PDA

View Full Version : "Improved" charging handles - worth it?

DavidRSA
09-23-2010, 3:24 PM
I am never sure if its just marketing when I see an item like the "BCMGUNFIGHTER" charging handle. TO me this sometimes seems like getting enhanced toenail clippers or shoelaces. The basic thing does the job just right.

Having said all that, I am a compulsive upgrade freak, probably gots lots of unnecessary items in my collection.

So - is it worth the $50 or so? Kinda hoping the answer is yes. There is one waiting for me in my bravocompanyusa shopping cart....

nicoroshi
09-23-2010, 3:28 PM
First question:
What is special about it other than the name?

The only thing I spend money on when it come to a charging handle is the Badger Tac-latch mainly because it makes the charging handle easier to use with optics.

If it doesn't serve a purpose (a useful purpose) than it's not worth the extra money IMHO.

pacrimguru
09-23-2010, 3:43 PM
the BCM gunfighter is totally worth it. do it.

OHW
09-23-2010, 3:43 PM
First thing I touch before a shot is fired, the charging handle.

Very solid feel. No coin thin blade that gets lost in glove padding or finger joint groove. There is a paddle of various sizes ,(mine is medium or mod 4),all are vast improvments. When pulled back the solid rear of the lever is noticable and worth getting for that alone.

For a downside As the rifle sling carrys the larger button is noticablly uncomfortable. Maybe the small version on will be on my future carry rifles. There will alway be the vltor on all of "em.

pacrimguru
09-23-2010, 3:45 PM
i have the mod 4 version on most all of my ar's. i got them before the mod 5's came out. i'd say go with mod 5 or 4, but either way you can't lose. they are totally worth it.

gvbsat
09-23-2010, 3:50 PM
I would say yes. When I was finished building my AR, and was function checking it, the charging handle got caught on my jacket when the BCG was held back by the bolt catch, it bent it just so slight, but was enough to stop the BCG from going into battery. A quick switch with a spare charging handle I had and it fixed the issue. I could see a slight bend in the old CH as well. I really didn't snag it very bad either.

Peter W Bush
09-23-2010, 3:51 PM
My LMT has a tac-latch and my Colt has a stock charging handle. They both feel good...

$P-Ritch$
09-23-2010, 3:53 PM
I have not had it happen to me yet, but charging handles can break. The standard design puts all the pressure on that little weak roll pin. The gunfighter remedies that problem by adding metal stoppers to the back of the blade to distribute the pressure evenly. Also, as another poster stated, it gives a much more solid and positive feel when charging the rifle with an extended latch. I say you probably won't regret it if you got one.

Rekrab
09-23-2010, 3:55 PM
My charging handle almost never gets touched when I'm at the range. I use it once right before I fire my first shot, and then I only use it again if I closed the bolt for some reason. Am I missing something here?

JJ1911
09-23-2010, 4:02 PM
The ability to charge the gun one handed, keeping primary hand on the FCG.

thefiringline
09-23-2010, 4:07 PM

Damn, you beat me to it. I was trying to find a video but can't.

Grayblue
09-23-2010, 4:55 PM
The narrow charging handle lock on a pin hinge is not the most favorable design points of AR-15.

Now that some people have found it more convenient to charge the bolt by maintaining the gun more close to ready position and pulling on the charging handle by support hand by gripping the charge handle on the left side only, charging handles like BCMGUNFIGHTER is more convenient for that.

BCM manufacturer site has more detailed info on that.

norcal77
09-23-2010, 5:22 PM
I'd get it..I'm actually looking at changing the one on my rifle also, seems kind of flimsy.

KaLiFORNIA
09-23-2010, 5:35 PM
Ive never used extended handled charging handle, ran accross the BCM gunfighter and.... VERY glad i got it, very solid, positive feel, and it says "BCM gunfighter" on it LOL but seriously its not very expensive, and its gtg

Booshanky
09-23-2010, 5:46 PM
I have a gunfighter on mine and it's super nice. I like the larger latch mostly, but it certainly does feel like a much better built item.

Jeffy
09-23-2010, 5:52 PM
$20 for a charge handle + $20 for better latch = +/- $40. $44 for a BCM seems a minimal price to pay.

I say, why not.

stag6.8
09-23-2010, 5:58 PM
its well worth the money ...It works great if you combine it with a magpul battery assist lever....they work hand in hand I have the one In mod 3.

