PDA

View Full Version : Q regarding FFL01>FFL03 transfer of rifle

jl1252
09-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Hello,

I am a licensed collector (FFL03), and I received a rifle from a large mail order/internet distributor and upon entering it into my A/D book I noticed the serial number on the hang tag and invoice was different than the actual serial number on the rifle.

To explain, the serial number had a 2 letter prefix followed by several numbers...the leading letter of the serial number on the gun was different than the one listed on the hang tag and invoice. I think it was an honest mistake or typo as the leading letter on the gun was an "R" and the invoice and hang tag had it as a "B", two letters easily mistaken for each other. I'm positive its an "R" as its stamped several other places on the rifle and its clear as day.

I've already alerted the company I purchased the rifle from and they seem at a loss. I am currently waiting for a call back from a supervisor with a solution. While I am waiting, I wanted to ask the gallery of knoweledgeable FFL's on the is forum what actually has to happen from here?

I was thinking the rifle has to go back to the company so they can verify they goofed on the serial number and then trace it back through their own records to correct the mistake and then send it back to me.

Just wanted to bounce the situation off you guys while I wait for the offical solution from the company.

thanks,
jl1252

jtmkinsd
09-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Hello,

I am a licensed collector (FFL03), and I received a rifle from a large mail order/internet distributor and upon entering it into my A/D book I noticed the serial number on the hang tag and invoice was different than the actual serial number on the rifle.

To explain, the serial number had a 2 letter prefix followed by several numbers...the leading letter of the serial number on the gun was different than the one listed on the hang tag and invoice. I think it was an honest mistake or typo as the leading letter on the gun was an "R" and the invoice and hang tag had it as a "B", two letters easily mistaken for each other. I'm positive its an "R" as its stamped several other places on the rifle and its clear as day.

I've already alerted the company I purchased the rifle from and they seem at a loss. I am currently waiting for a call back from a supervisor with a solution. While I am waiting, I wanted to ask the gallery of knoweledgeable FFL's on the is forum what actually has to happen from here?

I was thinking the rifle has to go back to the company so they can verify they goofed on the serial number and then trace it back through their own records to correct the mistake and then send it back to me.

Just wanted to bounce the situation off you guys while I wait for the offical solution from the company.

thanks,
jl1252

Well there is no reason really to send the gun back to the distributor. It's basically a bookeeping error on their side and doesn't have any impact on your end. A tag is just a tag...your only concern is what number is actually on the gun. Incorrect serial numbers happen all the time. You can let them know about their error...even send them a picture if you want...but that's about as far as I would go.

You could ask them to re-issue an invoice without a serial number, just make and model if you want something saying you "own" the gun.

jl1252
09-22-2010, 11:08 AM
Well there is no reason really to send the gun back to the distributor. It's basically a bookeeping error on their side and doesn't have any impact on your end. A tag is just a tag...your only concern is what number is actually on the gun. Incorrect serial numbers happen all the time. You can let them know about their error...even send them a picture if you want...but that's about as far as I would go.

Thanks for the speedy relpy...well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and it looks like they recorded the wrong serial number in their books and wanted pics sent to them so they can fix their recordkeeping error...I am elated that I don't have to go through the hassel of sending it back.

jl1252

kemasa
09-22-2010, 11:54 AM
This is why FFLs should ALWAYS look at the firearm to confirm the serial number, that is the only thing that can't be wrong. I received a firearm in which the box had a different serial number. It was for a FNRA event and was engraved, but it seems that no one else looked at the actual firearm.

jtmkinsd
09-22-2010, 12:00 PM
This is why FFLs should ALWAYS look at the firearm to confirm the serial number, that is the only thing that can't be wrong. I received a firearm in which the box had a different serial number. It was for a FNRA event and was engraved, but it seems that no one else looked at the actual firearm.

Gun shows are great for this....learned a long time ago the only place you should look for the serial number is on the gun!

jl1252
09-23-2010, 7:52 PM

The funny thing is I recorded the serial number off the rifle into my boundbook and it wasn't until I looked at the invoice that i noticed the numbers were different. I looked at the rifle again to make sure I wasn't seeing things and realized they goofed. Had just recorded the number and discarded the invoice the dealer would have never know about their discrepancy until audit time guess.

jl1252