PDA

View Full Version : Valmet .308 on Gunbroker...Can I buy it?

CAAKMS
09-22-2010, 11:23 AM
I also posted this over in the Commercial Deals section...but wasn't sure if that was the right place. I'm not sure if this is where to post this either, but I found this auction on Gunbroker for a Valmet .308 and it claims that the rifle is not marked with a model number...so it would not be listed on the CA ban list. I was thinking about bidding but was not sure the legalities on this. I know I can't have the 20 round magazines or I have to take them apart. I would love to have a Valmet, but never thought I could own one in Kalifornia. What do you think? Here's the auction link:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=192081206

GM4spd
09-22-2010, 11:56 AM
This same situation has come up with some models of the Israeli "Galil". Although it
(the Valmet) may not be ID with the model#--it could still be deemed a banned AW.
I doubt you could even get most dealers to bring it in for you and once
here--what then? Even if the seller agreed to send it to CA,you need a maglock, 10 rd mags,and then you still have
a weapon that could easily be seen as an AW(by law enforcement) which would be a
violation under the original AWB. The Valmet is just a more refined AK copy and
is a better rifle(I have owned them outside CA),I think the 308 version may well be a milled rcvr (as opposed to something stamped out of tin cans.)Pete

Rekrab
09-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Since Valmet is not banned by brand I would say you're fine. The seller is obviously California friendly and willing to ship with a bullet button installed. Make sure that your FFL is willing to accept it before you consider buying.

darkest2000
09-22-2010, 12:39 PM
If it's not listed then it's not listed. The list is black and white, not hard to figure out. The CA DOJ has no problem advising people that AK and AR series are all banned. Doesn't mean it's the law. This is all part of the OLL game.

Just check with your dealer first before you do anything. What some dealer considers OK might make another really nervous.

CAAKMS
09-22-2010, 2:50 PM
Well, I'd love to buy the rifle, but I checked on things and I just don't have the money right now. Wish I did, I don't think that I'm going to find another rifle like this that I would be able to get in Cali.

sd_shooter
09-22-2010, 2:52 PM
Well, I'd love to buy the rifle, but I checked on things and I just don't have the money right now. Wish I did, I don't think that I'm going to find another rifle like this that I would be able to get in Cali.

You also won't find one that's just $2500...

Quiet
09-22-2010, 6:07 PM
Make 100% sure it is not marked with a listed model number.

Banned by make/model.
(make) Valmet (model) M62S [Roberti-Roos]
(make) Valmet (model) M71S [Roberti-Roos]
(make) Valmet (model) M78S [Roberti-Roos]
(make) Valmet (model) M76S [Kasler]
(make) Valmet (model) Hunter Rifle [Kasler]

CAAKMS
09-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Has anyone seen a Valmet .308 for sale anywhere in Southern Cali...or anywhere in the state for that matter.