PDA

View Full Version : What should I do for the first time before shooting my AR-15?

Vbp6us
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I have some Hoppes 9 solvent and Rem oil. Do I need to use the solvent yet since I have never shot the gun before? Also, what parts of the gun should I be oiling?

thanks

El Gato
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
bolt carrier group...wet...oil...

sight the gun in...there are alot of opinions on that...100 yards give the least deviation poa poi for most users...but chose your method...be happy...shoot the crap outa da gun...:D

NiteQwill
09-23-2010, 12:12 PM
clean

oil

shoot

G-forceJunkie
09-23-2010, 12:13 PM
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M16Clean.htm

quick draw mcgraw
09-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Go buy lots and lots of ammo!! :punk:

Charlie50
09-23-2010, 12:30 PM
Drink lots and lots of coffee/ energy drinks before you shoot, that way you make my shooting look good! :p

Seriously, learn how to adjust your sights, figure out what range you want the rifle to zero at. Read up on sighting in your particular rifle's sighting system. Print out cheap targets, bring masking tape, stapler... normal shooting bag stuff. Relax, control breathing, press that trigger - don't anticipate that its going to fire to reduce your flinch. And learn to control that ear to ear grin, makes others nervous ;)

erratikmind
09-23-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats on the new rig, I assume. ;)

Run a few patches through the barrel with your solvent/cleaner, followed by a couple of clean dry patches.This will remove any gunk. At a minimum use a bore snake. With regard to lubrication . . . Remove the bolt from the carrier and give the bolt a good coating of oil. For the carrier itself, simply apply the oil to the 4 rails . . . Have fun! :)

Josh3239
09-23-2010, 12:41 PM
Lubricate bottom of carrier, cam pin, carrier rails, and bolt lugs at the minimum. Be very liberal applying it. You cannot overlube it, especially on a new build.

Lead-Thrower
09-23-2010, 1:21 PM
Drink lots and lots of coffee/ energy drinks before you shoot, that way you make my shooting look good! :p

Now that you mention it, I never drink coffee on days that I shoot. I did when I first got into shooting, and boy would my shots be all over the place...:rolleyes:

killshot44
09-23-2010, 2:14 PM
I have some Hoppes 9 solvent and Rem oil. Do I need to use the solvent yet since I have never shot the gun before? Also, what parts of the gun should I be oiling?
thanks

First, your treat the entire BCG with powdered Unicorn Hoof, then using cigar smoke (preferably Cuban) blow smoke three times into the barrel. Put the gun down and walk around it backwards twice while chanting "One MOA, One MOA, One MOA".

That should do it!

You might also want to run a patch down the barrel and oil the carrier...

joelogic
09-23-2010, 2:34 PM
Sacrifice a virgin.

SFgiants105
09-23-2010, 2:38 PM
Buy a 1000rd case of Wolf (or PMC if its a DPMS :D) and drive to BLM land with a case of Guinness.

ocspeedracer
09-23-2010, 2:41 PM
Sacrifice a virgin.

I came to post just that...where's my aluminum hat?

evolixsurf
09-23-2010, 4:17 PM
Definately clean the barrel most importantly. They will have a cutting oil or a greese in there to prevent rusting and you need to get that out before you shoot.

I was reading the Army link for cleaning the m16 on the above post... I always thought that you should NOT oil the firing pin and recess. Does anyone have any more info on this? Funny they called it a carrier bolt too....(not a bolt carrier).

JRent54
09-23-2010, 4:42 PM
Load it...shoot it...smile...

Grayblue
09-23-2010, 5:02 PM
Get a sight adjustment tool for zeroing, if you don't like scractching the front sight assembly and wearing out the edges with makeshift tools.

The tip of the bullet does not work as well as miliatry manual suggests.

norcal77
09-23-2010, 5:25 PM
Lubricate bottom of carrier, cam pin, carrier rails, and bolt lugs at the minimum. Be very liberal applying it. You cannot overlube it, especially on a new build.

This is pretty much what I do...just get a can of CLP and go to town..

