install Need Help

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 3:10 PM
I got a new break today and before I just slap it on, is where anything I need to do to prep the barrel threads? Oil, Grease, Anti Seize?

Anyone have any product recommendation.

Im am installing a FSC556 on an AR-15

foxtrotuniformlima
09-23-2010, 3:53 PM
Degrease fully with brake cleaner or something similar. Then check the orientation. Not sure if they send a crush or peel washer with it. If it is a peel washer, peel until the thing lines up. I use some red Locktite, (not a ton, just a dab) so it stays put.

stix213
09-23-2010, 4:07 PM
I got a new break today and before I just slap it on, is where anything I need to do to prep the barrel threads? Oil, Grease, Anti Seize?

Where did your gun break? Or did you get a brake?

:p

CHS
09-23-2010, 6:08 PM
Just a crush washer and you're done.

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 6:43 PM
It came with shims... not sure if that’s the same thing as a peel washer.

I’ve been told a lot of different things about BRAKE (thank you stix213) installs.

I wasn’t planning on using any Loctite, I want to be able to change them out easily.. im going to be comparing the A2 vs Surefire vs Smith Ent vs PWS

Everyone says use some type of grease on the threads for install, but no one’s saying what type? I’ve heard axle grease?

CSACANNONEER
09-23-2010, 6:46 PM
It's nice to be able to remove your MB to clean your crown once in a while.

JagerTroop
09-23-2010, 6:51 PM
It came with shims... not sure if that’s the same thing as a peel washer.

I’ve been told a lot of different things about BRAKE (thank you stix213) installs.

I wasn’t planning on using any Loctite, I want to be able to change them out easily.. im going to be comparing the A2 vs Surefire vs Smith Ent vs PWS

Everyone says use some type of grease on the threads for install, but no one’s saying what type? I’ve heard axle grease?

Yes. Peel washer = shims that it comes with. It's a washer that you can "peel" to achieve the proper orientation (up side up).

If you use a crush washer you won't need anything else... maybe a slight bit of antisieze if you want, but it's not necessary. If you use the peel washer, you may want to use a single dab of red loctite. The brake can loosen up from time to time. However, with a crush washer, it applies constant pressure, like a lock washer, so no loctite is needed.

You'll be VERY happy with the FSC556. I can't say the same for the people shooting next to you though ;)

Agro
09-23-2010, 8:34 PM
FYI in case anyone was wondering why someone may use a peel washer / shims vs using a crush washer. It seems logical that a crush washer would be the easiest, right? Any brake that is intended to have a suppressor attached to it should come with shims as those are guaranteed to be perfectly flat and so you know the brake is attached exactly straight. You cannot guarantee that with a crush washer that it would crush exactly perfect. If its a flash hider or a brake that will never have a suppressor, then crush is fine. Always check orientation.

CHS
09-23-2010, 8:54 PM
What kind of brake is it? If it's something like a Surefire, you HAVE to use the shims that come with it and take advantage of the indexing wheel. It makes it VERY easy to install the brake in two steps. Bang, that's it.

If it came with what looks like a broken up washer, that's a peel washer. It's not worth your time. Toss it and get a crush washer. Way easier to use.

ETA: Don't use grease or anti-seize compound, and don't use loctite. If it's something like a surefire or blackout, it will come with a bottle of rocset. Use that. Don't ever use loctite on a muzzle device, it's useless. If it didn't come with anything, and doesn't say to use anything in the instructions, then don't add anything.