PDA

View Full Version : Bill Springfield Trigger Job - Whos Got One?

ExtremeX
09-22-2010, 7:47 PM
I started a different thread about triggers and a few members on the forum recommended I send Bill Springfield my AR-15 trigger group for a little makeover.

Just wondering who here has had this done to their AR-15 factory trigger? I got a gritty, notchy, inconsistent break and wanted to improve on that.

I donít want to get my expectations up too high thinking itís going to return as good as a Timney trigger or a RRA Stage 2, but what should be some real expectations for a trigger job from Bill? (After talking to Bill he recommended 4 lbs pull for my application)

Some have told me there is only so much you can do to a stock trigger; and recommend that I purchase a new RRA 2 Stage or a high quality 1 stage trigger. Is it worth it, or should I just play it safe and buy a drop in or a quality 1 stage?

kophinos
09-22-2010, 8:10 PM
i do. i think i like it better than my RRA 2-stage because little beats a single stage with a nice clean break.

ILVSMOG
09-22-2010, 8:15 PM
I had him do my DPMS lpk trigger in my 308 rifle. It's not perfect, but what I sent him was JUNK to start with, so the overall improvement was pretty big.

GasPiston
09-22-2010, 8:30 PM
I have a Bill Springfield trigger and a Timney single stage. They are both really good.

jtzshooters
09-22-2010, 8:34 PM
I have 2 Bill Springfield trigger jobs on my ar's and love them , best bang for your buck trigger work period.

ExtremeX
09-22-2010, 9:09 PM
I have a Bill Springfield trigger and a Timney single stage. They are both really good.

Can you even compare the two?

Please, some details about your trigger job. #3 spring, #4?

Is the Timney still better, or are we talking about a trigger job so good thereís no point of buying a Timney trigger?

Going back to my statement, Iíve been told by various people, thereís only so much improvement you can do to a stock trigger before you need to buy other designs.

I think for the price, Iím going to give it a shot, but I donít have the money to purchase 2-3 different higher end trigger sets for comparison purposes. Unfortunately I have to make an informed decision and run with it.

m1match
09-22-2010, 9:28 PM
I have Geiselle SSA, RRA 2 stage tuned by John Holliger, Armalite 2 stage, and one of Bill Springfield's triggers. The Geissele and the Holliger tuned RRA are the best followed by the Armalite. Bill's trigger is a good value and is probably as good as you can make a stock trigger, but it's not as good as a good 2 stage trigger. It's got about a 4-1/2 lb. break with a very slight amount of creep followed by a crisp break. For $35 its a pretty good value but for me shooting NRA Highpower at my level (Master) I need a better trigger for competition. If I were a beginning shooter who's skills were still developing, I think it would be a good choice.

bubbapug1
09-22-2010, 10:55 PM
I had him do two Uzi's. The difference was incredible.

As to an AR...I'd just stick with a RRA two stage or a gisselle...a single stage trigger is only surface hardened and eventually it will wear if you grind on it too much.

RobT2K
09-22-2010, 11:23 PM
It's good. It's $35. It's not a huge risk if you end up wanting better.

ExtremeX
09-22-2010, 11:29 PM
What’s the main function difference between 1 Stage and 2 Stage trigger (from a technical standpoint) is it how it releases the sear?

Is 2 Stage typically always better than a 1 Stage?

If I ended up getting a 2 Stage, and didn’t like it, could it be re-worked or have the pull shortened?

ExtremeX
09-22-2010, 11:29 PM

As to an AR...I'd just stick with a RRA two stage or a gisselle...a single stage trigger is only surface hardened and eventually it will wear if you grind on it too much.

Are you saying over time the peformance would degrade?

rorschach
09-22-2010, 11:32 PM
I dont have a Springfield trigger job in any of my AR's, but Bill did 2 HK triggers for me, he got rid of the slop and overtravel, smooth as glass with about a 4 1/2 lb break. Probably the best 60 bucks I ever spent on a rifle.

Alecks
09-22-2010, 11:46 PM
I did a homebrew BS trigger job. I used same parts and did what he does, of course his work would be 1000 times better. My trigger job at home made my trigger much better, light and smooth. I just got an armalite LPK and stock the trigger is awesome, I may send that in to him for some trigger job action

Arteel
09-23-2010, 12:18 AM
JP sells a kit that consists of a lightened hammer, trigger, and disconnector spring for about 10 bucks. All you have to do is lightly polish the contact areas on the trigger and hammer to produce a very nice trigger pull. Try that out first, then figure out if you feel the need to upgrade to a more fancy trigger.

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 12:27 AM
JP sells a kit that consists of a lightened hammer, trigger, and disconnector spring for about 10 bucks. All you have to do is lightly polish the contact areas on the trigger and hammer to produce a very nice trigger pull. Try that out first, then figure out if you feel the need to upgrade to a more fancy trigger.