Mac
09-23-2010, 5:30 PM
Prior to Shooting, recite this:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace! :)

arfan66
09-23-2010, 9:20 PM
Some folks accelerate break in by repeatedly pulling the charging handle back on an empty gun (of course) without a magazine. No need to dry fire unless you want to, it won't hurt the gun. I did 200 pulls on a recent build, wiped off the bolt & carrier, cleaned the barrel extension lugs then relubed everything. Ammo's expensive and I'm cheap W/lots of time on my hands....YMMV

Good Luck!

socal425
09-23-2010, 9:51 PM
Prior to Shooting, recite this:

This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life. My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against
damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace! :)

I love it!
"Pyle!!! What is your major malfunction!" ;)

high_revs
09-24-2010, 8:56 AM
Now that you mention it, I never drink coffee on days that I shoot. I did when I first got into shooting, and boy would my shots be all over the place...:rolleyes:

ditto. i stopped this too once i figured out i cannot just keep the sight as steady as i'd like it to be. mind you, i used to be a heavy coffee drinker so it's just something to help me mentally wake up more. but just good to stop (for me).

Dhena81
09-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Run some patches of CLP down the barrel and get the BCG, bolt, gas rings, and lugs very wet. I think the best zero to be 50 yards then your POI is good to 200 yards because the .223 bullet actually goes up first then down.

ArkinDomino
09-24-2010, 10:39 AM
First, your treat the entire BCG with powdered Unicorn Hoof, then using cigar smoke (preferably Cuban) blow smoke three times into the barrel. Put the gun down and walk around it backwards twice while chanting "One MOA, One MOA, One MOA".

That should do it!

Is this how you give your Stags a serious performance boost?:cool:

Wherryj
09-24-2010, 11:22 AM

That should do it!

I've always read that Unicorn Tears work best...

Vbp6us
09-25-2010, 10:44 PM
OK, I just took the gun apart, BCG, charging handle, and the lower separated. I sprayed the BCG with some rem oil. Then ran a new cloth tip cleaning rod down the barrel and got all the black crap out. The following run throughs nothing but rem oil was coming out. I take it the barrel is now clean?

Thanks

luckystrike
09-26-2010, 7:59 AM
looks like everyones covered it. myself, I apply quite a bit of oil to the bolt itself, bolt lugs and the 4 contact points. however I dont oil the bottom of the carrier because it will be in direct contact with the brass casings and get them all oily, and then being chambered and getting oil in the chamber.
thats just what I do and you dont have to.

zeke2517
09-26-2010, 8:22 AM
Im not trying to jump on someones thread, but i think this one has run is basic Lube course. I would like to chime in on arfan66 post #19. I did this last week with my newest AR, i had a couple minor feed issues with the feed ramps, but that is for another forum. What i am REALLY worried about is the rounds that i ran through using the charging handle. . .they all had an obvious dent in the primer. Luckily not enought to make the round go off, but enough to make me go "humm?" is this normal with brand new AR's?
(if the OP wants this moved to a different thread, just let me know)

RLTW
09-26-2010, 9:58 AM
1. Oil BCG run a patch with oil down the barrel
2. Fire 1 round
3. Rod the barrel with brush and run a patch with oil
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 for 10 rounds

That should give you a minumin barrel break in.

After that, depending on your discreation 30-50 rounds repeat step 3.

Have fun and enjoy!

luckystrike
09-27-2010, 6:13 AM
Im not trying to jump on someones thread, but i think this one has run is basic Lube course. I would like to chime in on arfan66 post #19. I did this last week with my newest AR, i had a couple minor feed issues with the feed ramps, but that is for another forum. What i am REALLY worried about is the rounds that i ran through using the charging handle. . .they all had an obvious dent in the primer. Luckily not enought to make the round go off, but enough to make me go "humm?" is this normal with brand new AR's?
(if the OP wants this moved to a different thread, just let me know)

hmm. no I wouldnt say its normal. never happened with any of mine.
look up "slam fire" just hope your primers are not too sensitive, or else you might have it go rattatattat. im not too sure slam fire applies to ARs.