PDA

View Full Version : FIRST HUNT AND FIRST AR-15 BAD COMBO?

awall919
09-23-2010, 3:07 PM
Hello Calguns and fellow California gun enthusiasts. i decided recently to take on hunting as a new pass time due to my deep interest in tactical shooting and the outdoors and fell in love with it. i have acquired ca deer tags for zone D6 2010 season. also i just purchased my first ar-15; a franklin arms hsc-15.

My questions are.. First: i was wondering were there were some good public hunting land in the d6 zone? and also i was going to use my Ar-15 with winchester super x 55gr. tin core soft points for the ammo. so u think that will be a sufficient combo for California deer?

...Any feedback or criticism would be appreciated, especially about hunting areas.

jaymz
09-23-2010, 3:31 PM
I've never hunted D6, so I don't have any advice for you as far as that goes, but .223/5.56 will be fine for CA. deer if you can put your shots where you want them. Shot placement is a bit more critical with the comparatively light bullets. Also, make sure those bullets are approved for use in the "no lead zones".

ocspeedracer
09-23-2010, 3:37 PM
be very carefull of the "no lead zones", don't even carry that ish on you, in your backpack. remember this if you carry a sidearm.

awall919
09-23-2010, 11:11 PM
thank you guys, i appreciate both of your input. i was also worried about the lead free law. fortunately i found some super x 55 gr. lead free tin core bullets. i figure with the lack of recoil from the .223 if i cant put an effective shot on a deer in the boiler works at a descent range, i have no business in the deer woods.
and 'ocspeedreacer', you make a good point about lead free ammo in a side arm, that is something that totally slipped my mind.