DavidRSA
09-23-2010, 5:58 PM
Done. Ordering one now. Damn you guys!!! No wonder I am not saving any more.

!@#$
09-23-2010, 6:32 PM

never had a problem doing that with the regular charging handle.

mlaines
09-23-2010, 7:18 PM
I have the medium and large. Like them both but like the large even better. Its well worth it especially if you have optics.

tomd1584
09-23-2010, 7:23 PM
how bout the best of both worlds. A GUNFIGHTER w/Mod 4 latch, but a "preproduction" model.

$24.95

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCMGUNFIGHTER-Charging-Handle-GFH-Mod-4-Preprod-p/bcm%20gfh%20mod%204%20556%201st%20preprod.htm

"We have a small amount of preproduction versions of the BCMGUNFIGHTER™ Charging Handle. They are all with the Mod 4 (Medium) latch.
These do not have laser markings on the top of the handle. They are marked Pre-Production on the bottom side of the handle.

They are mechanically the same as current BCMGUNFIGHTER™ production, with one exception. The machined cut out on the handle to accept the latch is cut too close to the roll pin. Primarily a cosmetic issue revised for retail production. All prototype were machined that way with zero failures, as the roll pin does not receive the same stress on a BCMGUNFIGHTER™ as a standard GI charging handle and latch.
These do carry the same warrenty as all BCMGUNFIGHTERs.

However we only recommend these for use on training rifles."

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/v/vspfiles/photos/BCM%20GFH%20Mod%204%20556%201st%20PreProd-2.jpg

rkt88edmo
09-23-2010, 8:44 PM
the reports are that it is a common part to break under hard use in training. at a minimum I'd take a spare to class. Reports on the BCM's are also very positive.

QuarterBoreGunner
09-23-2010, 8:47 PM
Technique should be checking in momentarily... he's broken a bunch of latches.

technique
09-23-2010, 8:53 PM
All prototype were machined that way with zero failures, as the roll pin does not receive the same stress on a BCMGUNFIGHTER™ as a standard GI charging handle and latch.
These do carry the same warrenty as all BCMGUNFIGHTERs.

^^This right here^^
It's the design of the Gunfighter that makes it worth the money, not the latch, not the name. It's designed to relieve stress on the rollpin, the most common place a CH fails. It's the Achilles heel.

Technique should be checking in momentarily... he's broken a bunch of latches.

Here I am.:)

It's not the cost that makes the Gunfighter better, it's the design. I can't stress that enough..I've broken $100 PRI's. They were expensive but not better.

sytfu_RR
09-23-2010, 9:00 PM
BCM all the way. For the price it was one of the best upgrades I did. I have my previous CH pin pop out while I was racking the CH back to load a round. End result the pin got jammed into the upper and had to yank it back out and replace the pin. With the BCM and their design it feels more solid and the roll pin and no longer a issue. I have the mod 4 and just purchased the $25 ones listed above.

russ69
09-23-2010, 9:12 PM
I only use it when I'm putting the gun in it's case. The rest of the time the bolt release does everything I need. I don't do any tactical drills or anything, I just shot the gun.

Thanx, Russ

QuarterBoreGunner
09-23-2010, 9:14 PM
I only use it when I'm putting the gun in it's case. The rest of the time the bolt release does everything I need. I don't do any tactical drills or anything, I just shot the gun.

Thanx, Russ

Well if you ever have to do anything besides just 'shot the gun' you will be very impressed and surprised at what can break and/or go 10-7 under stress.

Peter W Bush
09-23-2010, 9:31 PM
Well if you ever have to do anything besides just 'shot the gun' you will be very impressed and surprised at what can break and/or go 10-7 under stress.

LOL!

Agro
09-23-2010, 9:41 PM
The badger seems nice. This ambidextrous charging handle option seems really expensive but looks neat how it operates.
http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=304

russ69
09-25-2010, 2:28 PM

I guess shooting national matches is stressful but my handloads run 100%. I never broke anything, never even had an alibi. It gets shot 85 rounds max, then things get cleaned and inspected. But in match shooting the bolt is back, then released with the bolt release. The bolt is in the rear position at the start of a stage and at the finish of the stage. I just don't need to use it (charging handle) all that much. It might be a different story if I shot crap ammo and didn't clean very often and had to run clearing drills but that just doesn't happen in my sport. If the gun jams, the RO needs to see it, so you can get a refire. That's never happened to me.

Thanx, Russ