Got a link?

Arteel
09-23-2010, 1:06 AM
http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.8.2_spring.php

AlliedArmory
09-23-2010, 2:46 AM
I personally don't have his work done on my AR15, but I have shot rifles with it done. It greatly improves the stock trigger. Can't beat it for the money.

badicedog
09-23-2010, 4:30 AM
I have Bill's trigger on all my AR's and two HK pistols. Best value/satisfaction for your $$ The only problem I've encountered is the trigger doubled. I immediately took it apart and sent it back to Bill for a replacement. I do not recommend the 3lbs trigger job. It will not ignite certain primers. Stick with the 4lbs trigger job and replace the springs with JP tactical springs and you're golden.

shooting4life
09-23-2010, 8:07 AM
I have a trigger job by him. It is a crisp 4 pounds and super reliable. It will firethe hardest primers and is super reliable as reliability was most important in my application. Well worth the money as I did not want to spend $200+ for another trigger.

BamBam-31
09-23-2010, 8:38 AM
Have a Bill Springfield trigger job on my RRA Predator Pursuit rifle, PTR-91, and Ruger PC9. The man does great work at affordable prices, usually in about a week, too.

BIG :thumbsup: for Bill Springfield.

BamBam-31
09-23-2010, 8:40 AM
I dont have a Springfield trigger job in any of my AR's, but Bill did 2 HK triggers for me, he got rid of the slop and overtravel, smooth as glass with about a 4 1/2 lb break. Probably the best 60 bucks I ever spent on a rifle.

rorschach, that's your best avi yet. :)

Roccobro
09-23-2010, 8:58 AM
OK, who is this B.S. and where can I find him? Seems I have some triggers he needs to do...

Justin

Sky_DiveR
09-23-2010, 9:04 AM
I have a RRA single stage and 2 stage done by him. I also have a friend that had his PTR done by him. Good value for the buck. I also like how he welds up the trigger abit to take out some of the take up. I also replaced the springs with JP's (also recommended by Bill).

I don't have 1000's of rounds thru mine so I cannot comment on the longevity of smoothing up standard trigger groups. I would think that if I were going to shoot 1000's of rounds (ie, competition) I might go with a Timney or Geiselle.

www.triggerwork.net

ExtremeX
09-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Spent way too much time last night reading about triggers...

I saw a few things that started to concern me… Looks like sometimes trigger jobs over time to mil spec triggers can cause excessive wear and cause issues like double fires.

I’ve also rad that the Geiselle advertises their 2 stage trigger to be “safer”. Is this specific to their triggers only, or is that a general design characteristic of a 2 Stage trigger set?

Has there been any documented accidental discharge of a weapon, or a possibility of this happening after a round has been chambered?

Roccobro
09-23-2010, 12:07 PM
Spent way too much time last night reading about triggers...

I saw a few things that started to concern meÖ Looks like sometimes trigger jobs over time to mil spec triggers can cause excessive wear and cause issues like double fires.

Iíve also rad that the Geiselle advertises their 2 stage trigger to be ďsaferĒ. Is this specific to their triggers only, or is that a general design characteristic of a 2 Stage trigger set?

Has there been any documented accidental discharge of a weapon, or a possibility of this happening after a round has been chambered?

Correct.

Justin

killshot44
09-23-2010, 1:21 PM
Another :thumbsup: for Bill Springfield's triggers....Have a 4lb and a 2.5lb, no creep or takeup at all.
Don't worry about wearing 'em out. If they do after 5,000 rounds, get another - they're not expensive.
Used the Geiselle a few times and didn't feel it merited the cost. YMMV.

norcal77
09-23-2010, 4:28 PM

Are you saying over time the peformance would degrade?

I've heard the same thing...it will be good for a couple thousand rounds then eventually it starts to wear..

Scott Connors
09-23-2010, 4:38 PM

To stray away from the thread slightly: wouldn't it be possible to restore the hardness by using Kasenit (from Brownells)? Back when I had a workshop and could do more tinkering on my personal battery I used this after lightly stoning and polishing some stock GI FCG, and I never had one double despite putting a couple of thousand rounds through them.

Has anyone asked Bill about the surface hardening issue?

Roccobro
09-23-2010, 4:40 PM
To stray away from the thread slightly: wouldn't it be possible to restore the hardness by using Kasenit (from Brownells)? Back when I had a workshop and could do more tinkering on my personal battery I used this after lightly stoning and polishing some stock GI FCG, and I never had one double despite putting a couple of thousand rounds through them.

Has anyone asked Bill about the surface hardening issue?

Yes it is possible. That is what I do for my stuff.

Justin